Board index PBase News 17-Dec Missing Images Update

News

17-Dec Missing Images Update

alexjblyth

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:22 am

Just to repeat what others have said - thanks for the hard work, and try not to worry about it too much.

photodocsj

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:24 am

Take your time, have a rest and a good dinner; this isn't the end of world for any of us. Thank you all for your attention, dedication and care. j9ames

zuiko40

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:25 am

Thanks for the update. Pbase is still the best.

photodrug

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:30 am

zuiko40 wrote:Thanks for the update. Pbase is still the best.

Didn't find better ! Tried all the day =)

gusitar

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:31 am

Per andrys: re your question -- don't regenerate anything as the system will
be repairing things after they do the analysis to make sure that huge
volume mentioned is no longer showing inconsistencies, and older stuff will
show up ok

I learned this the hard way on two images. My style sheet would have remained fine if I had just replaced my image and NOT regenerated the thumbnail. I had to turn the gallery into a single column of eighty images ;-) g

nikonkelly

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:34 am

Thanks Slug, it is much easier to be patient when we have an Idea of what is happening... that way we also know that you are aware of the problem and that you are doing something about it!
kelly

bonoman68

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:35 am

None of my images show; the whole site is down; 8TB caused all this???? sounds like very little memory; i hope this not what i think it is you guys have no back up; lets hope it will be resolved soon otherwise i am moving out :evil:

downsouthstories

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:38 am

Thanks for keepin us informed, Slug.

It's a bit frustratin waitin for things to return to "normal" but at least we have a rough time guide and that means a lot.

Thanks again,

Mike :)

camera0bug

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:39 am

Hopefully Santa will be bringing along the spare parts
you need, a little early in his delivery rounds this busy holiday season.

I know he traded in the sled and reindeers for a brown panel
truck a few seasons ago but hopefully he's carrying an extension
ladder to still reach the chimneys.

:arrow: Happy holidays to you and the staffers Chuck.

gusitar

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:47 am

bonoman68 wrote:None of my images show; the whole site is down; 8TB caused all this???? sounds like very little memory; i hope this not what i think it is you guys have no back up; lets hope it will be resolved soon otherwise i am moving out :evil:
Your recent Yosemite gallery is beautiful and truly well done. Oh yeah, also totally visible ;-) Most of your old stuff is down. If you do move, let me know where you go. BTW, I'm not knockin' you for being pissed; I just wanted to make sure the recent stuff is all good. NO, I do not work for Pbase ;-) I do, however, question everything anyone says to me. Yes, I have VERY few friends ;-) My guess is a day and a half more of this madness. Best and regards (B&R) - g

pinemikey

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:50 am

Thanks for all the hard work. It's been like a barrel of monkeys around here and maybe soon we can get back to taking and sharing photos.

larrytucaz

How Do You Backup Site?

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:58 am

An occasion like this is a perfect to ask--is there anyway for the USER to backup their Pbase site into HTML etc format? I've often-times thought of doing that anyway so I could have it to a CD for off-line viewing anyway?

LRH

flyingphotog

Thanks for the update

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:09 am

Appreciate your honesty and keeping your customers informed.

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
"FlyingPhotog"

ssim

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:20 am

I was disappointed to find that we find ourselves in what seems to be a repeating pattern once again. If there is a high point in all of this it is that Slug is actually keeping us informed. Perhaps he has learned something from days past when he took alot of heat for not communicating with the user group.

It was said earlier that pbase is one of the best values for money and there is no doubt in my mind about that. Even if they only charged pennies there is an expectation of minimum service when you buy from a company. How many would buy something from a company that said, we are cheap and we are going to give you lots of grief with downtime.

In recent months I have started to go back through all of my images and prepare new files that will be uploaded to a new provider. I didn't take this decision lightly. It is costing me hundreds of hours worth of work. I would have gladly paid many times more to stay with pbase if I knew that we wouldn't have these issues and if they did happen that they would be rectified in very short order. There are alot of people that use this site as part of their livelihood and to have some of your images not available to you for an extended period of time such as this is just sloppy management of our resources. I came on today because I had an order for one of my images and all I can do now is to get the customer to vaguely describe the shot to me and hope that we have the right one.

I am sure that there are some sort of performance guarantees that exist between pbase and NetApp. I, for one, would really like to know what these are. I had worked in an environment where I worked with a third party system provider and they guaranteed a monthly uptime of 98%. Uptime meantime that the system worked as designed and there were no failures in any of the modules. If there was problems we had someone constantly communicating with our customers to keep them informed.

I do not write this to just complain. I want to try and get through to the management of this site that you need to make changes. If you can't afford the support mechanisms at the rates that you charge then up your annual rates. Even at 4 or 5 times what we pay now I would consider a deal if we had a comfort level that this was not going to happen and if it did it would be rectified almost invisibly to most. Your most valuable asset is us your customer, try not to lose sight of that. If you have to lose a few customers because you are raising rates but insuring performance, so be it.

bcrosenberg

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:21 am

While the weather outside is frightful
PBase is so delightful......

I think all these responses show just how much we love and are ADDICTED to PBase!!

Keep fixin' , I will keep working on my backlog

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News 17-Dec Missing Images Update