24-Sep Downtime

dennislaska

Re: 24-Sep Downtime

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:08 am

What mysteryone said +1

ajuett

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:11 am

Asking for an individual reply will more than likely not happen for everyone. I'm sure PBase does not have a full-time tech support team at their disposal to deal with the "my issue is priority" mentality. It's amazing the level of panic that ensues over users when something doesn't work. If it's not working at 100% people go nuts :roll: . Thing is, that's why they are users, they don't understand the details that go on in the background. Think you can do better? Then do it yourself. Until then, don't pretend the sky is falling when your $23/year account takes a temporary dive. Nothing is perfect, it will be a great day on the net when 100% of the users know this.
Pentax

soenda

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:10 am

I wanted to pass along a bit of good news, at least for me.

I was missing one gallery when service came back up last week. Because Emily said that they were aware of such things, I didn't worry too much. As instructed by here message, I did send off a request that they look for my missing stuff. And indeed, I just received an email from PBase administrator Jehan saying that my gallery has been found. It's waiting in a cue somewhere to be restored.

So my conclusion has to be that saving our pictures has been Slug & Emilies' first priority. The stats will probably come back at such time as have all those with missing images have been reunited with them.

And that seems like a reasonable approach to me.

It also proves that messages my report of the missing gallery do get heard and answered. Rather promptly, too, I might add.

imorozoff

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:26 pm

To echo what Soenda said. I too had a missing gallery and was informed that it was in the que to be fixed. Late yesterday it came back on line. For 23 bucks a year, and for Pbase being a hobby-business, I can't complain....too much. ;-)

caeneno

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:55 pm

20 days without statistics !...it's Enough !...

mikelong

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:55 pm

caeneno wrote:20 days without statistics !...it's Enough !...

You've got to be kidding me...

paninic

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:30 pm

..I think that perhaps,it'll be impossible to recover the last statistics from the 24/09 and that they are lost....( the best to tell it...) I hope so not but I 'ld say that however i'ts not in our actual world a mortal problem...
And in this case, why do not start the counter from now ( if naturaly it's technicaly possible.. ) .
I find that for the essential, Pbase goes now really well ( in my case at least ).
Sorry for bad english
Cheer up Emily and Slug!

djailledie

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:44 pm

ajuett wrote:Asking for an individual reply will more than likely not happen for everyone. I'm sure PBase does not have a full-time tech support team at their disposal to deal with the "my issue is priority" mentality. It's amazing the level of panic that ensues over users when something doesn't work. If it's not working at 100% people go nuts :roll: . Thing is, that's why they are users, they don't understand the details that go on in the background. Think you can do better? Then do it yourself. Until then, don't pretend the sky is falling when your $23/year account takes a temporary dive. Nothing is perfect, it will be a great day on the net when 100% of the users know this.

Well, I pay $23/year for deviantArt, and in one year, I have seen so many improvements in terms of new features! In 4 years here, I haven't seen much (PM Reply is the only one I remember). Down time over there can sometimes last 5 minutes, but that's also as much as I have seen. This site is simply not operating professionally. Go to Quantumstats. Check the trends. There is a significant drop on PBase recently, and the current mess is going to make things even worse!

ajuett

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:21 pm

djailledie wrote:Well, I pay $23/year for deviantArt, and in one year, I have seen so many improvements in terms of new features! In 4 years here, I haven't seen much (PM Reply is the only one I remember). Down time over there can sometimes last 5 minutes, but that's also as much as I have seen. This site is simply not operating professionally. Go to Quantumstats. Check the trends. There is a significant drop on PBase recently, and the current mess is going to make things even worse!

deviantArt's site, to me, looks cluttered. Ads, polls, links to other distracting sites/pages. PBase has a clean looking, ad free interface that focuses on one thing; photos. Simplicity sells imho. You have a choice.
Pentax

soenda

Regarding past statistics

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:09 pm

I would be surprised if PBase can't restore the missing numbers. Emily went out of her way to say that they could. They recovered our photos, and I'd expect that the stats were stored in the same place. You never know for sure until they reappear, of course.

I'm still expecting the numbers to all magically appear. One thing we need to be ready for is that the numbers will be down because the site was down.

Since that massive data loss for customers with Microsoft's Danger Sidekick and its cloud networking, PBase's performance looks pretty stellar by comparison. Sidekick's lost all data that wasn't on individual devices. So far as we know, PBase didn't lose a picture. I imagine that they're being super careful at this juncture, backing up and double backing up, which may explain why it's taking time. I suspect Sidekick and friends would readily accept this kind of delay over the permanent loss.

ronaldgjohnson

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:09 am

I'm not really concerned about past statistics as long as the feature gets working soon. What is the estimated time that full features will be restored? I'm glad I checked the forum...I thought perhaps I was the only one without statistics.

mytmoss

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:59 am

As long as they take our money, even if its $23, there are expectations. One of them is up time and the other is communication.

I can handle bad news, I do not like NO news.

No news is what we have here. I think daily updates should be forthcoming. If the plan is to have stats in 2 weeks, tell us.
I may not like the answer, but I can deal with it. The idea that bad news should be avoided is simply stupid. Lack of communication makes the operation looks amateurish.

Mike

soenda

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:41 am

mytmoss wrote:I may not like the answer, but I can deal with it. The idea that bad news should be avoided is simply stupid. Lack of communication makes the operation looks amateurish.

Mike

I suspect that the bad news you have to face is this: They simply don't know when they're going to have the stats fixed.

I gather that this has been a journey of discovery for PBase administration. Who can blame them for not wanting to provide a time line when they don't know what that's going to be?

My missing gallery was returned late this afternoon. If PBase is still restoring photos to many people, that's an eminently reasonable priority.

mytmoss

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:48 am

Soenda, what you stated is reasonable and fine.....question is, why are you stating it. Its not your job to be second guessing them. If you are right, then its Pbase administration who should be stating exactly what you said.

As I said, I can handle bad news, I hate no news. Their last update was 6 days ago.

Mike

mikelong

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:57 am

Hello! It's been this way since I joined in 2004 - nothing has changed and it shouldn't come as a shock to anyone. Man...

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime