News

Improved Feature: Favorite Artists Page

dang

Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:58 pm

Oops.. now I Find what I needed anyway! Great!!!!! lol :P

graylady

Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:22 pm

thanks Emily

I just create a personal favorite to keep unpublish ones and publish the rest.

I like the idea of cliking on the name of my favorites to get to their favorites. It should make easier to find other photographers with similar interest when more people publish their list.

Graylady
------
French speaking from Quebec, Canada. I learned photography using my Olympus C-5050 and now am having fun with an Olympus E-500.

ejohnw

Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:03 pm

Thanks, Slug and Emily. It looks great and seems like a good improvement. :D

lmcgeoch

Slight loss of functionality

Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:16 pm

The one thing lost, which I did like, is the ability to quickly see the whole list of someone's recent galleries. (Of course, it's just two clicks away, via their profile and then "recent".) It seems to me that the collection of a person's recent stuff is more important than their single most recent photo or their favorites list. In any event, nice work!

purimwed

Real loss of functionality

Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:00 pm

Hi.

I also prefer to see the list as it was before (including which galeries where recently updated).

I'm not happy with the change as it is now ...

BR

Wim

mataho

Fast and Easy

Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:22 pm

slug wrote:I confused as to why anyone would want the old way. Maybe someone can explain.
This new way is the same, a chronologically sorted list of people with recent uploads, only it displays actual photos instead of just a list of text. Plus there are other features.
Why would you want the text only version?
Is this just resistance to change or is there something else I'm missing?

-slug

The 'old' way allowed for a very quick and efficient 'one click' method of scanning one's personal list of favorite artists' work. I think the new way is interesting and worthwhile, it just creates more moves to get to the aforementioned result.

It's funny, but after several years of following certain artist's pages, it as if you almost 'know them,' i.e., their photo work that is...

I think that the PBase crew has created much more than just a resource for photographers...it has created a vehicle that brings beauty, adventure and drama into people's lives. The fact that people open up so much of their lives on these pages says something about the future of the world as a community. just my little soapbox....

homeward

Re: Fast and Easy

Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:22 pm

mataho wrote:
slug wrote:I confused as to why anyone would want the old way. Maybe someone can explain.
This new way is the same, a chronologically sorted list of people with recent uploads, only it displays actual photos instead of just a list of text. Plus there are other features.

-slug

The 'old' way allowed for a very quick and efficient 'one click' method of scanning one's personal list of favorite artists' work. I think the new way is interesting and worthwhile, it just creates more moves to get to the aforementioned result.

Beautifully put! I'm getting used to the more-than-one-click method -- but still, after using the new way all day, prefer the 'old' one!

lindabuckell

Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:27 pm

I must admit I prefer the old way too. Not resisting change but one click shows which galleries your favourites artist has updated. New way is a longer way round.

The option for either way would be good.

ralf

Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:33 pm

Slug, between the old version and the new version as it exists now, I prefer the old version. Why? Because the new version drops two bits of functionality that I relied on:
1. last-updated timestamp. I could see at a glance which of my favorite artists have had updates since my last use of the favorites page, rather than having to scan the pictures and try to remember which I've seen before. That's especially important when visits are far apart.
2. direct link to the artist's recently-updated page, so that I can see all the albums that have been updated since my last visit, and not just the single most-recently uploaded picture. Now it takes two extra clicks and two extra page loads to get there.... Again, an important feature especially for someone who doesn't look at their favorites every day.

If you add back those two capabilities, I'll switch my opinion of which version is better.

woodmist

Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:55 pm

Hi Slug,

Love the fact that you can see other people's faves, all helps in the learning process! Thankyou.

However, I too liked to see the my faves recent gallery's with one click on my list, having to get to their recent now takes a bit more time, but all that time adds up. I found myself not stopping to look deeper. (ok maybe I have too many favourites to get around!)

Hope you take this as constructive critisism.

:wink:

enigmawmn

Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:33 am

ralf wrote:Slug, between the old version and the new version as it exists now, I prefer the old version. Why? Because the new version drops two bits of functionality that I relied on:
1. last-updated timestamp. I could see at a glance which of my favorite artists have had updates since my last use of the favorites page, rather than having to scan the pictures and try to remember which I've seen before. That's especially important when visits are far apart.
2. direct link to the artist's recently-updated page, so that I can see all the albums that have been updated since my last visit, and not just the single most-recently uploaded picture. Now it takes two extra clicks and two extra page loads to get there.... Again, an important feature especially for someone who doesn't look at their favorites every day.

If you add back those two capabilities, I'll switch my opinion of which version is better.

Agree completely!

lbou

Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:13 am

Hi Emily and Slug,

The new feature of favourite artists has many great advantages, it looks funny, it allows the ones who want it to make groups, etc.
But like many others, I miss the two functionalities ralf mentioned, especially the "direct link to the artist's recently-updated page", because I used it all the time when I visited my favourites.

It's great to see you experiment all the time and try to improve this wonderful site.
Even if I'm not completely happy with the new change, I have a lot of admiration for what you both make, for your creativity.
Lucie

hsandler

Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:59 am

I appreciate the effort to provide new and improved features, but here's another vote for the "old way". More info (timestamps and list of galleries my favourites have updated) available with fewer clicks.

-slug

adalberto_tiburzi

Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:16 am

graylady wrote:thanks Emily

I just create a personal favorite to keep unpublish ones and publish the rest.

I like the idea of cliking on the name of my favorites to get to their favorites. It should make easier to find other photographers with similar interest when more people publish their list.

Graylady

I totally agree.
I have created a public list called "interesting pbase fellows"
;-)
PS
If someone could tell me if I have done well, if that is actually the list they see, I'd be glad.
8) Adal

pieval

Great

Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:36 am

Thank you for this new page. It's wonderful to see the last picture of my favourites.
There is only one only:
Is it possible to place a link below the recent picture to the recent page? Now it cost a few times clicking before you are there. And I think the most of us want to know about all the recent shots of our favourites.

Greetings

Valeska

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News Improved Feature: Favorite Artists Page