Board index PBase News New Forum

News

New Forum

dang

Re: New Forum

Post Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:06 pm

The new forum looks great, but it would be nice to have the complete set of links at the bottom of posts too. Currently we have to scroll back to the top to return to the main board, or use an addition click.
Board index ‹ PBase ‹ Questions and Answers ‹

Not a big deal, but would be more convenient.

I also like the new options in forum search, very nice!

Thanks for the update.

rsbfotos

Serious problem with new Forum upgrade

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:31 am

The problem is that I can not open a thread on my home PC. (I'm responding on my work PC, a T1 connection MS IE 6 with SP2.)
My home PC has a dial-up connection and is MS IE 6 with SP1. I can get to an Index Page (rather slower than the old forum format) but can not open anything any further. I can not open any thread.
Nothing has changed on my home system and the problem began on day one of the forum change. My system performs as usual with no problems on all other sites.
I sent an e-mail to support from the Pbase Main Page, but have only gotten back the boiler-plate "message received" reply. I don't expect to receive anything further from Pbase support.
I don't feel the problem is on my end but does anyone have any ideas????? (I'm not technically proficient in computer "stuff".)
Thanks for any thoughts, and remember I can only read and reply from work.
-----------
10kzoomfz
---------------------------------------------------
rsbfotos
You can't see the forest when you sneeze.

andrys

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:04 pm

10kzoomfz wrote:I still think the font is too small !

With a pc, you can press ctrl-+ (ctrl-key and plus-key together) to raise the font size.
To make it smaller again, press ctrl-key and minus-key together).

Sometimes the mouse's middle-wheel if you have one can subsitute for
the plus and minus keys.

With a mac, the cmd or apple key will work in the place of the pc's ctrl-key...

NoOutlet, maybe we could choose a default size for text, as a customization?

Nice job on the layout - colors are very easy on the eye. I've just seen it for
the first time.

fayewhite

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:23 pm

This may have already been mentioned, but it would help if the "Home", "Logout" and "Help" buttons in the upper right corner were in the same order as other Pbase pages. Not a big deal, but if you are accustomed to clicking the right-most button to go "Home" it can be confusing when it isn't there.

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:23 pm

fayewhite wrote:This may have already been mentioned, but it would help if the "Home", "Logout" and "Help" buttons in the upper right corner were in the same order as other Pbase pages. Not a big deal, but if you are accustomed to clicking the right-most button to go "Home" it can be confusing when it isn't there.
The order that the links are in is the same as on the front page of PBase(and the new maps page) and it will be in that order for all pages when they get updated.

rsbfotos

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:49 pm

andrys wrote:

With a pc, you can press ctrl-+ (ctrl-key and plus-key together) to raise the font size.

the plus and minus keys.

the first time.

Well, actually that was the first thing I tried before I posted my comment.
The ctrl-+ (ctrl-key and plus-key together) does not control the font size on 'this" forum text.
Neither does the mouse "wheel".
However, they do function correctly on font sizes at other sites. So what might the problem be, with this forum site???
------------
10kzoomfz
---------------------------------------------------
rsbfotos
You can't see the forest when you sneeze.

nkirby
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:12 pm

10kzoomfz wrote:
andrys wrote:

the plus and minus keys.

the first time.

Well, actually that was the first thing I tried before I posted my comment.
The ctrl-+ (ctrl-key and plus-key together) does not control the font size on 'this" forum text.
Neither does the mouse "wheel".
However, they do function correctly on font sizes at other sites. So what might the problem be, with this forum site???
------------
10kzoomfz

I had no problems changing the font size in IE 7, Firefox for mac + win, and in safari.

dang

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:14 pm

Thanks for the added links!

jniemann

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:39 am

ctrl + Mouse wheel works fine for me - I'm using IE7

flemmingbo

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:41 am

Great news, looks and feels great so far!

regards,

Flemming
Flemming Bo Jensen Photography
Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/flemmingbo
My photography blog: http://flemmingbo.wordpress.com

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:21 pm

If increasing the size the standard way isn't working for you, I've put the fontsize switcher back in the top right corner of the screen below "help".

arjunrc

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:34 am

So I am slowly exploring various features...

The friend/foe part is cute. For friends, it says:
Friends enable you quick access to members you communicate with frequently. If the template has relevant support any posts made by a friend may be highlighted

Does this template support highlighting? I added some friends and it worked, but their posts are not highlighted (so want to confirm if its the template or some other issue). I thought this was a coolio feature to have - I sometimes like to read what the admins are saying and adding them all to my friends list will emphasize their posts in large threads..

PS: Cool "font expander" or whatever it is called on the top right.

regds
arjun
--
I don't check forums very often these days, so if you need to get a response from me, please send me an email (see my profile) and NOT a PM.

dougj

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:46 am

The new forum is nicely laid out with some very good features. The 'report a post' feature is nice and will eliminate the need to send emails. One request is to make this less obscure. One needs to go exploring to see that the exclamation point in the triangle is for this purpose. Most of the forums I participate in use a text button or something similar for this. I presume someone at the Pbase Mother Ship receives a message of a reported post.

Nice job guys!

erichmangl

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:05 am

nooutlet wrote:Yes, this is true. I've since figured out why Friends/Foes won't work. It will be fixed eventually as an indirect result of fixing sessions. It might be awhile, it's a frustrating bug. Also, there may be other things like deleting messages from your inbox that won't work until I fix the session handling.

both is working now, thank you !

srijith

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:46 am

erichmangl wrote:
nooutlet wrote:Yes, this is true. I've since figured out why Friends/Foes won't work. It will be fixed eventually as an indirect result of fixing sessions. It might be awhile, it's a frustrating bug. Also, there may be other things like deleting messages from your inbox that won't work until I fix the session handling.

both is working now, thank you !

Yey! It works...

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News New Forum