Board index PBase News PBase Updates

News

PBase Updates

reflectionsbyruth

Post Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:32 pm

but as far as I know now the service will begin with 48 states.
?

There are 50 US states plus Washington DC making 51 :D

50 states and 1 district*:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia*, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:56 pm

Continental US means the 48 states that are not Hawaii and Alaska. It's a shipping thing. DC will be included as that doesn't change shipping.

isabel95

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:53 am

I wonder about this too.

How long has it been that flash use indication in the EXIF area hasn't functioned correctly?

It seems like fixing that has not been a high priority.
I think accuracy in presentation is a lot of important than offering prints for sale.

Isabel

djwixx wrote:Why all the effort on printing?

There's no real mechansim for securing full size images from others to download, and I can't imagine many people wanting to waste their paid for space uploading full size images. I use shutterfly, mpix and others and the space does not cost me anything if I'm uploading to order prints. Unless you are using a note worthy printer I think you're putting all your effort in areas that are already suffiiciently covered elsewhere on the web at a fraction of the price that you're going to be able to negotiate.

I think the original point of Pbase and what people still use it for is being lost to services that people aren't going to use.

milindes

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:52 pm

I beg to differ. i am eagerly awaiting the printing option that allows full size prints. While photography is a hobby I am not averse to selling a few prints to people who might be interested in getting prints of my work.

Right now I end up replying to emails, uploading pictures to mpix and then getting prints.

Hope you guys have the print option available soon.

Milind

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:01 am

We're getting samples from them to make sure they are quality and to make sure we're sending them images to the specifications that they require.

Read this as: It's almost ready.

yardbird

Great!

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:07 am

Can't Wait!

hunky

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:12 am

Continental US means the 48 states that are not Hawaii and Alaska. It's a shipping thing. DC will be included as that doesn't change shipping.

Not true. Continental means the 49 states, including Alaska. Perhaps you are confusing contiguous with continental. Last I looked, Alaska was still on the continent. /jd

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:14 am

I actually looked this up before I posted on this thread and it turns out that Alaskans tend to feel that not including them when saying "continental" is a slight against them and so they do not use that term to describe the contiguous US.

Apparently, Alaskans tend to use "Outside", "Stateside" or "Lower 48".

All of these phrases except "contiguous" are a bit ambiguous, but inside the contiguous US, "continental US" means the same as "contiguous US".
Wiki said so

hunky

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:47 am

Looks like someone else is a little defensive. It is very simple: continental means on the same continent. That's all.

sandiwhi

Changing pbase

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:44 pm

Hello!

I love pbase, and thanks so much to all of you maintaining it, for all your hard work. I'm sure it's a huge committment and a big job.

I'm relatively new to pbase (coming up on a year), and I'm so happy to be a member. I've designed educational websites in the past, and want to say that I was attracted to joining pbase because it was so much more well designed and easy to use than any others I considered. I find it very logically organized and laid out, and it was easy for me to figure out how to upload my pics, edit titles and text, etc.

I hope when you make changes to the site, it will be with care and with a continued view towards keeping it user friendly. This is so important, especially to attracting new users who are often not all that techie.

Also, if you are young, please remember that many of us involved with photography and pbase are not, so please keep the font size large enough for us old foggies to see without having to pull out a magnifying glass.

Lastly, I'm a big fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", so hope you'll take great care in your changes, that they are desired and benefitial, and not just for the sake of change.

Again, thanks so much for all the hard work in keeping us going here. Finding and joining Pbase has contributed greatly to my increased interest in photography, and interacting with the pbase community has helped me continue to improve my skills. I so appreciate that! Thanks so much! Sandi

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:57 pm

Hey sandi. Glad you're liking PBase and you've got me beat by a month.

hunky, I'm just telling you that in every state besides Alaska "continental US" means the 48 states that are not Alaska and Hawaii. Whether that makes sense or not isn't relevant.

It's like if I were telling a story where I was eating potato chips and someone from Britain says "Hey, you weren't eating chips! You were eating crisps. After all, crisps are crispy!" Now, where he lives, that is true. Where I live, I was eating "chips" whether or not they're crispy. In Alaska, "continental US" is understood as 49 states. In every other state, it's understood as 48 states. You can launch a campaign to include Alaska in "continental US" in the lower 48 if it means that much to you, but I'd rather you didn't de-rail this thread with it. Shipping will be to the 48 contiguous states and that's all.

Now, there's an important issue at hand. I'm beginning work on the EXIF thing. There's more to it than just "getting flash to be recognized". Basically, flash broke while trying to get it to work more reliably a long time ago. The problem is that different cameras have different ways of giving the same info and so we have to figure out which things to ask for each different EXIF output. The question I have for you all will be posted in a new thread in Feature Requests called "What you need from EXIF"

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:15 pm

Hope you are all enjoying the new geo-tagging thing. It's pretty cool and it will continue to get updated for awhile, I think.

Now my news is that this forum is about to get upgraded. Right now, we're thinking tomorrow around 10AM EST is when it's going to happen. For that reason, the forum will be down for a few hours. It'll take about 2 and a half hours to do the whole thing and we might have some necessary tweaks afterward, so I'd expect it will be 4 hours but it could be more. You know how these things go. Anyway, I think you'll like the look of the new forums and there's a handy BBCode button for posting images. The main upgrade for us is the ability to have proper sub-forums. Also, from what I can tell, the threads that have become unreadable here in the past don't seem to have that problem on the new forum. We'll have to wait and see if there's a new way to break a topic later on.

After the forum thing, I'll be getting back to EXIF crunching.

djwixx

Re:

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:55 pm

nooutlet wrote:Hope you are all enjoying the new geo-tagging thing. It's pretty cool and it will continue to get updated for awhile, I think.

Now my news is that this forum is about to get upgraded. Right now, we're thinking tomorrow around 10AM EST is when it's going to happen. For that reason, the forum will be down for a few hours. It'll take about 2 and a half hours to do the whole thing and we might have some necessary tweaks afterward, so I'd expect it will be 4 hours but it could be more. You know how these things go. Anyway, I think you'll like the look of the new forums and there's a handy BBCode button for posting images. The main upgrade for us is the ability to have proper sub-forums. Also, from what I can tell, the threads that have become unreadable here in the past don't seem to have that problem on the new forum. We'll have to wait and see if there's a new way to break a topic later on.

After the forum thing, I'll be getting back to EXIF crunching.

The new forums look cool - GOOD JOB.

prinothcat

Re: PBase Updates

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:32 am

The new forum does look great. I do feel for the poor soul who is going to have to manually migrate all the sticky posts.... :lol: Interesting the new hierarchy in the equipment section...... :wink:

djwixx

Re: PBase Updates

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:03 am

I like the home button in the forums which takes you straight to your profile. Excellent.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News PBase Updates