Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime

News

24-Sep Downtime

mytmoss

Re: 24-Sep Downtime

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:41 pm

ajuett wrote:I'm not defending, I'm wondering why people go ballistic when something like this happens. It's not a mission critical site.

Pbase has only one mission, to deliver what folks pay for. Therefore it is mission critical for Pbase. It is their one reason for existence.

Mike

aviles

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:06 pm

Almost four weeks without statistics? Almost two weeks without updates? Unbelievable. Unacceptable. Unprofessional.

Shame on you!

stabone

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:02 pm

I have been patiently waiting for everything to be back to normal, but what is worse than not having everything operating again is not knowing the status of what Pbase is doing. How about giving us an update! The last update/information that I have seen was on October 8. It is now October 19. It's been 11 days without a word!

ajuett

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:30 am

mytmoss wrote:
ajuett wrote:I'm not defending, I'm wondering why people go ballistic when something like this happens. It's not a mission critical site.

Pbase has only one mission, to deliver what folks pay for. Therefore it is mission critical for Pbase. It is their one reason for existence.

Mike

That is generalizing. Paying a tiny fee of $23 a year is not considered to be related with mission critical servers. It is not logical to expect PBase to match the redundancy and uptime of a company who charges you, for example; $49 a month for shared disk space or $129+ for a dedicated server.
Pentax

mauisp

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:59 am

:D Hi all,
maybe this isn't the right place for this but I just wanted to say that the people in the pbase community are just awesome photographers! All of you! I may not leave comments all the time when I visit your pages but I just love everyone's photos! I get a lot of inspiration from all of you and I get to see places that I probably will never be able visit!
Smugmug has lots of bells and whistles but the community side is lacking and nothing like here at pbase.
The only reason that keeps me here is because of my fellow brethren in photography with their nice comments and suggestions. This place means a lot to me because of you, not the cheap prices or whatever fancy things that they provide us with.
I don't fault the way people are feeling about the shutdown and continued breakdown of communication and its sad to see people going after each other because of it. Lots of photographers here on Maui have sold their equipment and moved elsewhere because the economy here is so bad. And I feel for everyone of them and us here at pbase. These are difficult times for us all.
I wish you all the best no matter where you are from,I meet photographers from all over the world who visit here from pros to amateurs but one thing we all have in common is the love for photography! :P :wink:

Aloha!
john

mytmoss

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:01 am

They get paid for a service. They have only 1 service. It is not generalizing. The amount of money paid is completely irrelevant.

Now if they did their advertising and stated they guaranteed no up time, no service and no communication for $23, then I suppose it would be OK if I still wanted to give them my money. They do state that they do not guarantee any picture loss which I find a bit odd given what they do, but that is on their user agreement. They do not represent themselves as a low cost alternative to other sites with no promise of reliability. If they did so, I suspect there would be a lot of people making other choices.

Mission critical is defined as vital to the operation of the organization. The term is very popular for describing the applications required to run the day-to-day business.

Maybe they should charge more than $23 and #1 provide more reliable service which most people seem to want and #2 communicate with their user base. I for one would pay more for reliability.

I see no reason to defend them here. I have not seen anything here that resembles how any normal business would operate given a crisis. My comments are critical but constructive.

Mike

ronaldgjohnson

Re: No stats; 26 days and counting

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:09 am

No stats. 26 days and counting. Are stats important? To some, no...to me, yes.

ajuett

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:14 am

mytmoss wrote:Maybe they should charge more than $23 and #1 provide more reliable service which most people seem to want and #2 communicate with their user base. I for one would pay more for reliability.
Mike

There, you just proved my point. To get better service and communication you personally would do so by offering to paying more. Going to a deticated or shared server and paying more is needed if you want near 100% uptime service.
Pentax

mytmoss

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:37 am

I did not prove your point. They took our money and are providing substandard service.

If they want to raise their rates, then they can do so. However they did not do so as of yet and because they have decided what their fees should be, then they need to provide proper service. When I paid $23 I did not expect a site with this many problems. If I paid less or more, I would have expectations of up time, performance and communication. The dollar amount is not the issue.

So if they decide they need to charge more to provide industry level of service, I would most likely pay for it, the same as I paid $23 expecting industry standard service.

Mike

mikelong

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:39 am

I doubt it's about money at all. My sense is that they simply want out.

ianm_au

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 am

Some of the posters here do nothing but waffle.

What you are complaining about is not new, been happening since I joined in 2003.

What most of us were hoping was that with appointment of moderators communications might improve.

I should stop tilting at windmills and go and photograph something. Ahh therapy.

Ian M

dougj

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:51 am

Very little has changed in the 7 years that I've been here, a few features have been added, but PBase is basically stuck in time. I gave up years ago trying to improve communications - posting in the forums on the topic, sending emails to PBase, etc. There were no improvements and no replies. I take PBase at surface value, it is what it is. I don't set my expectations much beyond what I see in front of me when I log in, and I live with it. I also don't depend on PBase to put food on the table.

I like the PBase style, format and the community - the interaction of users helping users, the photo challenges, PAD and all. There are a lot of good photographers that PBase is fortunate to have as members. A lot of this offsets the negatives, but it doesn't work for everyone.

djailledie

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:25 pm

I can't really remember... what year was this famous September 24th where we permanently lost hopes and PBase lost users? 2009 or 2010?? :lol:

ngruev

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:50 pm

Give me back my statistics! I am running out of patience. I would not have given a damn about YOUR statistics, if you did not eliminated the ones I had installed for my self. Now I have none.
Are you afraid to have the statistics back, so we do not see the result of your mishap? Are there any visitors at all?

mikelong

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:14 pm

I'll be happy if they simply remove the ridiculous "Important News Update" in red on my profile page. As if I need a reminder that nothing has changed :roll:

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime