Board index PBase News new feature: slideshow function *UPDATED 7/16*

News

new feature: slideshow function *UPDATED 7/16*

isabel95

Possibly this only works with galleries having one word name

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:54 am

Tried it with one word name and it worked, but it didn't work with galleries having longer names.
Isabel

arjunrc

Re: Possibly this only works with galleries having one word

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:38 am

isabel95 wrote:Tried it with one word name and it worked, but it didn't work with galleries having longer names.
Isabel

Make sure you are using the gallery name and not the title name. For example, for a gallery with a title of "My Favourites" the gallery name would be my_favourites (there should be no spaces)
regds
arjun
--
I don't check forums very often these days, so if you need to get a response from me, please send me an email (see my profile) and NOT a PM.

mikelong

Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:29 am

The new slideshow works great, even better than before. T
Thanks
http://www.pbase.com/mikelong

vipm

slideshow before ans after

Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:29 am

Hi friends

What a surprise after coming home from my holydays in Crete.
My main page does not work with the java script.

But now every thing is OK.

Special thanks to the staff of Pbase and all contributors for there help.
Extra thanks to Karen Leaf who inspired me.

Best regards
Pierre

http://www.pbase.com/vipm

tsienni

Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:17 pm

camera0bug wrote:".. an almost-opaque non-distracting pause/play button" "would be a good feature" (am I dreaming?).

I echo Dan on this feature request.

I put up two galleries with the slideshow enabled. Wow, works great. Thank you, Pbase, for this elegant addition!

Tsienni

andrys

Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:38 pm

tsienni wrote:
camera0bug wrote:".. an almost-opaque non-distracting pause/play button" "would be a good feature" (am I dreaming?).

I put up two galleries with the slideshow enabled. Wow, works great. Thank you, Pbase, for this elegant addition!

Tsienni

If your viewers mouse over your photo they might notice it's clickable
though probably not. But it turns out that if you click on a 'slide' it
takes you to that image in your gallery and they can view it longer.

That's not the same but it's pretty neat.

camera0bug

Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:52 pm

I don't think most people randomly viewing would be aware of that feature without prompting.

It is a nice feature though.

andrys wrote:
tsienni wrote:

Tsienni

If your viewers mouse over your photo they might notice it's clickable
though probably not. But it turns out that if you click on a 'slide' it
takes you to that image in your gallery and they can view it longer.

That's not the same but it's pretty neat.

Don't be afraid to be different than the pack.

andrys

Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:15 pm

camera0bug wrote:I don't think most people randomly viewing would be aware of that feature without prompting.

It is a nice feature though.

Definitely. I've added text to both versions of the slide show ( home page and at http://www.pbase.com/ab-travels ) to let them know that if they can click on a 'slide' to see more.

vipm

Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:14 am

Hi Andrys

I think that is a very cool idea.

Pierre

kerrym

Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:22 am

To put a slideshow on a gallery, simply type SLIDESHOW(machines) into your gallery description while editing a gallery. Replace "machines" with the name of one of your galleries that contains photos.
Be sure to type SLIDESHOW() in ALL CAPS and remember to use the open and close parentheses () around your gallery name.

Okay, I'm coming in late on this - have only just found this thread :? I followed this simple instruction but was left with a box and a red square. Should it still be working or have I missed something?
Kerry Mitchell NZ
http://www.pbase.com/kerrym

kerrym

Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:43 am

To be more specific..... I was very happy with the slideshow I had until a big black hole was suddenly in its place. Now it's way over 12 months since I set that up following instruction from somewhere step by step....

I didn't touch a thing when it was wiped out, hoping that it would be fixed and a solution sorted. So a solution is sorted - but I don't see how. I don't want to spend 4 hours trying to figure out what you're all talking about. Can somebody start me off from scratch with this?

I still have the old code in my description. When I tried removing all of that the page didn't look right at all. So I need some help for where to go and how to do it.

What happens if I clean it all out and just type slideshow(name)? I lose my name title. How can I put that back up?
Kerry Mitchell NZ
http://www.pbase.com/kerrym

tim32225

Question about horizontal slideshow placement

Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:48 pm

I was about to leave on vacation when this whole scenario started and the slideshows disappeared. Before I left, I just placed a single image where my slide show used to be, until I returned from my travels and had time to fix the slideshow.

I am delighted to see the progress that has been made, and I want to thank Slug and Chris and the rest of the crew for the prompt action in getting this nice new slideshow feature.

But I am stumped on one thing. I can make the slideshow work on my root gallery, but when I do that, the slideshow is in a single column and my text (that should be in another column to the right of the slideshow) drops below it and takes up the whole width of the page.

For the time being, I have gone taken the slideshow back out and just left my page with a single image where the slideshow should be located. If someone can help me get the slideshow to locate in that exact spot and still leave the text on the right where it is, that would be really nice.

Here is the current page without slideshow, so you can see what I am talking about: http://www.pbase.com/tim32225

I've tried for a couple hours and I can't seem to solve this problem. Either the slideshow goes to the center and the text drops below, or the slideshow goes to the left, and the text still drops below it.

Help !!

Tim

tim32225

Problem with top of slideshow photos cropped off

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:03 am

I got the slideshow working almost as I want it, but I am still having a problem with the top portion of each photo in the slideshow being cut off. It's just about a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch at the top of the photo, but it ruins the compositon of some of the shots, so I need to get this fixed. The width of the photos is correct, but the height is slightly smaller than it should be.

If anyone can take a look at the code in my root page and put a finger on the probem, I would sure appreciate it.

http://www.pbase.com/tim32225

Thanks,

Tim

andrys

Re: Problem with top of slideshow photos cropped off

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:15 am

Tim, I just got home and don't know if you received my previous e-mails
to you since I didn't get any replies, but re this particular question, you
probably should start your table earlier.

Just -before- the "<table>" starts (the one holding your slideshow), try
one "<br>" and see if that helps. If not, try two :-)

tim32225 wrote:I got the slideshow working almost as I want it, but I am still having a problem with the top portion of each photo in the slideshow being cut off. It's just about a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch at the top of the photo, but it ruins the compositon of some of the shots, so I need to get this fixed. The width of the photos is correct, but the height is slightly smaller than it should be.

If anyone can take a look at the code in my root page and put a finger on the probem, I would sure appreciate it.

http://www.pbase.com/tim32225

Thanks,

Tim

tim32225

Inserting the breaks didn't have any effect...

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:02 pm

Thanks for the help. I tried inserting breaks before the slideshow, but that didn't have any effect, and that's why I was asking if anyone had any other ideas. I'm not sure what the problem could be, and now I'm wondering if it's something with the spacing in the stylesheet. But I've looked at that too, and I can't find what is causing the problem.

Tim

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News new feature: slideshow function *UPDATED 7/16*