Board index PBase News PBase Updates

News

PBase Updates

rsbfotos

Re: PBase Updates

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:34 pm

What was wrong with the old look?? Was it NOT working???
If it ain't broke don't fix it !

And the font is to small.
---------------------------------------------------
rsbfotos
You can't see the forest when you sneeze.

michaelsv

Re: Changing pbase

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:08 pm

sandiwhi wrote:Hello!

Also, if you are young, please remember that many of us involved with photography and pbase are not, so please keep the font size large enough for us old foggies to see without having to pull out a magnifying glass.

I agree, the "normal" font size is a way too small.

djwixx

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:00 pm

Now that the forums and the home page have the same look and feel, can that be extended to all the other pages? It may just be me but I can't help thinking that a consistent feel across Pbase (with the exception of personal customisation) would be a good thing.

P.S. All the recent changes and additions are greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work.

soenda

Re: PBase Updates: Random Photos Disappear

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:06 pm

I am very sorry to see that the random photos have disappeared from people's profile page. There's a tendency to look only at someone's most recent shots, which tend to be a narrow slice of the person's work. To get around that, I have often used their random photo display as an entry point for exploring Pbase members' galleries. It was how I discovered photos and sub-galleries that I might have over looked in earlier visits. I also liked the fact that you could refresh the page and get new batches of random photos.

I know that there are some people who wanted to turn off the random feature for their own galleries, and more power to them. However, it would be a shame if that their problem has been solved by deleting a feature that others enjoyed.

nkirby
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:24 pm

soenda wrote:I am very sorry to see that the random photos have disappeared from people's profile page. There's a tendency to look only at someone's most recent shots, which tend to be a narrow slice of the person's work. To get around that, I have often used their random photo display as an entry point for exploring Pbase members' galleries. It was how I discovered photos and sub-galleries that I might have over looked in earlier visits. I also liked the fact that you could refresh the page and get new batches of random photos.

I know that there are some people who wanted to turn off the random feature for their own galleries, and more power to them. However, it would be a shame if that their problem has been solved by deleting a feature that others enjoyed.

This isn't permanent, there were some problems updating the behind the scenes aspects of random photos so it had to be removed for the time being.

soenda

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:22 pm

Thank you very much for that good news. I think that having the random photos promotes visiting and commenting on other people's galleries. I'm delighted to hear that the current situation is only temporary.

I appreciate your getting back to us so quickly.

sbbish

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:54 pm

nkirby wrote:This isn't permanent, there were some problems updating the behind the scenes aspects of random photos so it had to be removed for the time being.

I agree with soenda...I'm very glad to hear this is only temporary. Thanks for the update.

akmc_in_au

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:01 pm

nkirby wrote:
soenda wrote:I am very sorry to see that the random photos have disappeared from people's profile page. {Snip}I know that there are some people who wanted to turn off the random feature for their own galleries, and more power to them. However, it would be a shame if that their problem has been solved by deleting a feature that others enjoyed.

This isn't permanent, there were some problems updating the behind the scenes aspects of random photos so it had to be removed for the time being.

If this is because the security hole (that is, pictures from password protected galleries appearing in random images) is being fixed, this is extremely good news indeed.

shawnkraus

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:40 pm

Thanks for the quick attention to the random images. They seem to be working fine again.
:D

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:51 pm

Here's a little update about what's been going on.

Before last week, I was mostly working on getting PicLens to work in a way that didn't hurt our servers too bad. I'll get to that a little later. Worked a bit on EXIF. The hold up on that is that we're trying to find the best way to retrieve and store the EXIF data. Questions like "which data should be stored as raw and which as readable?" are the main hold ups. Of course, the forum had a few complaints about things that had to be fixed and that will probably continue for a little while.

I took last week off to visit friends out of state so I don't know all that much about that time.

Every other day it seems I'm working on a different thing. Today, it appears to be printing pages. There were a few interface tweaks made before I left for NY and now there are a few more interface tweaks and now I'll be working on getting a consistent look for saved configurations of framed and non-framed prints. Yesterday, I was working on PicLens implementation. I've been talking on the phone with PicLens a bit and they told me about splitting PicLens requests into chunks(there was a concern that it would drastically increase the load on the machines if we were to fetch every image in a particular gallery every time a page in that gallery was viewed) and about how to make a sub-gallery thumbnail piclens button get the viewer into PicLens viewing that sub-gallery, so I got those things working yesterday.
Occasionally, tweaks to the forum have been necessary. In fact, this is as good a place as any to say that the forum will come down at some point for a few minutes because there's an update to the forum software. I'll try to do that during a time that isn't very busy.
It's been awhile since I dealt with EXIF, but I figure I'll probably work on it at least some this week just by random chances. I'll tell you if that pans out and I'm currently taking bets on whether it does or not. Even odds. Paypal is the preferred method of placing a bet.

This morning, I closed the front screen door into my nose and it got a bit bloody. That doesn't have anything to do with PBase, but it was a strange occurrence that you might find interesting.

andrys

Post Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:34 pm

nooutlet wrote:Here's a little update about what's been going on.
. . .
Yhis morning, I closed the front screen door into my nose and it got a bit bloody. That doesn't have anything to do with PBase, but it was a strange occurrence that you might find interesting.

First, thanks for all that info!

Second, Ouch ! I hope you're okay now. Must have hit it really hard... Take care of it.

yardbird

Post Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:48 pm

Thanks for keeping us informed. I appreciate that. Makes us feel part of a community. Take care fo yourself!
Cheers

nkirby
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:04 pm

yardbird wrote:Thanks for keeping us informed. I appreciate that. Makes us feel part of a community. Take care fo yourself!
Cheers

I think he should take better care of the screen door.

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:05 pm

That screen door had it coming. It's been sassy one too many times.

dougj

Post Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:46 pm

:mrgreen:

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News PBase Updates