Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime

News

24-Sep Downtime

maakif

Re: 24-Sep Downtime

Post Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:02 pm

I agree with i_fly and I am sensing a bigger problem non-technical issue. The technical issues are very minor and can be fixed in a day if not hours. I am a IT professional and currently heading a team that is responsible for our developing and maintaining our corporate portal. The counter issue, template issues are what we call in IT fluff issues and normally when our estimates are 2-3 hours including testing and deployment. I think Pbase is on a auto-pilot and the owner/operator is treating is as a cash cow and more than likely, the IT staff is working on a part time/contract bases and only get involved when server generated email hits there pagers or blackberry.

Regards,

maakif

http://www.pbase.com/maakif

guenter123

Post Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:05 pm

:D You nailed it Lynn - thanks for your statement!

Love and Peace.

Guenter

pegsam

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:41 am

lynnh wrote:I'm not sure I understand what's going on in this forum.

Lynnh -

I'm fairly sure that you don't understand what's going on in this forum. I don't think it's about liking to fight for the sake of fighting, but more about wanting to change PBase for the better. Unfortunately, this discussion has devolved into fighting between the "everything is swell" camp and the "everything sucks" camp. Somewhere in between those two lies the truth. Absent any input from the administrators, PBase is likely to have more people feeling unhappy and leaving, which will ultimately diminish the wonderful sense of community. I happen to think that peventing that is worth fighting for.

larsjohnsson

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:50 am

lynnh wrote:I'm not sure I understand what's going on in this forum. If you don't like Pbase, then find a site that suits your needs. If you like Pbase, then stay and keep posting. Why argue about it endlessly? Do ya'll really feel that you need to defend your position? If you have Pbase friends, and they are genuinely interested in your work, then they'll visit you on Flickr or SmugMug or where ever you go. I'm starting to think ya'll just like to fight. This isn't the "friendly" Pbase community that I've come to know over the years.
PEACE.
LYNNH

It's not about "If you don't like Pbase, then find a site that suits your needs"

I like Pbase and it suit what I need. But only when it's working. I like it to be repaired & fixed so everything here work. So you don't care at all when you loose your photo's and statistic & hit-counting doesn't work.

ronsc

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:43 am

Seven weeks ago today we had the big crash. PBase is still not up to speed. It should now be obvious to everyone that the owners are in over their heads and can't make the necessary repairs in a timely manner. A web site run by professionals would not have these long-term problems. The whole situation is pathetic.

gardengirl13

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:30 pm

OK, I'm still having slight problems like everyone else here. I've contacted the admin and still haven't heard back from them. I'm almost at my quota, and the day before the crash I had 16MB out of 500 used. Then the crash and now it's in the 400's. I know a month or so ago we were told that if we go over quota we won't be charged, but I worry that will not be so. Any news on this? (sorry if it's been mentioned many times, I don't want to go through 23 pages to read about everyone's problems with the site.)

And yes like a few have said, since this is a professional site for me, it's for family and friends and some helpful tips form members here, it's more of a huge inconvience then a disaster for me. But to move 5000 images to another site would be too much for me. I don't keep all my on this computer and would have to go through tons of files and tons of uploading to do so. Yes it's cheap, but I expect it to work right. It's been two months and I'm just tired. :cry:

stilllearning

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:28 pm

In my case my usage was in the 300's then it jumped to 500's. I went through all of my galleries and got rid of the originals. I do that when ever I get close to 500 megs usage. I dropped it back to mid 200's. I went and took a sampling of 4 galleries and they matched the space usage that PBase had posted. So in my case they were under reporting my space usage. I had around 2200 images averaging 120kb which equaled 264 mb which is what Pbase showed. It would be nice to get the stats back but I think the space time continuim works different here. One day equals a month so a couple days well you can do the math. In the meantime I can still upload and everything else.

artguer

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:08 pm

"We've completely redone the statistics system and these pages will be coming online in the next couple of days. The new system will be far more efficient. (less work for the database), as well
as having much more information than previously available. Stats for the last month will be there. This info is not lost, just currently not displayed".
This was quoted from the update of 31st October. We are now 12th of November and it is more than couple of days have past and still no stats.
Arto

artichoke

statistics progress

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:18 am

artguer wrote:"We've completely redone the statistics system and these pages will be coming online in the next couple of days. The new system will be far more efficient. (less work for the database), as well
as having much more information than previously available. Stats for the last month will be there. This info is not lost, just currently not displayed".
This was quoted from the update of 31st October. We are now 12th of November and it is more than couple of days have past and still no stats.

the folks at pbase are making progress
now they have a splash page in place of the list of dates with no activity
seeing all those dates with 0's next to them depressed me

pahoba

Re: 24-Sep Downtime- Hit counts?

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:32 am

Will someone please give me an idea about when the hit count function will be restored? I've asked this question a couple times over the past month, and have been told only that the problem is being worked on and that this function will be restored as soon as possible. It's pretty clear to me that this problem is more significant that I'm being told. I understand that things happen, but this lack of forthrightness and transparency is very disturbing. Please be honest. What is going on? When will this site be fully functional again?

sixriversrail

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:47 am

What can I say that already hasn't been said...What the hell is going on with Pbase?! My Gawd, I have loved this place for years now, but the love affair is strained currently. As many said before, it's mid-NOVEMBER, and still no hit counts available. Crazy.

I do give 'em credit for responding to my question personally three weeks back, so I know there are real people working on things. If this type of issue/meltdown is only going to happen say every ten years and the trials and tribulations of getting back to speed take a month or more, fine. But if this is something indicative of Pbase's future, then it may be high time to jump ship.
Six Rivers Rail~Tony Pawley

robertwhite

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:45 am

Thank you Pbase Team the new Stats page looks pretty cool nice work

hmetal

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:34 pm

lynnh wrote:I'm not sure I understand what's going on in this forum. If you don't like Pbase, then find a site that suits your needs. If you like Pbase, then stay and keep posting. Why argue about it endlessly? Do ya'll really feel that you need to defend your position? If you have Pbase friends, and they are genuinely interested in your work, then they'll visit you on Flickr or SmugMug or where ever you go. I'm starting to think ya'll just like to fight. This isn't the "friendly" Pbase community that I've come to know over the years.
PEACE.
LYNNH

I'm not arguing at all. I simply expressed my opinion and my logic on the matter. I expressed my needs. And yes, my PBase friends also join me on Flickr and view my photostream. I love having so many exhibition/gallery sites. The more the better. Just means more people see my work. :)
Ray A. Akey
http://luminescentmemories.com - Luminescent Memories Photography
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmetal - My Flickr
http://www.pbase.com/hmetal/pad - My PAD
http://codemain.com - A small portfolio

larsjohnsson

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:01 pm

robertwhite wrote:Thank you Pbase Team the new Stats page looks pretty cool nice work

But the new stats page shows a lot of clicks, even on all those days that Pbase was down. How can I have thousens of clicks when nobody could use Pbase because it was down :D :D :shock:

photographieur

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:00 pm

larsjohnsson wrote:
robertwhite wrote:Thank you Pbase Team the new Stats page looks pretty cool nice work

But the new stats page shows a lot of clicks, even on all those days that Pbase was down. How can I have thousens of clicks when nobody could use Pbase because it was down :D :D :shock:

The answer is in the stat thread...!

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime