Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime

News

24-Sep Downtime

mikelong

Re: 24-Sep Downtime

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:58 am

Ongoing technical problems and lack of communication, that is...

the_glebe

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:21 am

Its now a week since the last official update. When a pointed out an error to support I was referred to this message of 8th Oct.

Time for an information update guys!

paninic

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:42 am

Every time I come on the forum and on this topic ( and this, more than once in a day...). I take a look at the images of who have posted...since my last visit... Mikelong, Soenda, The_Globe, Bracciodiferro, Ajuett, Dennislaska, Imorozoff, Djailledie, Ronaldgjohnson, Mytmoss, Isolaverde.....and all the others..." Your pictures are really beautiful....!!!!"

In fact , in the midst of " bad news and serious interrogations", it's also an other way to discover more than Pbase is overall a great and beautiful community of talents and photographers...

Perhaps, I'm an incorrigible tolerant and optimist ...Sorry....but these little words to try to relax a little, the dark surroundings...

Pbase without stats, sure, it's not the top...but all our images are here and every minutes, news fine photographies appear....and it is ,for now, for me , for us I hope, in waiting good news ....the essential, No? :)

Pat

lewinp

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:23 pm

That for me is the shame of it - some very inspiring work by talented people all around the world - its a shame the administration of this site - or the level of paying customer support - or investments in technology - isn't up to the quality of the photography.

pBase's pathetic response to this situation (in terms of time and communication) really shows their true character.

jehan
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:38 pm

I common issue in this thread is communication. I do not intend for this to be a specific response to a specific post or email. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and deserves to get what they pay for. Many of you have wondered why there is not a daily update. I am sure Emily will post an update when she has "new" information to share as was done during the outage. An update everyday could very well be the same update that was posted the day before, which will anger most and confuse others. PBase staff is communicating with a large numbers of emails daily (which we try to answer in a timely manner, first come first serve). Truth be told, if you want answers to questions this is the best way to communicate with us. Due to the increased amount of emails, it does not allow us the opportunity to patrol the forums and comment on every post or thought. The largest room is the one for improvement. Yes, we will readily agree that communication could be improved and we will do all that we can to improve in this area.

the_glebe

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:50 am

I don't think that anyone would expect you to patrol the forums and post a reply to everyone, but maybe the box now added to everyone's profile headed "important news" which is now more than a week old deserves an occasional update?

lschell

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:02 am

jehan wrote:PBase staff is communicating with a large numbers of emails daily (which we try to answer in a timely manner, first come first serve). Truth be told, if you want answers to questions this is the best way to communicate with us. Due to the increased amount of emails, it does not allow us the opportunity to patrol the forums and comment on every post or thought. The largest room is the one for improvement. Yes, we will readily agree that communication could be improved and we will do all that we can to improve in this area.
"Increased amount of emails". Duh. If PBase would communicate in the forums, giving regular status updates and answering frequently asked questions, less emails would be sent. PBase staff would thus have to spend less time answering them and can dedicate more time to repairing things. There's no need to patrol the forum, just inform us!

bracciodiferro

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:23 am

jehan wrote:I common issue in this thread is communication. I do not intend for this to be a specific response to a specific post or email. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and deserves to get what they pay for. Many of you have wondered why there is not a daily update. I am sure Emily will post an update when she has "new" information to share as was done during the outage. An update everyday could very well be the same update that was posted the day before, which will anger most and confuse others. PBase staff is communicating with a large numbers of emails daily (which we try to answer in a timely manner, first come first serve). Truth be told, if you want answers to questions this is the best way to communicate with us. Due to the increased amount of emails, it does not allow us the opportunity to patrol the forums and comment on every post or thought. The largest room is the one for improvement. Yes, we will readily agree that communication could be improved and we will do all that we can to improve in this area.

....sound like "homebrew" web site....not really professional attitude...
Paolo

chrishadden

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:38 am

Maybe I have been lucky - I was away during the downtime etc, nowhere near a computer and therefore totally unaware of all the problems.
It would be good to see everything brought up to 21st century date and good luck to the team who have the unenviable task of doing the work.
Since June 03 when I joined I have enjoyed the pBase community and have had few complaints - but then I'm only a novice (read dinosaur) in these things!
Chris :wink:

mashona

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:55 am

Would like an indication when viewing stats are going to be back up and running, I like a lot of others use PBASE for my add campaigns and at the moment to do have a clue how well or bad they are doing

Can we have an answer please, its nearly a month now

Thanks

dougj

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:54 am

mashona wrote:Would like an indication when viewing stats are going to be back up and running, I like a lot of others use PBASE for my add campaigns and at the moment to do have a clue how well or bad they are doing

Thanks

Q&A forum
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42489

ianm_au

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:12 am

mashona wrote:Would like an indication when viewing stats are going to be back up and running, I like a lot of others use PBASE for my add campaigns and at the moment to do have a clue how well or bad they are doing

Thanks

Can only repeat what is in the quote.
My wife is trying to judge her campaign. She sells fascinators and it is racing season in Australia. :twisted: :twisted:

Ian M

mashona

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:22 pm

So we are advised to use third party stat counters? Really? This is a PBASE feature, a simple answer, two days, weeks or next month or year would be great to enable me to plan my add spend

gb_eh

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:27 pm

I'm a paying customer and i think I have the right to express my personal opinion regarding the service Pbase is and has been providing (i'm curious if the admin people who 'patrol' these forums will delete this posts).

I find it funny that the 'NEWS' forum here on Pbase hasn't had a new thread since approx this time last year, which by the way was explaining another service degradation issue taking place at the time (Oct'08). And since all new threads here can only be started by Admin people, that just shows how much real communication happens between the people who run Pbase and their users / paying customers. It also highlights the things that are actually 'NEW" like New features, New functionality, New Interface on Pbase doesn't it. I figure that Pbase would want to announce their New features here, but I only see they've added Maps in Jun'08 and Printing (kinda) in Dec'07 and a New team in Aug'07 (nothing new to the system) that was to solve all of the outstanding problems? Other NEWS posting were to announce the magazine issues, the last one was issue #12 (Jan'08) in which they said they would be going on vacation until years end, and issue #13 would be created then (unless they got back to it earlier), well it's almost the end of 2009 and still no issue #13 nice vacation. I could care less about the magazine, but do you not look a little foolish to some one who visits Pbase as a potential new user?

I'm sorry if you think i'm being too hard on the people running Pbase, but this is a company isn't it? They are charging a fee for a service are they not? They are trying to grow their business by attracting new members are they not? They are trying to keep the feature set in line with what other service providers are they not? They are trying to keep their system running as stable as possible for their customers are they not? Community , Co-operative or Company Pbase needs to decide what they are. If they are not running the system as a company and giving it the attention that it and it's users deserve then they should be honest with it's members and communicate that to them.

This latest system failure along with chronic slowness, a search engine that often doesn't work and other issues started me looking at what else is available: Reliability, Cost, Storage, Bandwidth, Feature Set, Usability for me and my visitors, and Community. There are plenty of other service providers offering photo hosting services, and I was impressed at what some systems had offer. So I've decided to move on. I've enjoyed the time spent here sharing and enjoying images with other photographers who I share a common interest / subject matter.

Good luck to all.... Glen

janschiphorst

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:31 pm

jehan wrote:I common issue in this thread is communication. I do not intend for this to be a specific response to a specific post or email. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and deserves to get what they pay for. Many of you have wondered why there is not a daily update. I am sure Emily will post an update when she has "new" information to share as was done during the outage. An update everyday could very well be the same update that was posted the day before, which will anger most and confuse others. PBase staff is communicating with a large numbers of emails daily (which we try to answer in a timely manner, first come first serve). Truth be told, if you want answers to questions this is the best way to communicate with us. Due to the increased amount of emails, it does not allow us the opportunity to patrol the forums and comment on every post or thought. The largest room is the one for improvement. Yes, we will readily agree that communication could be improved and we will do all that we can to improve in this area.

@ jehan, a daily letter from the PBase Admin with news about the situation in this 'news forum', reduced the number of questions and emails.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime