Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime

News

24-Sep Downtime

larsjohnsson

Re: 24-Sep Downtime

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:06 pm

bracciodiferro wrote:About the PBase's improvements statistics....
Today i swich on my pc and i look on my profile page:

"Statistics View Galleries : Bracciodiferro has 87 galleries and 2004 images online.
These pages have been viewed a total of 1666141 times.
View Guestbook : 821904 messages. Most recent on 00-DECEMBER-09"
I have to laugh ? or must I cry??

Thanks Slug!....

Paolo

This is mine today :( :( :( :( :( :(

View Galleries : You have 128 galleries and 4932 images online.
These pages have been viewed a total of 2343496 times. (view full statistics)
View Usage and Payment History : Your photos are using 821 Megabytes of storage space.
You have 22 months of service left on your account.
On average, your photos use 170 KB each.

View Guestbook : 390708 messages. Most recent on 00-DECEMBER-09.
Comment Management : 2728 comments. Most recent on 05-NOV-09.

rbreitz

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:54 pm

I've already switched over to Smugmug and will let Pbase dry out for the next 11 months unless I see a dramatic change.
I refuse to congratulate 'The Pbase Team' for a partial fix --- I do NOT suffer from the Stockholm syndrome. This is Bad Business - period.

pradipta

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:59 pm

larsjohnsson wrote:Probably he mean, the next couple of months. Or maybe years..........We are talking about 1½ months and not working :( :x

This guy (Slug) is really shameless. How can he post very specific messages (like the one above that promised complete restoration in about a couple of days back on the 31st of October) and then stay completely away when he does not even come close to fulfilling his commitment? This is the worst unprofessionally run web site in any freaking category I have every seen in my life.

larsjohnsson

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:17 pm

tim32225 wrote:
jacklouis wrote:I think the best way for PBase to insure its survival is to offer unlimited storage for its basic subscription fee.

You could probably have your wish if the basic subscription fee were raised to about $100. But I seriously doubt others here would be
in favor of that.

Smugmug charge you: $39.95/year. Why would Pbase have to charge $ 100 for the same thing then ???

pegsam

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:55 pm

bracciodiferro wrote:On 31 oct Slug wrote:

"Hitcounts/Statistics.
We've completely redone the statistics system and these pages will be coming online in the next couple of days. The new system will be far more efficient. (less work for the database), as well as having much more information than previously available. Stats for the last month will be there. This info is not lost, just currently not displayed."

Today is November 7, the last "communication" was on Oct 31 talking about the stats coming on line in a couple of days (couple = 2). Those couple of days have come and gone several (that's 3) times now. Same old, poor communication habits. The part that sucks about this latest communication blunder is that we got to hear Slug complain about all the time he is spending in the office away from his family. Dude, if you are in the office that long then take a few moments to send out an update. And be realistic. If you are going to miss an implementation date then communicate that. Don't just let the date pass without saying anything.

Slug, Emily, and the rest of the crew: improve your communication!

weddingtime

Post Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:55 pm

One thing I don't understand is why just fix the problems and do the improvements later?! :wink:

taivo

Post Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:53 am

Slug - When will all the "new exciting features" and the fix for statistics be completed? In all your updates, you kept mentioning "coming soon", but an elapsed time of 1.5 months is not "soon".

i_fly

Post Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:32 am

Present situation at my end:

a) Stats counters on my front page completely messed up now - not just frozen as they were before - current number has no relevance to what should be there.
b) My front page is littered with "items" that should not be there i.e. broken thumbnails of images that should not be on my front page, and I really don't know where those images come from. Exif data for those "broken thumbnails" is present, indicating that those images were shot wit Canon Powershot A80 in May 2004. I'm currently running a search at my end to see if any of those images belong to me and whether this sudden appearance on the front page nos is an indication of some foul backup at Pbase end- waking up some ghosts from the past.

jamescockburn

Post Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:28 pm

When is the hit count going to start working again? Last time a message was posted on the News section it said a couple of days and that was in October. James

i_fly

Post Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:31 pm

i_fly wrote:Present situation at my end:

a) Stats counters on my front page completely messed up now - not just frozen as they were before - current number has no relevance to what should be there.
b) My front page is littered with "items" that should not be there i.e. broken thumbnails of images that should not be on my front page, and I really don't know where those images come from. Exif data for those "broken thumbnails" is present, indicating that those images were shot wit Canon Powershot A80 in May 2004. I'm currently running a search at my end to see if any of those images belong to me and whether this sudden appearance on the front page nos is an indication of some foul backup at Pbase end- waking up some ghosts from the past.

UPDATE:
My search revealed that those "images" suddenly appearing on my front page are in fact old links to a gallery that I removed some time ago, probably more than a year since I deleted that gallery. - those photos have thus been removed /deleted from Pbase. Looks like Slug and Co are doing something strange here, probably trying to reinstate an old backup that is clearly not relevant to the state of my site at the moment of the crash on September 2009. Wonder what we will get next time in this ever stranger events of "rebuilding" Pbase ?

fishit

Post Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:29 pm

gb_eh wrote:Others offer unlimited for way less than $100 both Smugmug and Zenfolio both offer unlimited at the $40 level. I had reached my 500mb limit and would have been paying almost $50 for 1gig here.. With low res copies of my images.. now with Zen I have unlimited and upload originals size files as an offsite back up. Happy with the service so far.. I really hope things go well for those that remain here!!

You sounds bitter gb_eh, not sure why you feel the need to try and get people to join Zenfolio, a nice site but it is not PBase.
Try to find your images in any of the major search engines off that site, you won't, it is not search friendly.
Unless someone stumbles onto your website there, no one will see your work.
PBase by far is the best website for image search which is how I sell my photography, that is one reason why I will stay here.
The other is friends and photographer community that has been very supportive in helping me improve my work and get it exposed to publishers.

I do like Smugmug and plan on using it for point of purchase for photography, but there is no way to compare the cost to PBase.
gb_eh I wish you go luck as you leave but again please stop trashing PBase and the ownership as you head out, it cheapens your departure.

smeredith

Post Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:24 pm

fishit wrote:gb_eh I wish you go luck as you leave but again please stop trashing PBase and the ownership as you head out, it cheapens your departure.

Well I see no problem with him posting. Someone needs to warn people who might be considering joining PBase that it is a sinking ship. (Something that the PBase fans seem oblivious to.)

larsjohnsson

Post Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:54 pm

fishit wrote:
gb_eh wrote:Others offer unlimited for way less than $100 both Smugmug and Zenfolio both offer unlimited at the $40 level. I had reached my 500mb limit and would have been paying almost $50 for 1gig here.. With low res copies of my images.. now with Zen I have unlimited and upload originals size files as an offsite back up. Happy with the service so far.. I really hope things go well for those that remain here!!

You sounds bitter gb_eh, not sure why you feel the need to try and get people to join Zenfolio, a nice site but it is not PBase.
Try to find your images in any of the major search engines off that site, you won't, it is not search friendly.
Unless someone stumbles onto your website there, no one will see your work.
PBase by far is the best website for image search which is how I sell my photography, that is one reason why I will stay here.
The other is friends and photographer community that has been very supportive in helping me improve my work and get it exposed to publishers.

I do like Smugmug and plan on using it for point of purchase for photography, but there is no way to compare the cost to PBase.
gb_eh I wish you go luck as you leave but again please stop trashing PBase and the ownership as you head out, it cheapens your departure.

I have been here at Pbase for nearly 6 years. And i have never complained about anything before. not even when I lost about 300 pics two years ago. But now it's just too much, 1½ months and the website is not working. How can you tell people to stop trashing Pbase when they write about that !!!!! And just lies from Slug......or no communication at all..............

And why can't you compare the cost of Smugmug with Pbase ?? Smugmug charge you $ 39,95 a year for unlimited amount of photo's or storage.

glossypan

Post Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:21 pm

Folks who talk glowingly of unlimited uploads will probably find that the cat-fanciers who post 300 shots of tabby every day and the frat parties where half a dozen half-drunk pledges with big cards and little experience post 1200 badly-lit shots of the Friday night mixer every week and the geeks who attempt to post every variation of every editing tool for the same photograph sludge up those sites so badly that it is very difficult to find new and good images. PBase was set up so people who are at least somewhat serious about photography could easily share their images and ideas. I think a great deal of thought went into the design of this website and it is my hope and belief that a web team capable of designing a site that fills those needs will be capable of recovering from the September catastrophe.

fishit

Post Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:24 pm

larsjohnsson wrote:
fishit wrote:

I have been here at Pbase for nearly 6 years. And i have never complained about anything before. not even when I lost about 300 pics two years ago. But now it's just too much, 1½ months and the website is not working. How can you tell people to stop trashing Pbase when they write about that !!!!! And just lies from Slug......or no communication at all..............

And why can't you compare the cost of Smugmug with Pbase ?? Smugmug charge you $ 39,95 a year for unlimited amount of photo's or storage.

I have been here only since 2005 and I am not happy with what has happened but to compare Zenfolio which is what gb_eh is doing is not fair.
lars do you really thing slug and Emily want this situation? Do you not think they are trying to resolve the issue?
I have never lost a picture or had the problems you have expressed, I am not doubting you, but I do not rely on this site solely.
Smugmug is about equal in many ways to PBase but still does not index as well as PBase in the search engines, I have a account there as well.
But as I stated for $23.00 dollars a year PBase has provided me with multi contacts and sales of photographs that other site have not.
I agree this whole thing has been not a good thing for PBase and it's customers, but to berate the owners in the forums does nothing to improve the situation, it makes it worse.
If you are not happy with the service or community here at PBase and want to move then do t, but to move and keep coming back and plugging another website like gb_eh, it is unprofessional.
Just leave express why and be done with it, or stay wait for things to be fixed, it is simple as that.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime