Board index PBase News New Feature: Slideshows

News

New Feature: Slideshows

andrys

Re: Suggestion

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:03 am

srijith wrote:Guys, I think you should advertise all these new additions a bit more to the users. As you may have known, not many users hang out in the forums regularly. Hence, I would not be surprised if a lot of the users did not know about the additions of the stats page or the slideshow feature.

A suggestion I have is to publicise these new features more by posting a "News/Message from PBase" column in the user's logged in profile page, since the profile page is something the users will check often.

I think that we are like load-testers maybe? Better to start with
a smaller crowd with the added processing ?

CTSTONE: What's the possibility of going to 3 seconds?
Especially since people can just click to stop if interested in more?

I'm one who uses slideshows to see more quickly what someone
has, but I find 5 seconds for every image slow enough that I opt
out quite a bit before the end. I think others might do that too.

Really nice feature though. Works well too, except in IE 6.x with
Win 98 on my older computer due to my having active-x on prompt mode, no doubt.

rtwo

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:57 am

Big kudos to Slug/Emily and Chris for all the changes made lately. I like the creativity and care going into making this a better place to learn, connect, and share. Hats off!!!
Robin Reid
"Lets snap to it" <grin>

pinemikey

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:27 pm

I have a very minor problem of vertical slideshow images not fitting in my screen on my laptop..which is 1280 x 800. I'm sure it's not a problem at my desktop computers. I notice with other slideshows that usually the vertical dimension is limited to 600px as even 800px resolution screens sometimes only have about 600px viewing space after the browser header and footer take up their space. Maybe this is why we are seeing such a push on for 16:9 formats like on my new Lumix TZ1. The images a ideally suited for my widescreen laptop. However, a 800px vertical image has to be scrolled up and down. I believe the majority of screen resolutions run in the 1024x768 range, which I would think would cause scrolling issues with vertical images of 800px.

ctstone
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Re: New Feature: Slideshows

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:09 pm

xl1ken wrote:Was wondering if the slideshow option will bump up the hit counter for every photo in the album. If it does this would make it more difficult to judge which photos people like most.

Nope, the slideshow does not affect hit counts.

ctstone
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:19 pm

andrys wrote:CTSTONE: What's the possibility of going to 3 seconds?

Next week, I will try to incoporate some control device to set the delay. I'm thinking that the options will be 1 second, 3 seconds, 5 seconds, or 10 seconds. I will publish the ID of the containing DIVs so that people can hide it using CSS if they want to maintain a simpler interface.

andrys wrote:Really nice feature though. Works well too, except in IE 6.x with Win 98 on my older computer due to my having active-x on prompt mode, no doubt.

The slideshow runs entirely on Javascript, so I don't think your Active-X settings should affect it. Perhaps you could try a Windows Update (look for IE updates) or switch to a more complete browser like Firefox or Opera.

ctstone
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:34 pm

pinemikey wrote:Well, this just great!! I, like some the others, will now retire some of my slideshows. Although, the one I have here still has some features I like. Luis can feel good that the slideshow that Pbase has adopted is basically the same as the excellent one he presented in this thread.

Just out of curiosity - what features do you feel are missing? I was also surpised to see how similar my slideshow script was to Louis' implementation.

gebben

Slide show looks great

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:11 pm

Great slide show pictures are too large but if you hit F11 key thy look even better.

bigcav

New Feature: Slideshows

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:09 am

Good job! Thanks for all the good work and service. I have been thinking about a slideshow format for a long time, but I couldn't figure it out, Thanks for doing it for me.

feedback: Can you make the slideshow link back to the gallery or photo being wiewed?

andrys

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:36 am

ctstone wrote:
andrys wrote:CTSTONE: What's the possibility of going to 3 seconds?

Next week, I will try to incoporate some control device to set the delay. I'm thinking that the options will be 1 second, 3 seconds, 5 seconds, or 10 seconds. I will publish the ID of the containing DIVs so that people can hide it using CSS if they want to maintain a simpler interface.

Great! Thanks for the really quick and thorough reply.

ctstone wrote:
andrys wrote:Really nice feature though. Works well too, except in IE 6.x with Win 98 on my older computer due to my having active-x on prompt mode, no doubt.

The slideshow runs entirely on Javascript, so I don't think your Active-X settings should affect it. Perhaps you could try a Windows Update (look for IE updates) or switch to a more complete browser like Firefox or Opera.

That's why I said works well, except in IE 6.x with Win 98. I also run it
in Firefox on Win98, where it works well and will be trying it on my
Firefox and IE on the laptop. I do prompting on all scripting though with
IE, since it's so holeful. Will be curious how the slideshow does on mac
os9 and os10 browsers at work (IE is very backwards on os9 so I use
mozilla wamcomm there but tend to use firefox and safari on os 10).

Thanks again, CT, I guess it is? Really nice job.

andrys

Re: Slide show looks great

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:38 am

gebben wrote:Great slide show pictures are too large but if you hit F11 key thy look even better.

YES! I put a line in galleries about doing pc users doing F11 but cannot
put that into the single-image page.

Maybe we could have a PBase option of displaying that suggestion somewhere. There's a mac os10 equivalent too. Mac os9 is cmd-b .

What a difference the F11 makes in displays of 800x600's.

pinemikey

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:11 am

ctstone wrote:
pinemikey wrote:Well, this just great!! I, like some the others, will now retire some of my slideshows. Although, the one I have here still has some features I like. Luis can feel good that the slideshow that Pbase has adopted is basically the same as the excellent one he presented in this thread.

Just out of curiosity - what features do you feel are missing? I was also surpised to see how similar my slideshow script was to Louis' implementation.

Actually, the feature I like is that the slideshow code is in the description field of a regular CSS stylesheet, allowing me to change the look...I changed the vertical height of the image display to accomodate my laptop display and eliminated all the extraneous text which clutters (in my opinion) the slideshow...and added links to the rest of my galleries.

With regards to your implementation, I think you've pretty well covered all the bases....I agree with the KISS [Keep It Simple, Stupid] method. Embedding the code allows for a change in stylesheet for a different presentation which is much simpler than it will be for me to change mine. It won't take time for people to want to add music or some other such distractions but as it is now the only minor issue would be fitting of vertical images of 800px.

cjmorgan

Re: New Feature: Slideshows

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:41 am

ctstone wrote:We are happy to announce that the long-awaited slideshow is now
an option on the gallery page.As of now, there are no slideshow
controls (simpler is easier, right??). But we may offer controls in
the future. Please respond here with any bugs or feature requests.

Thank-you for the slide show option. It's very cool and I'm sure
will get used a lot. So thanks very much for that.

Now my request: the ability to vary the duration of each image
for a slide show.

Currently, the default setting is 5 seconds for each image. In truth,
I get bored even looking at my own images for that long (and I
actually like my stuff).

So, it would be nice to have the option to set the slideshow in any
gallery from anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds for each image. And
as well, to have the default setting set to 3 seconds (which is about
as long as I can concentrate on anything without my ADD kicking in).

Again, that's for the slideshow feature.

CJ

zevs

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:57 pm

Hi guys! Fantastic new addition to PBase, thanks so much for doing this!!! Many of us have wanted to get this and have tried different, not always so successful options. This is cool and stylish!

In order to save space I wonder though it wouldn't be better to have the image titles below the images instead of above as now.... That would make more space for viewing the actual slides and would also fit better with the general gallery and image look...

Zevs
http://www.pbase.com/zevs

sheila

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:24 am

Onwards and upwards :D Well done PBase team.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

sheila

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:41 am

sheila wrote:Onwards and upwards :D Well done PBase team.

Cheers
Sheila

I just knew I spoke too soon! My slide show stalls, speeds up and then the captions do not match the image and then stalls again. I guess this is just a teething problem.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News New Feature: Slideshows