Board index PBase News 17-Dec Missing Images Update

News

17-Dec Missing Images Update

chucklantz

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:04 am

Thanks Slug, et al.

Nice quick recovery, with actual progress updates, as opposed to the usual double-speak most other sites on the 'Net use when things go all horrible.

enigmawmn

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:23 am

Thank you, guys!

bigfoot_2001

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:33 am

Thank you very much Slug & PBase team,

This is truly a professional website with a great professional service. From what I read, this was really a worst case scenario and was fixed very efficiently and quick ! Great job.

Have a nice week

Markus

jacklouis

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:37 am

My galleries work fine again! I'm sure this situation was very difficult for the Pbase staff. Problems do happen.

jgr

Re: 17-Dec Missing Images Update

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:41 am

slug wrote:Finally. After what seemed like an eternity, the filesystem repair process completed successfully. It was tempting to take a chance and try to put things back online immediately, but fortunately the engineers at NetApp insisted that we carefully check and repair everything first to avoid data loss. Everything should be back online and normal with two kinds of exceptions.
Great job in getting things fixed and in keeping everyone informed. Many thanks.

dmottershead

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:44 am

Good job! Thanks for all your work in addressing this problem.

tim32225

Re: 17-Dec Missing Images Update

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:52 am

slug wrote:Update 18-Dec-2007 01:50 UTC
Finally. After what seemed like an eternity, the filesystem repair process completed successfully. It was tempting to take a chance and try to put things back online immediately, but fortunately the engineers at NetApp insisted that we carefully check and repair everything first to avoid data loss.

If tomorrow you're still seeing any broken images or gigantic thumbnail that the automated process I'm running now should have fixed, send me an email at slug@pbase.com and I'll take care of them.

Really sorry for all the trouble. I know it's painful to have visitors to your site find broken images.

-Chuck Neel
slug@pbase.com

Wow Chuck!

Thanks for the update and thanks for getting this all straightened out. I made the mistake of trying to regenerate some thumbnails, but luckily, only on 3 or 4 photos. I'll check tomorrow and see it those have been fixed.

We appreciate you posting the notice of the problem, and also for the update. That helps us a lot when a problem DOES happen, because at least we know you are aware of it and that someone is working on it.

Best regards,

Tim

lightcurrents

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:07 am

Is the problem of the fullsize images replacing the thumbnails why we are seeing full size images in the PAD gallery thumbnail section?

shutter

can i have my money back

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:08 am

browsing the recent galleries is so funny that some of the thumbnails are bigger than usual.....lol fix it slug :lol: javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Laughing

ekchua

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:09 am

The unexpected happens every now and then, that's life. But life goes on and I am happy to report that my galleries (over 2500 pics) are 100% restored. I'm sure Slug and the rest have been working their pants off - Thank you.

All said and done, should something like this happen again in the future, I hope the team at PBase will give more and timely updates. This will go a long way to avoid the mudslinging we have seen in the last couple of days.

Looks like Christmas will be a merry one. Happy holidays everyone!

marxz

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:42 am

excellent job - at least everything is back up and online - considering the size of the data set involved I honestly expected (from my professional experience) for it to be a couple more days before resolution.
there is no .sig

andrys

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:05 am

cbr_photo wrote:
amoxtli wrote:Next time, please give us updates every six hours or so, so we know something is being done.

Let's hope there is no next time. :wink:

But if there is, I'd hope people extend the benefit of the doubt before concluding nothing is being done simply because we're not receiving hourly updates.

Oh for heaven's sake. ONCE A DAY updates when something like
this happens will prevent squabbling as you were doing with unhappy
campers. It's done by most companies who understand customers
feel better that way and that cuts off the problems you saw piling up.

Next time maybe your arm will be okay and you don't have to sit here
playing St. George and the Dragons.

gege67

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:19 am

Bravo, tout est à nouveau OK.

Bonne continuation,

Gérard

mardoli

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:42 am

Today in this thread I'm glad to be a voice in the chorus...

Thank you, Chuck "Slug" and many thanks to the guys of the Staff.

In spite of my more than simply limited technical knowledge
I had guessed it would have been a lot of hard work to solve the problem
and you have done all for the best, relatively very quickly too.

Once again I get more and more persuaded that my liking for Pbase is fully motivated.
I deeply appreciate your wise choice to keep us promtly informed this time.

Marisa

philippe_75

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:58 am

Thank you. Good job.

Philippe from Paris in France :wink:

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News 17-Dec Missing Images Update