Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime

News

24-Sep Downtime

fishit

Re: 24-Sep Downtime

Post Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:33 am

ronsc wrote:So yes, maybe the "two sites" option is the best way to go. But it is still annoying as hell to see PBase down completely for four days and more than two weeks after the crash they still aren't running 100%. And we all know about the"PBase is slow" issue so no point in re-hashing it here. But like I said, that's PBase. It is what it is, and it's unlikely to change much.
Ron
http://www.ronwrightphotography.com

It is what it is, and yes a two site option is best imo. Zenfolio was expressed as a option. It is nice but not a community like PBase.
There or Smug mug you can pay 4-5 times what it costs here and you do get some features for point of purchase in place.
PBase is more than a Gallery of photography. It is a photographer's community for showing and discussing photography.

mauisp

Post Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:48 am

before the outage I was using around 350mb of space and up till yesterday it was at that amount. Now its at 650mb today and my sub. expires next month. If this discrepancy is not corrected by that time then what? I wont pay any more for space that I know I'm not using, yet would be willing to pay for if I know that I had gone over the min. amount. I also was using pbase for customers to see their photos before I had them printed. I had frustrated customers because they could'nt see their pics. So I had to go with smugmug to get their photos up. Now I'm using 2 sites for the same purpose. Thats crazy!
I would be willing to pay more if pbase could come up with some of the things that smug offers. I like pbase but am getting very frustrated.Please not only fix pbase but make it better to use for small businesses like mine.
One month left, Then what? :?

artguer

Post Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:15 am

mauisp wrote:before the outage I was using around 350mb of space and up till yesterday it was at that amount. Now its at 650mb today and my sub. expires next month. If this discrepancy is not corrected by that time then what? I wont pay any more for space that I know I'm not using, yet would be willing to pay for if I know that I had gone over the min. amount. I also was using pbase for customers to see their photos before I had them printed. I had frustrated customers because they could'nt see their pics. So I had to go with smugmug to get their photos up. Now I'm using 2 sites for the same purpose. Thats crazy!
I would be willing to pay more if pbase could come up with some of the things that smug offers. I like pbase but am getting very frustrated.Please not only fix pbase but make it better to use for small businesses like mine.
One month left, Then what? :?

Emily addressed that in her update. Here it is. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42416&start=75
http://www.pbase.com/profile
Arto

dennislaska

Post Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:05 pm

The data base is running extremely slow. And many artists are not even updating their galleries (as I noticed in my favorites). What has it been? Over two weeks now.

slphoto

Post Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:53 pm

I don't pretend to understand the server issues that you faced re power failures. BUT if a system isn't fail-safe, then system engineers have learned little since railways first started installing such systems early in the INDUSTRIAL revolution. With the near total collapse of the north american transmission system several years ago, and similar problems here in Oz with overload issues (mainly caused by air-conditioners), we had better get used to more frequent, ongoing power failures. I recall reading that the back-up power system that cut in automatically also ran out of reserve power. Why didn't an ordered shut-down of the server occur toward the end of the back-up period?

Many thanks Emily .. I think some people are very unrealistic in their demands here. If having PBase online 24/7 is everything to people .. go elsewhere! Will other hosts guarantee 24/7 service? I don't think so!

We have lived through the cheap energy decades when people would keep the air-con running to sleep with blankets .. when the plasma TV pushes out carbon even when no-one is watching. I continually see the people who demand governments do something about climate change driving their cars (on days in mid 20C/70F) with the windows up and air-cons chewing fuel and emitting carbon! Soon we gunna pay for our excesses ...

Your unbilled Sept. offer is very generous.

isolaverde

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:05 am

It may take a little longer, but couldn't you say carbon dioxide and not carbon?

You may think it makes no difference but, for instance, a hospital would be quite keen to know if you'd been exposed to carbon, carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide !

Peter

slphoto wrote:I don't pretend to understand the server issues that you faced re power failures. BUT if a system isn't fail-safe, then system engineers have learned little since railways first started installing such systems early in the INDUSTRIAL revolution. With the near total collapse of the north american transmission system several years ago, and similar problems here in Oz with overload issues (mainly caused by air-conditioners), we had better get used to more frequent, ongoing power failures. I recall reading that the back-up power system that cut in automatically also ran out of reserve power. Why didn't an ordered shut-down of the server occur toward the end of the back-up period?

Many thanks Emily .. I think some people are very unrealistic in their demands here. If having PBase online 24/7 is everything to people .. go elsewhere! Will other hosts guarantee 24/7 service? I don't think so!

We have lived through the cheap energy decades when people would keep the air-con running to sleep with blankets .. when the plasma TV pushes out carbon even when no-one is watching. I continually see the people who demand governments do something about climate change driving their cars (on days in mid 20C/70F) with the windows up and air-cons chewing fuel and emitting carbon! Soon we gunna pay for our excesses ...

Your unbilled Sept. offer is very generous.

ronsc

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:29 am

It's now been over 18 days since PBase crashed. We still don't have statisics.
There's been no update from management in over four days.
It looks like we're already back to the poor or no communication mode from the owners.
SSDD here at PBase.

slphoto

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:58 am

Sorry all .. this isn't a discussion on climate change .. even if it is ( very remotely .. almost) related! Actually Isolaverde .. it IS compounds of carbon that are the "villians" .. or so they tell us! Actually methane, carbon dioxide .. and .. water vapour (ah .. no carbon here!) are the worst villians ... They only choose to tell us about CO2. Others far worse! Atmospheric photo-chemistry isn't a hospital!

bracciodiferro

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:18 pm

From the "Popular Gallery"page:

--Photo sharing allows photographers to learn from each other.
You determine the popularity of galleries by voting on them.--

After 18 days not only the statistic page do not run,but also i can't view the visitors number each new picture!
I am really tired of this situation...
I think that now the users of the site should know when PBase will be run at 100%.
I repeat: I want to know RIGHT NOW!!!!
Paolo

slphoto

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:18 pm

Are popular photos great photos? ... only sometimes!!

ltobias

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:27 pm

emily wrote:Update : 08-Oct-2009 16:27 UTC / 12:27 EST
The new hitcounts information is not ready yet. We are still working on it. When it is completed, we will let you know.

Please give us the old hitcounts information back, until you work on the new one!

elastic02

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:56 pm

My Feeling is that Pbase has lost track of most other big photosharing communities on the web. Pbase used to be great a couple of years ago but not so anymore. Unfortunately all my photos are on Pbase incuding many direct links (SEO) to galleries etc. So it is a bit of a hassle to change. Anyway, have had enough of slowness, crashes, missing statistics (I know I can implement Google Analytics) etc etc. Also I would like to see some generic imporvement. Premiuim templates for Pbase? Widgets? Wordpress integration? Etc etc.

mysteryone

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:03 pm

I really wish the folks at Pbase knew a bit more about customer relations.
There are three (3) very important keys to customer relations.
Here they are:
#1 - COMMUNICATION
#2 - COMMUNICATION
#3 - COMMUNICATION

I think Pbase has so much potential, but they refuse give updates on where they at in there rebuild!
They do not answer emails!
If we knew where things were at I believe many of us would have much more patience
with there issues. But we pay of fees and sit here in the dark!
Pbase has been a great site! I have seen nothing else like it!
I hope they can get there act together and let us know what is going on!
I do NOT want to leave this great site....but I am looking!

sixriversrail

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:26 am

My Gawd, hit count still down after this long, arrrgggh! I love Pbase, but please oh please get this straightened out. I have also been looking at joining other sites like SmugMug, etc.

I really like it here...but market economics dictate that I leave if the vendor can't get everything together. Will give it more time and see how it goes for now, but this whole meltdown has me rethinking where my money may be going in the future.
Six Rivers Rail~Tony Pawley

mysteryone

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:15 am

sixriversrail wrote:My Gawd, hit count still down after this long, arrrgggh! I love Pbase, but please oh please get this straightened out. I have also been looking at joining other sites like SmugMug, etc.

I really like it here...but market economics dictate that I leave if the vendor can't get everything together. Will give it more time and see how it goes for now, but this whole meltdown has me rethinking where my money may be going in the future.

Two days ago something broke at Pbase. My latest up loads do not show up in the "recent galleries" page. So why post? Very few will find our pics!
So I just removed all of my photos and left a "good bye" note.
I am willing to wait and work with them .... but they WILL NOT reply my emails!
A reply, is all I ask!

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime