Board index PBase News new feature: slideshow function *UPDATED 7/16*

News

new feature: slideshow function *UPDATED 7/16*

andrys

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:50 am

Larpman, that's a cute theater you've got going there! :-)
Neat idea as a site-intro that stops and directs your visitors downward.

Am still testing ways to get people who click on a slide,
away from my slide-gallery and to the original gallery.

Not sure it's intuitive, but it's working, for the most part.

- A ( testing at http://www.pbase.com/andrys/abtravels )

menasce

Javascript and all that jazz

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:45 am

I'm sorry, but I find your fix of the slideshow (and the Javascript removal problem at large) totally unacceptable. On the main page of the gallery you host on my behalf (http://www.pbase.com/menasce) I used to have, side-by-side, an interesting magnifying-lens tool I developed for my own job along with a slideshow. By removing the ability of running Javascript you annihilated one of the main reasons I pay your site to host my galleries, namely the possibility of expressing my creativity (which is nothing out of the ordinary I admit, but it's MY creativity!). I have developed other cool tricks I was going to implement on my pbase pages (see http://hal9000.mib.infn.it/~menasce/carosello for instance) but after your sudden change of policy I'm afraid I will go to look for sites where Javascripts are accepted (it should be your job to find a solution to technically stop abuses or thefts of sensitive information using Javascript: by just removing these with no advanced notice whatsoever is just poor management in my view...).
A pity, since I always considered your site the best in the neighborhood (where the neighborhood is actually the planet I currently inhabit).

ifotog

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:51 pm

I would like to echo arjun's request for the capability of the slideshow to just go pick random images. The empty parameter is a great idea.

It would also be nice to have a pause/play/forward/back navigation (I've had people comment on my previous slideshow that occasionally an image would go by that they wanted to see larger but missed clicking and they have to wait for it to come around again or give up). The navigation would not need to be a parameter - just include javascript methods that we could call from buttons/links of our own choosing to stop/start the timer and navigate the image array.

Finally, I'd like an option to display the image caption for the displayed image.

Nice work.

Mike

andrys

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:56 pm

dreamndigital wrote:It would also be nice to have a pause/play/forward/back navigation (I've had people comment on my previous slideshow that occasionally an image would go by that they wanted to see larger but missed clicking and they have to wait for it to come around again or give up). The navigation would not need to be a parameter - just include javascript methods that we could call from buttons/links of our own choosing to stop/start the timer and navigate the image array.

For now -- if your user clicks on an image it'll take them to the image to
enjoy for as long as they like and they'll be able to go Prev and Next.
More than I expected for a temporary quick-fix... IN the slides gallery
you can caption them too. They can use the browser 'back' to get right back to your slideshow page.

Nice work.

Mike

Agreed.

ifotog

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:29 pm

andrys wrote: For now -- if your user clicks on an image it'll take them to the image to
enjoy for as long as they like and they'll be able to go Prev and Next.
More than I expected for a temporary quick-fix... IN the slides gallery
you can caption them too. They can use the browser 'back' to get right back to your slideshow page.

True. I was thinking more from the perspective that at some point random images from random galleries will be able to be displayed. In my "broken" slideshow I used to have images that were coming from multiple galleries and the start point and order was randomly set when the page was loaded. This prevented folks visiting my root gallery from seeing exactly the same images in the slideshow every time they visited.

Mike

ifotog

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:50 pm

Actually, now that I think about it, another great feature would be SLIDESHOW(recent) which would show the last xx images uploaded (most recent first).

Mike

rsoen

Slideshow

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:11 pm

Nice feature, but on my pages the slideshow is only on the far left. How do I get it in the middle?

Robert

andrys

Re: Slideshow

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:01 pm

rsoen wrote:Nice feature, but on my pages the slideshow is only on the far left. How do I get it in the middle?

Robert

<center>SLIDESHOW(whatever)</center>

(You don't have to check HTML box for that centering.)

jswaters

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:38 pm

After some struggling and trial and error, (I'm totally technically challenged) I've finally got something that approximates what I had with Luis' slideshow here http://www.pbase.com/jswaters
At least it's clean and organized. I would like to see larger images in the slideshow as well, but I do appreciate the quick response to the initial loss of an obviously well liked idea.

Jenene Waters

andrys

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:44 am

Jenene, that's very classy looking. Well done !

camera0bug

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:44 am

Had to start at thread message #one and work my way to the end to catch up with this but I did manage to scrape a slideshow gallery together after some tinkering with imagery and situating the wordage.
http://www.pbase.com/camera0bug/face

Variable timing would be a good feature as would an almost-opaque non-distracting pause/play button (am I dreaming?).

Thanks for adding this feature and looking forward to seeing it put to use in a lot of galleries on Pbase, in varying creative ways.

Don't be afraid to be different than the pack.

rsoen

Re: Slideshow

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:52 am

andrys wrote:
rsoen wrote:Nice feature, but on my pages the slideshow is only on the far left. How do I get it in the middle?

Robert

<center>SLIDESHOW(whatever)</center>

(You don't have to check HTML box for that centering.)

Great thanks, I was looking in the stylesheet to do that. Did not think it was that simple! :oops:

Robert

emmelafoto

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:30 am

Still experimenting and far from completely happy, but I am getting somewhere.
http://www.pbase.com/emmelafoto
Maaike

daves88

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:25 pm

Whine, whine, complain, complain...give it a rest.

I say THANKS! to Slug and Chris for looking out for us, the security of this great website and for such a quick solution. So we don't have the "control" that we used to have, it's still workable and I'm sure they're working to give us more options.

I like the additional fact that the slideshow works even with "direct linking" disabled in my account settings. :D

Happy shooting.
Dave

aurelio

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:31 pm

It took me a lot of time with the help of talented and kind PBase members to get this slideshow worked. It looks cool but now I can only use one slideshow instead of three per gallery. I hope PBase will allow multiple slideshows again.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News new feature: slideshow function *UPDATED 7/16*