Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime

News

24-Sep Downtime

alpiner

Re: 24-Sep Downtime

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:56 pm

Come on PBase...... Just reassure us you're still there and hopefully doing your best! That would help.

gb_eh

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:09 pm

I was thinking about leaving Pbase prior to the major failure due to performance issues etc... The failure was the final nail in the coffin for me. Even though I still have 7 months remaining on my membership, I've join Zenfolio. I've been following this thread and still being a paying member I'd like to add my two cents.

Lack of communication is the norm not a recent trend. I've said this before, look at this "NEWS" forum we are currently using. All new threads have to be started by someone at Pbase, yet the one prior to this was created in Oct'08 which was explaining another service failure. This would be the perfect area to place detailed service notices to the user community, yet Pbase fails to do it. They could also announce new features, but as far as I know there haven't been any since Jun'08 (3rd most recent post here).

People are saying you're only pay $23 you're expecting too much, if you want better service expect to pay more at competing service providers etc... When I decided to leave Pbase I looked elsewhere and compared offerings. Pbase isn't extremely cheap, in fact they're over priced by comparison if Storage alone was the benchmark. So one has to ask what is Pbase providing that is so much better/different than the others?

Do their features match what the others provide?
- I'd have to say No, Pbase has fallen behind in this regard. For many this is perfectly fine. But some of the features elsewhere provide a more professional look/feel for visitors without the need to know / time spent dealing with CSS. Most of the other providers use newer Web browser technology Web2.0 etc...

Are other systems more stable than Pbase?
- Time will tell, I can say that Zenfolio has been down once for 4hrs in the month that i've been a member. However that was for scheduled maintenance and enhancements to the system (adding features) and it was well communicated to the users, by multiple methods.

Does Pbase provide better support ?
- Again I'd have to say No. Their handling of this latest failure has been terrible. Lack of communication being the biggest part. Why wouldn't you restore a working feature on the system after a crash before trying to deploy a new and improved replacement (Stat Counter) makes no sense to me? Would this not have been better handled with "The system is working 100% now, and by the way the Pbase team intends to deploy a new and improved Stat feature very soon". Someone on another Forum has been having problems paying for their account and cant upload until the issue has been resolved. They have tried to contact Pbase support via a few methods with no resolve and worse no response?

I feel that the people at Pbase are running this more as a hobby or co operative than a company. If this is truely the case then they should communicate this better to their current users and potential new users. Their out of date and unprofessional "Terms of Service" page reflects their lack of business type handling of their service with the following excerpts:

It starts off with:
"The basic meaning of the following is that PBASE is not going to take advantage of its users, and expects its users not to take advantage of it"

- Are they not by accepting my money and not providing a completely working system? Stats haven't work since failure, Search engine has never worked properly for years.
- How exactly can a user take advantage of them?

"Usage Limits
Until such time that disk and bandwidth usage begins to seriously degrade performance, there are no limits.
If problems arise, PBASE will then do whatever is necessary to keep everything running well.
Update 25-Mar-2002 - pbase will soon be changing to a paid subscription system. The costs of servers and bandwidth has become very high. "

- Why hasn't this been updated?
- You have changed to a Paid business model, you need to change your operating attitude with it.

"Note from Slug:
I run this site. I view everyone as people and fellow photographers, not as customers.
I do and will do everything I can to keep pbase.com running forever because I don't want people to hate me, and I have no corporate entity to hide behind."

- So i'm not a customer?
- Is Slug the only person behind this endeavour, how many people are involved do they need to hire staff?
- SmugMug claims to have a staff of 50?

I for one think it's time for a re:think by Pbase and it's users. What is Pbase's operating business model. They seem to think it's not a business, but as soon as they started collecting a membership fee they became just that a business. Maybe without a corporate entity to hide behind but a business just the same. As for users they need to think about what they are willing to live with or without from the service to retain the sense of community that Pbase offers (and that is i think the main feature they still retain). However a community without a stable center to congregate around wont last for long.

Sorry to rant a bit and ramble on.. but that's my three cents worth.. Glen

http://gallen.zenfolio.com/

Basic/Paid Service

Zenfolio:
$25/Year save $5 with Code: M8F-9HH-67G (disclaimer i save $5 too)
1 Gig Storage (increases 1 Gig for every yr of membership)

SmugMug:
$40/Year
Storage: unlimited

Flickr:
$25/Year
Storage: unlimited

PhotoBucket:
$25/Yr
Storage: 25Gig

ellen_morgan

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:20 pm

From a friend:

"an outfit I worked for did a survey of customers who had come in with problems that were out of warranty and wanted them covered.

They focused on two specific groups. Group 1, got what they wanted. But characterized the people they dealt with as defensive, unsympathetic and uncaring.
Group 2, did not get what they wanted. But characterized the people they dealt with as open, caring, and sympathetic to their plight.

Group 1: 4 out of 5 said they would not likely come back for another purchase. Even though they got their repairs for free.

Group 2: an almost equal number said they would be back. Even though they did not get what they asked for and wound up paying for their repairs.

Moral of the story... Don't be defensive, treat people like you really care. Even better yet, do care. "

william_moss_photography

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:27 pm

Like so many others, I have been patiently waiting, waiting, waiting. I have two accounts here and have been reasonably pleased with PBase since I joined in 2003.

Today, for the first time, I've begun looking at other solutions.

I hate that it's come to this...

romansphotos

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:51 pm

ajuett wrote:
mytmoss wrote:Maybe they should charge more than $23 and #1 provide more reliable service which most people seem to want and #2 communicate with their user base. I for one would pay more for reliability.
Mike

There, you just proved my point. To get better service and communication you personally would do so by offering to paying more. Going to a deticated or shared server and paying more is needed if you want near 100% uptime service.

I think most here (myself included) are not looking for 100% uptime. If the server went down and was back up in a few days and we had solid comunication....most of the ill feelings would not be posted here. Were talking 26 days now without a full return to functionability. 26 days is MORE than enough time to have everything running....and more than enough to get more communications out with updates.

Roman

downsouthstories

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:53 pm

This is the first time I've been back on Pbase for a few months as recoverin from major operation.
However, my family let me know what was happenin with the down time etc.

My membership is up for renewal but I ain't payin up till site is runnin smoothly inc stats.
I agree with previous posters that a little communication would go a long way - just keep us all
posted with progress (if any).

Not holdin my breath!

Mike

peterkwok

Flickr was down today

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:35 pm

Down time on Flickr is measured in hours.
Down time on PBase is measured in weeks.

dennislaska

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:44 pm

ellen_morgan wrote:From a friend:

"an outfit I worked for did a survey of customers who had come in with problems that were out of warranty and wanted them covered.

They focused on two specific groups. Group 1, got what they wanted. But characterized the people they dealt with as defensive, unsympathetic and uncaring.
Group 2, did not get what they wanted. But characterized the people they dealt with as open, caring, and sympathetic to their plight.

Group 1: 4 out of 5 said they would not likely come back for another purchase. Even though they got their repairs for free.

Group 2: an almost equal number said they would be back. Even though they did not get what they asked for and wound up paying for their repairs.

Moral of the story... Don't be defensive, treat people like you really care. Even better yet, do care. "

Very good point.

I don't think anyone expects perfection, but communication goes a long way.

Yes it's only $23/yr. but no business should treat it's customers according to what they charge.

And we have choices. One I've been using for the last month (of pbase down time) is squarespace. It costs more but very professional. I would also love to keep my pbase account if they can get their act together.

I noticed a lot of my favorites friends galleries not being updated and I hope they stick around too, but the ball is not in our court.

stabone

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:21 pm

Apparently slug and the "Pbase team" do not read this forum, nor care about their customers enough to at least provide us with an update or status report. Their sketchy communication on October 8 and nothing since is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE--to say nothing about the time that has elapsed without restoring full service. They apparently do not care about maintaining their customer base. I am leaving like others to Zenfolio, who operate their site as a business and not a hobby.

pegsam

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:47 am

In searching around for other photosharing sites I have come to realize that the real strength of PBase is the community or social features. No other site (Flickr, SmugMug, BlueMelon, etc.) comes close --- especially if you consider no pop-ups, annoying ads, or profanity riddled comments. So, when PBase goes down its greatest asset becomes worthless.

I've titled the following "Now More Than Ever"

Wouldn't it be great if I knew how many times people have viewed this image? :roll:

mikelong

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:15 am

Site is working GREAT today! You can keep the stats if it'll help keep pbase running like this

djailledie

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:07 am

mikelong wrote:Site is working GREAT today! You can keep the stats if it'll help keep pbase running like this

Sure. The less users you have, the better it performs.

mikelong

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:16 am

I'll send an email to support to suggest this - eliminate the stats and limit the number of users. If people want to jump ship so be it.

paninic

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:18 pm

In fact I'm really Ok with you and perhaps with what I'm going to say, may be certains, 'll be angry. But first, personnally, I use Pbase only as a passionnated amateur and not in a professionnal way ( and I understand that for us stats 'll be important..). My own pleasure is to discover the talent of others ans show unpretentiously my pictures.
Statistics is not for me essential. Sûre it's funny to see how many persons have seen them but only funny, no more.
For the major part of his function, for me, Pbase goes very well, really easy to use and very friendly. News images come very fast from every where in the wordl. What beautiful creations to discover at all moments!
I don't know the life level of all countries but in France, 23$ is only the price of two places to see a movie....
so to speak, quite nothing.....And for this little price I've one year of pleasure.
Conclusion, with or without stats, Mikelong, I'm ok to stay with you and many others, I hope, on the boat....

sambashir

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:46 pm

This is directed at pBase management: The last update as far as I know is on our profile page and is dated October 08. It is now October 21st.

1) What is happening?
2) When are we getting back up to 100%.
3) Do you guys ever read what's in the forums?

Shit happens but get a clue pBase management! Just communicate with us!

Sam

This msg also sent to support@pbase.com

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime