Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime

News

24-Sep Downtime

jgayman

Re: 24-Sep Downtime

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:21 am

mbaumser wrote:I'm still trying to get an answer why my usage was about 487mb before the crash and was 500mb after pbase came back up.

I guess it all depends on your order of magnitude. I have over 8000MB in use on PBase and probably wouldn't even notice a 13MB variance. :D

soenda

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:55 am

mbaumser wrote:How many days before someone from PBASE replies to any of the questions, comments or complaints in this thread? ever?

Marc

Check here, half way down: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42417&start=15

From PBase Administrator Jehan:

Thank you for all the emails alerting us to this problem. I have informed Emily of problem. We understand that many members want to stay under a certain amount of MB for price reasons, and were doing so prior to our downtime. Once I receive a response AND we know how it will be rectified, I will post here.

Keep watch on that Questions and Answers board thread for an update.

dennislaska

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:03 am

I have no idea where this "one month of free service" is coming from. The only information (or lack of) is what I have read when trying to get to the broken pbase site. I have never received any email info regarding the problems and expected time the service will be running at 100%.

Lack of info has been the real problem here.

mbaumser

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:56 am

jgayman wrote:
mbaumser wrote:I'm still trying to get an answer why my usage was about 487mb before the crash and was 500mb after pbase came back up.

I guess it all depends on your order of magnitude. I have over 8000MB in use on PBase and probably wouldn't even notice a 13MB variance. :D

I don't mean to hijack the thread to a different topic. I assume you're paying over $368 dollars per year for Pbase (500mb x 16) as opposed to $40 for unlimited storage on Zenfolio....why?

zyziza

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:12 pm

my counters doesn`t work!!!

carrhighlander

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:17 pm

zyziza wrote:my counters doesn`t work!!!

If you read the first post of the thread all is revealed. :D
"The current stats collection method is limited, and due to site performance reasons is currently disabled. We are working on an improved method, which will be better, faster, and retroactive. Once completed, statistics for pageviews since the power failure will be available to you."

merriwolf

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:34 pm

mbaumser wrote:
jgayman wrote:

I don't mean to hijack the thread to a different topic. I assume you're paying over $368 dollars per year for Pbase (500mb x 16) as opposed to $40 for unlimited storage on Zenfolio....why?

Actually, you get quantity discounts with PBase, Marc. The charge for 8,000MB is not $368, but a mere $320. :)

mbaumser

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:29 pm

merriwolf wrote:
Actually, you get quantity discounts with PBase, Marc. The charge for 8,000MB is not $368, but a mere $320. :)

Thanks Gordon. Now I don't feel so bad :lol:

gb_eh

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:23 pm

This failure was the last straw for me.. i've signed on with zenfolio and i'm enjoying their service so far. Interface is an improvement and unlimited storage for less money helps also. I'm slowly shutting down my galleries and letting my account run out here. Good luck to those that intend to remain here... Glen

pradipta

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:38 pm

I am actually baffled that PBase is still NOWHERE close to being operational since the down time. Several of my images are broken so are several of the other thumbnails. And there is no way I can regenerate the thumbnails. I thought there was a button I could click on to regenerate the thumbnails. But it does not appear any more.

joyoflight

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:26 pm

Emily and Slug - just echoing all who say you have my support and best wishes in this. Love the pBase community and all it stands for. Best regards, Stephen

rogiervanvugt

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:24 pm

It sad to read that some people had bad experiences with the communication.

All I can say is that I did not experienced it that way at all. I got replies on my emails and they where helpfull.

Things like this can happen and I cannot see why a daily update of info would have made it better for me however the free month is.

I hope that soon everything will function as normal again

Rogier (Still a happy customer :wink: )

philway

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:45 pm

It seems there is a collateral damage:
for example this photo
http://www.pbase.com/philway/image/117804119
weighs 891267 bytes in properties after righ click
while weighs recompressed 238197 bytes in the edit gallery.

mytmoss

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:23 am

So far everything that I have seen suggests that Pbase is not the professional operation it maintains to be. Being down this long is completely poor for a site that takes people's money. It does not matter what you pay, there is a an expectation of up time. We have now gone far beyond anything in the industry standard of normalcy. I did a bit of research and found this in the terms of service

"There is no guarantee of permanence.
But every effort is made to provide a stable and permanent site.
PBASE uses failure resistant storage and does regular backups of site contents.
If however something catastrophic occurs and everything is destroyed, users have no right to demand anything of PBASE."

This says it all as to what we can expect in the future. I am sure they are working hard to restore Pbase to its normal sense. However its seems they owe us nothing if they fail at any level.

Mike

mikelong

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:56 pm

Just keep in mind that it took years for them to replace one bad server, after thousands of complaints and many customers lost. And then only after a fire (or whatever...) destroyed the last one - I wouldn't raise my expectations too high at this point.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime