24-Sep Downtime

mikelong

Re: 24-Sep Downtime

Post Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:08 am

For my needs the site is fully functional today

sergiopadura

Post Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:20 am

After reading most of the post here and visited some of the sites people recommends as interesting I must agree with the pbasers who decided to stay here. In my humble opinion the rate service/cost at PBase is priceless, the chance to custom your CSS if needed is absolutely great, web positioning is good and the chance to view others pbasers work is far easy than other sites. About the stats, hitcounts, votes and so... well, might be interesting to many but is not my case, I´m really tired of those vote chasers just posting: Nice work! Beautiful! and these easy copy and paste words that you can see spread all around... for this I decided to disable the vote and comment option in most of my galleries. About the hits and stats is not useful because it means almost nothing specially when you see that many of the most viewed images here are not necesarily connected with photography art but with girls on a sexy attitude :).
I deeply recommend to those who really want to show, critic and specially be their work screened check Onexposure.com I just say 90% of the PBasers images, included most of mines will be not published there. Please check!!! Guts needed!!
As an example of the previous, my image http://www.pbase.com/sergiopadura/image/117136250 was not even cosidered to be publish and inmediately rejected at onexposure.com, was my first and last try at the moment. That image was also screened by Apple to be publish on their new OSX Snow Leopard and you can find it as scrensaver and desktop option on it. I must thank PBase for that because Apple found the image browsing here.
I must say that another image served with the OSX Snow Leopard is from a Onexposure.com photographer.

I´ll stay here as mikelong, reflectionsbyruth, fishkit and many more. And if I need a pro gallery I will build my own site, that´s what pros do.
A big hug to all,

Sergio

PD: I didn´t post before because during the downtime I took my chances shooting that spending my time with the computer looking for votes, hits and other ego matters.

dennislaska

Post Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:31 pm

sergiopadura wrote:As an example of the previous, my image http://www.pbase.com/sergiopadura/image/117136250 was not even cosidered to be publish and inmediately rejected at onexposure.com, was my first and last try at the moment.
I´ll stay here as mikelong, reflectionsbyruth, fishkit and many more. And if I need a pro gallery I will build my own site, that´s what pros do.
A big hug to all,

Sergio

PD: I didn´t post before because during the downtime I took my chances shooting that spending my time with the computer looking for votes, hits and other ego matters.

What a SLAM against people who's needs/values are hit counts and views. Not everyone is here for the same reasons. And people post their views but geez. And I could care less about hit counts and views.

Ego?

And you post "As an example of the previous, my image http://www.pbase.com/sergiopadura/image/117136250"

Just saying...don't slam other peoples views and needs.

romansphotos

Post Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:25 pm

sergiopadura wrote:After reading most of the post here and visited some of the sites people recommends as interesting I must agree with the pbasers who decided to stay here. In my humble opinion the rate service/cost at PBase is priceless, the chance to custom your CSS if needed is absolutely great, web positioning is good and the chance to view others pbasers work is far easy than other sites. About the stats, hitcounts, votes and so... well, might be interesting to many but is not my case, I´m really tired of those vote chasers just posting: Nice work! Beautiful! and these easy copy and paste words that you can see spread all around... for this I decided to disable the vote and comment option in most of my galleries. About the hits and stats is not useful because it means almost nothing specially when you see that many of the most viewed images here are not necesarily connected with photography art but with girls on a sexy attitude :).
I deeply recommend to those who really want to show, critic and specially be their work screened check Onexposure.com I just say 90% of the PBasers images, included most of mines will be not published there. Please check!!! Guts needed!!
As an example of the previous, my image http://www.pbase.com/sergiopadura/image/117136250 was not even cosidered to be publish and inmediately rejected at onexposure.com, was my first and last try at the moment. That image was also screened by Apple to be publish on their new OSX Snow Leopard and you can find it as scrensaver and desktop option on it. I must thank PBase for that because Apple found the image browsing here.
I must say that another image served with the OSX Snow Leopard is from a Onexposure.com photographer.

A big hug to all,

Sergio

My landscape work can hold up to any at the site you mention....and I need the numbers to see what peices are being responded to by the public. It helps me keep my printed protfolio up to date when I go on showings to insure I am recieved well.

I just want my site to work, and if it isn't working, I want to have at least SOME communication of when functionality will be returned. Thats all I am complaning about....and I am OK to do so. If I communicated with my customers the way Slug does to his....well...I wouldnt expect too many customers to hang around is all. Their communication skills are serious lacking....and most of us are just asking them to do what it takes to change that...I dont care if its a Nag reminder in outlook to remind them to post here once a week on the updates....just freakin do it.

Roman

sergiopadura

Post Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:01 pm

I didn´t pretend to slam nobody. I would like to have PBase to run 100% as everybody here, but I just wanted to explain why the stats, hits and votes are not so important to me. If these features work again fine, better, but are not crucial to me. But I also understand that could be valuable to others and I respect that, really, as I respect all kind of photography and people here specially those who just use it to show in a humble way their work.
About my ego related with the info about the image at Apple I said clearly that is an example how useful PBase was for me and how it serves to other people, I didn´t say it is a great image and for many people is a simple easy and empty image as it happened with the screeners at Onexposure and I also respect that. But this is a nice subject for another forum.
We all like to receive nice comments and recognition about what we do and for many is kindda support. I just explained my needs doesn´t put stats as a priority but if for others yes, OK, it could be helpful in some ways as for romansphotos (niced pictures indeed) said.

Maybe I shouldn´t connect ego and stats in such direct and vulgar manner please forgive me for that I understand some could feel offended. Please accept my appologies.

Best,

Sergio

dennislaska

Post Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:26 pm

sergiopadura wrote:I didn´t pretend to slam nobody. I would like to have PBase to run 100% as everybody here, but I just wanted to explain why the stats, hits and votes are not so important to me. If these features work again fine, better, but are not crucial to me. But I also understand that could be valuable to others and I respect that, really, as I respect all kind of photography and people here specially those who just use it to show in a humble way their work.
About my ego related with the info about the image at Apple I said clearly that is an example how useful PBase was for me and how it serves to other people, I didn´t say it is a great image and for many people is a simple easy and empty image as it happened with the screeners at Onexposure and I also respect that. But this is a nice subject for another forum.
We all like to receive nice comments and recognition about what we do and for many is kindda support. I just explained my needs doesn´t put stats as a priority but if for others yes, OK, it could be helpful in some ways as for romansphotos (niced pictures indeed) said.

Maybe I shouldn´t connect ego and stats in such direct and vulgar manner please forgive me for that I understand some could feel offended. Please accept my appologies.

Best,

Sergio

No problem Sergio.

The lack of communication from pbase has caused a lot frustrations for many people. Everyone does have different needs. We all need to respect the members who have no issues here and the others who would like the support they expect and pay for.

Nice image of Monte Oroel by the way ;0)

d~

romansphotos

Post Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:08 pm

sergiopadura wrote:I didn´t pretend to slam nobody. I would like to have PBase to run 100% as everybody here, but I just wanted to explain why the stats, hits and votes are not so important to me. If these features work again fine, better, but are not crucial to me. But I also understand that could be valuable to others and I respect that, really, as I respect all kind of photography and people here specially those who just use it to show in a humble way their work.

Best,

Sergio

No problem Sergio....just wanted you to understand a few things...not everyone is here for the ego trip (even though the positive feedback is good for our soul and self esteem...lol) and not everyone is here for the exact same reason as you are. So a blanket answer dosnt cover the situation. I would be a LOT more patient....(and a lot less vocal) if they just gave us a weekly update...it really isn't hard nor is it too much to ask.

Roman

trinko

Post Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:06 pm

Are the PBase staff space aliens? That would explain the lack of communications. Perhaps they jaunted off to Zeta Renticuli for some spare parts? Or maybe the crash wrecked their translating devices? Perhaps Slug is a description not a name? :) Maybe the back up power failed due to slime accretion?

I just can't figure why they can't say where they are on their plan to get the stats fixed. I mean they must have some sort of plan right? Something like this week design, next week prototype, third week test, fourth week deploy. I don't mind the delay, I mind the "we don't give a darn what the customer thinks" attitude. I mean a great company would have set up a twitter account, a good company would make daily updates, a marginal company would have weekly updates, and PBase may have monthly updates. Chinese water torture works because of the uncertainty. If PBase would even say something like, "no stats for 2 months". it would relieve some of the uncertainty.

I admit I like stats because I like it when folk say they like my pictures--3 likes in one sentence, new record!. It also gives me an idea of what other people find interesting so when I do submit photos to competitions, such as the ones at DPReview, I can pick ones that appeal to more than just me. Also it's interesting to know what others like. Some of my highest hit photos are ones that I consider marginal.

As to cost PBase is no charity at $23/year for 0.5GB since the disk space costs < $1 and the amount of traffic I generate isn't that much. I don't mind the PBase folks making a profit but they get enough money in to afford to keep things working, including the stats.

beyer

Post Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:25 am

"PBase Update 22-Oct-2009 The hitcounts code is still being worked on. We are implementing a new method that will allow more information to be available to you. This is our highest priority right now and we should see the first update soon."

Krs
Beyer

ianm_au

Post Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:53 am

my free counter has gone missing. Can we please, pretty please, please I will even pay another subscription can we have our counters back.

Ian M

rmcalpine

Post Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:16 pm

My third-party flag counter stopped working about two-hours ago. Coincidence???? I think it's well overtime for a frank and complete update, complete with expectations and a schedule.

Am I just talking to myself?

fishit

Post Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:23 pm

rmcalpine wrote:Am I just talking to myself?
Yes you are.

FYI, my Analytics is working fine.

autolycus

Post Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:37 pm

fishit wrote:
rmcalpine wrote:Am I just talking to myself?
Yes you are.

FYI, my Analytics is working fine.

my not.. i m still waiting...

i like a lot pbase!!!!

enjoy!

ramon of italy

vermenton

Post Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:06 pm

By now we should all have a clear idea of what is going on at Phase . The lack of communication revel the non professional attitude of the management team of this website. And I wish member would stop crying about the issue and take the matter in their hand and find a new website. The only way to get through it’s to hurt where it matter. I move to a different website and will wait until my membership expired but will keep Pbase as a relay. Words are futile if there are no actions. One can’t do much a 1000 can do more a million is power.

klopus

Post Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:33 pm

To be fair despite PBase many infuriating competitive shortcomings (slowness, instability, dismal support, frozen in time features, no external API, outdated look, etc.) few things definitely make it unique - community orientation and direct CSS personalization (if you are technical enough). Being tired of instability, slowness and now hit counter issues I was recently shopping around looking mostly at Zenfolio and SmugMug. First thing you notice looking at their home pages is how it's hard to actually find how to browse galleries and see what's popular. Just try to find where's it on Zenfolio page (hint - you may want a loupe). Similar thing with SmugMug. Their home pages are mostly about marketing themselves and much less about photos and users. Compare this to PBase home page where browsing is very prominent, it was even more so in prior versions. Funny thing is that if you manage to find on Zenfolio home page where's the browse link it leads to a very comprehensive image search page. I think that Zenfolio and SmugMug get most of their money from hosting pros with higher level accounts which drives their priorities. PBase is more like unkempt Flickr or Picasaweb but with ability to change background from white to black and with community more concentrated on photography than on snapshots.

Personally I'm still on the fence about leaving PBase and after more than few years with it quite sad that I even have to contemplate such a thing. Jumping is complicated by the fact that PBase locks you in due to the lack of public API. There's no easy way to export your galleries and import them to another site. There are many free utilities (even iPhone apps) that allow you to migrate between popular photo sharing sites like Flickr, SmugMug, Photobucket, Zenfolio, etc. With PBase you are locked, probably by design.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime