Board index PBase News Improved Comment Paging

News

Improved Comment Paging

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Improved Comment Paging

Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:19 pm

I've reworked the way paging is done on the comment management page. It should be significantly faster now.

The links for newest, newer, older, and oldest comments are still there. Now, instead of specifying a minimum or maximum date for comments, the links take you to a specific page number.

So, if you want to skip ahead from page 2 to page 7, just replace the page number in the URL.

Enjoy!
-Emily

sheena77

Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:51 pm

Emily, since you've re-worked the comment management page I seem to have lost quite a lot of comments from this page. The ones most obvious are the ones after 31 May this year and those comments prior to 7 February 2005.

Just wondered is the re-working has caused this to happen to mine and possibly other members' comment management pages.

Cheers Sheena

xl1ken

Re: Improved Comment Paging

Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:32 pm

Emily

I have also experienced loss of comments. A total of about 10 so far. I have (had) over 3300 comments if that helps.

Ken

emily wrote:I've reworked the way paging is done on the comment management page. It should be significantly faster now.

The links for newest, newer, older, and oldest comments are still there. Now, instead of specifying a minimum or maximum date for comments, the links take you to a specific page number.

So, if you want to skip ahead from page 2 to page 7, just replace the page number in the URL.

Enjoy!
-Emily

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:57 pm

If there is a problem, don't worry, it's only a display problem. The comments are not gone.

There was a little trouble when this first went online because we underestimated the spike in load on the database. It's basically precalculating the ordering so that the pages can display much faster than before. I think probabaly the problem is that the comments aren't yet in sequential order, rather than that they are missing and we'll finish smoothing this out today.

-slug

sheena77

Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:27 pm

Slug.

Many thanks for your response explaining that the comments may not be in sequential order yet. I had realised that the comments hadn't disappeared altogether, only that they weren't showing up where they should be on the management page.

Sheena

srijith

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:41 am

Thanks guys. The comment management page loads so much faster now!

robertwhite

Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:11 am

Thanks everyone for the improvments
and how nice it is to be kept informed
Thanks

moosie

Post Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:43 am

yeah, Oh ---- , I don't get here as
ofen as I like.

wwcsig

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:20 pm

A small nitpick - when you click to change the status of a comment from
hide to show or vice versa, the page reloads and you get back to the first
page of your comment section...

It would be nicer if you stayed on the current page instead...

Thanks,
Wolfgang

terberg

Re: Improved Comment Paging

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:52 pm

emily wrote:I've reworked the way paging is done on the comment management page. It should be significantly faster now.

Enjoy!
-Emily

The site just keeps on getting better and better. These 'minor' improvements make a massive difference. I just thought I'd express my sheer delight with the recent amendments.

camera0bug

Post Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:23 am

When are we going to have the ability to edit and
delete our own comments?

Mispellings, accidental duplicate comments and plain stupidity
in posting really necessitate this.

Not sure why this was never a priority as it's available on so many
other websites.

Don't be afraid to be different than the pack.

Board index PBase News Improved Comment Paging