Board index PBase News New Feature: Slideshows

News

New Feature: Slideshows

srijith

Suggestion

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:19 am

Guys, I think you should advertise all these new additions a bit more to the users. As you may have known, not many users hang out in the forums regularly. Hence, I would not be surprised if a lot of the users did not know about the additions of the stats page or the slideshow feature.

A suggestion I have is to publicise these new features more by posting a "News/Message from PBase" column in the user's logged in profile page, since the profile page is something the users will check often.

floradoragirl

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:34 am

This is awesomely great, thanks, and I'm not even someone who especially wanted a slideshow. One problem I've noticed though is that in the title field, after a few slides, it starts to show, beneath the title of the image on the screen, the title of the FIRST image in the slideshow.

That might be my browser which is IE6 on Windows 2000 (at work). I don't know if it'll happen at home but will check when I get there!

Still love the feature though, many thanks!

(and I agree with srijith's suggestion about the "news" column in our profile pages!)
Rosie

See what I've seen...

robertwhite

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:56 am

Thanks Guys great new feature I actually agree with sjith advertise all these new features they are all a big improvment Keep up the good work well done

dishio

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:15 am

ctstone wrote:
flemmingbo wrote:The slideshow code always uses the "large" size as far as I can tell - would it be possible to have an option to use the original size?

- the slideshow actually uses your primary image. As of now originals cannot be flagged as primary.

so the answer was no? What a pitty....
I spend time to correctly sharpen original photos... resizing it is just ruining my sharpening... tsk tsk.
What do you mean by "primary image"?

angusmac

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:37 am

thanks - nice development.

yardbird

Thank you

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:29 pm

Ah, finally! I guess like Srijith said, we can retire our hacks. This is a great feature and hopefully in the future, at your convenience you will give us some controls and time setting.

Thanks a bunch
Ardent Pbase fan!
Karthik

dang

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:41 pm

FanTAsTIC, Thanks! :)

gizz

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:41 pm

This is a great feature, something I had wanted for a while, but actually had gotten used to not having. Thanks for making it fade stylishly- it is in keeping with the attractive minimalism that makes pBase what it is.

I also agree that you should make more of these new features, though- maybe a note on the front page (if that isn't too similar to the way everyone else does things?!)

yardbird

Front page

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:48 pm

Hey, speaking of the front page, That's what Pbase needs now. You guys should change that around a bit. Make it more catchy. I know it is simple and everything, but while you can keep the galleries simple, the first page of Pbase, the potential selling point should be more attractive.

You guys are doing such a good job, but Pbase is still lagging behind the other cites in terms of popularity and there is no reason it should.

Oh, I had a wierd dream about this too. Google buys Pbase and suddenly the world wakes up to the greatness of this site. :)

Cheers
Karthik

ctstone
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:49 pm

dishio wrote:
ctstone wrote:
flemmingbo wrote:The slideshow code always uses the "large" size as far as I can tell - would it be possible to have an option to use the original size?

- the slideshow actually uses your primary image. As of now originals cannot be flagged as primary.

What do you mean by "primary image"?

"primary image" is more of a internal database flag that we use to determine which resolution to display. This flag is set by the upload server based on your original file resolution.

Edit: the primary image is your large image unless the original image was smaller than the "large" size.

xl1ken

Re: New Feature: Slideshows

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:15 pm

Nice new otion and thanks so much.

Just one question:

I like to use the hit counter to judge which of my photos are most popular. Was wondering if the slideshow option will bump up the hit counter for every
photo in the album. If it does this would make it more difficult to judge which photos people like most. Would like to see a future option that would enable/disable the hit counter when people are viewing a slide show.

Thanks again

Ken

ricecake

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:16 pm

:P Cool! Thank you so much. This site gets better all the time.

pinemikey

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:51 pm

Well, this just great!! I, like some the others, will now retire some of my slideshows. Although, the one I have here still has some features I like. Luis can feel good that the slideshow that Pbase has adopted is basically the same as the excellent one he presented in this thread.

If this slideshow is the one that pbase is going to stick with, then hopefully admins won't mind if I keep mine going. That way I can have one place to point people to and pick and choose what images I would like in my slideshow. I realize that all I need do is create a new slideshow gallery and copy images to that gallery and then point people to that link, but I would like to keep my little hack if that's okay.

stormseye

Yee Ha!

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:11 pm

This slideshow thing is great! Awesome! The Cat's Meow!

I was thinking of "building" my own website, but PBase just keeps getting better and betterer and bettererer.

THANK YOU for a wonderful new function! Love it!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Bruce B

"I have always felt that it is HOW one sees
rather than WHAT one sees
that makes any photograph interesting."
- Michael A. Smith, 1999

madlights

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:44 am

Thanks much...great. :D

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News New Feature: Slideshows