PBase Maps Updates

ckirby
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

PBase Maps Updates

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:51 pm

We updated PBase Maps today, here are some of the changes:
- improved overall performance speed
- added a user search field that lets you switch between different users (this will be getting enhanced, right now you must put in a valid user login or it doesn't do anything useful)
- added a batch tag feature for tagging an entire gallery at once
- added the ability to browse a user's various galleries rather than just all of their photos at once
- fixed a bug that prevented trial user's from sharing their geotags with the world
- when tagging an image, shift clicking on the map where you want the marker will move the marker there
- various other bug fixes

Hopefully this version provides relief for all the users out there who were getting frustrated with the various weird bugs in the last version. If anyone gets any bugs in this version, make sure you let us know and give us all the info you can easily provide (operating system, browser, connection speed).

djwixx

Re: PBase Maps Updates

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:37 pm

I have added a link to my profile to "me on Pbase maps". It would be nice if that could be included somewhere by default in either the profiles or in the galleries.

Could the batch option be added above the thumbnails, rather than underneath, so you see it straight away if there are numerous thumbnails in the view?

The above are just a couple of minor observations to something that is otherwise excellent, fun and useful.

THANKS.

yardbird

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:10 pm

Great new updates. I like the user search option.
Keep working at it guys.

ernst

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:15 pm

The new specs sound great, but all I get is a blank screen:

The button doesn't work either...

Using Windows XP SP2, IE7, adsl 8Mb, 1GB ram, 1024x768 screen resolution.

gtepke

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:25 am

Thanks for the mapping feature - it's very helpful - and for the updates - it's definitely less buggy.

Where is the batch geotagging feature? I can't find it. Does it allow you to simultaneously tag multiple, but not all, images in a gallery?

Also, if I click "View map" below a photo that I have geotagged, I get a map showing markers for all of my geotagged photos, with no indication of which marker is for the photo where I clicked the link. Shouldn't that link take me to a map for that particular photo? I think that's the way it worked a couple of days ago.

Glen Tepke

nolock

Broken...doesn't work.

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:38 am

Can't get it to work. Blank screen, like the other poster. I'm XP sp2 as well, firefox.

nolock

Re: Broken...doesn't work.

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:25 pm

Now I'm getting my 'main' map page, with the icons for all my geotagged images, rather than the zoom view for the individual image. Additionally, the view only fills about half the available space on the screen. The 'zoom' feature is working though.

ernst

Another glitch

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:10 am

Today I visited pbase maps for the first time on a new computer. I get my "main map", but the buttons don't work and I can't open my gallery list.

Windos Vista home premium (all updates), IE7,

sbbish

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:52 pm

nolock and ernst are right. My maps do the same thing in taking me to the map page of ALL my tagged photos rather than the map view of the specific photo I clicked "view map" for. I checked it on both XP and Vista, using Firefox and IE.

This is obviously a newly-introduced bug since, it didn't work that way before the "updates".

Until this is fixed, the mapping feature is practically useless.

Scott

dang

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:03 am

My maps do the same thing in taking me to the map page of ALL my tagged photos rather than the map view of the specific photo I clicked "view map" for. I checked it on both XP and Vista, using Firefox and IE.
This is obviously a newly-introduced bug since, it didn't work that way before the "updates".

Same thing here, using XP.

enjayel

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:35 am

sorry, missed the new topic:
enjayel wrote:
ckirby wrote:careysb: <snip>
Slug just recently added the 'view map' link on the image pages and that link is intended to take you to pbase maps with the map centered on that image, at the zoom level it was saved at, and with the map type it was saved with.

after the recently added features, this no longer seems to work... Some of the world-wide image locations come up (it seems to zoom to the level needed to capture the world-wide tagged photos), and the user now needs to click on the one "map pin" that is linked to the image (in red, single photo is indicated), and yet another click to get to the map's "default" zoom....

If that pin is not selected, or if the user uses the zoom, the marker for the selected image disappears, and the pin changes to reflect the number of images at that general location, requiring the user to go back to the image gallery to start over if they don't want to scroll through all of the thumbnails for the region...

I've been playing with this image - same holds for many others that were tagged after Apr 26,2008
http://www.pbase.com/enjayel/image/96369142

cheers,
nancy

ckirby
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:44 pm

Fixed the maps.pbase.com/image/####### bug. All those nice 'view map' links slug put on all the image pages should work now.

For those of you wondering where the new batch tag feature is, click the 'Geotag your photos' button (must be logged in), then navigate to a gallery you want to batch tag. The link is right below the gallery title. You are given the option of batch tagging all the photos in the gallery that you haven't located yet, or just all of the photos in the gallery (replacing the data on any you have already located).

For those of you getting the broken blank page, hit reload while holding down 'shift'. Browsers cache certain things and the problem you are getting is the result of that, shift-reloading forces the browser to not cache anything on that page.

enjayel

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:27 pm

thanks! seems to be working now....

dang

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:38 am

Thanks for the fix, and the update too.

sbbish

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:30 pm

Yes, thanks for the quick fix!