Board index PBase News note about power failure last night

News

note about power failure last night

dstearn

Re: note about power failure last night

Post Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:44 pm

slug wrote:Apologies for the problems last night.
There was a power failure at our hosting facility last night that took out all four of our server cabinets. This caused some downtime and some side effects that lasted into the day.
We'll be working with the ISP to find a way to ensure this doesn't happen again.

I'm not sure exactly what happened, but it seems they were doing installations for another customer and blew out a power distribution panel.
Unfortunately all eight of our 20 amp circuits were on that panel.
It took an hour or two for them to repair the problem.

Most everything was working soon after, but there were some lingering problems with stylesheets and the forums which should all be good now.

Again, sorry for the trouble. I'll try to recommunicate to the guys at the ISP that what seems like a small power outage to them affects tens of thousands of people trying to use PBase.

-slug

Doesn't your ISP have a UPS systems installed?

marke

Post Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:00 pm

rfcd100 wrote:Monday evening June 27th 7 PM in NYC and SLOW. Basicially unusable !

Same here in Milwaukee, WI. This has been happening too often that I'm just ready to call it quits with pbase.

I never even got the memory upgrade they promised a few weeks ago, and they even sent me an email confirming it.

How unreliable can a company get?
:roll:

mmcculloch

Post Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:49 pm

dstearn wrote:Doesn't your ISP have a UPS systems installed?

Maybe they do, but the circuit they blew was on the wrong side of it.

But, having said that, I then wonder why each server doesn't have a UPS.

Then again, they probably do, but only with enough backup power for a few minutes, to allow a clean shutdown.

jcboyd

Post Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:07 pm

Slug-nice of your to come on and tell us about the power problem but how about an update. At least some sort of message saying "we understand there is still a problem and we are trying to correct this". I feel that maybe you don't even know the problem still exists. An message would help.
Photography Is More - Than Just Clicking The Shutter!
http://www.pbase.com/jcboyd

donrisi

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:13 am

12:38 AM CDT, and we seem to be back up to speed. :D

Don

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Back to normal

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:59 am

Hey Guys!

Sorry for the slowness that we've been experiencing. The power outage caused some networking problems that made things move really slowly. Slug worked on it, and everything should be back to normal now. Let us know if you experience any more problems.

Thanks,
Emily

jcboyd

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:29 am

Seems to be blazzzing now. thanks
Photography Is More - Than Just Clicking The Shutter!
http://www.pbase.com/jcboyd

alexsjtan

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:32 am

Yup, things seem to be working over here in Singapore as well.

abwhitt

Re: keep up the good work, Slug and Emily

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:05 am

photoarrow wrote:Dear Slug and Emily, Well, "dang" couldn't have have expressed it better. Despite all of the whining and complaining I see out here, I too think you are doing a GREAT job. I sure would (wouldn't) like to see the "complainers" attempt to do what you do... Everybody seems to expect 101% server reliability--something that is humanly and electronically impossible! Every complainer seems to present themselves as some sort of "server expert", and am glad you have thick skin... Pbase is GREAT! I love it! Keep up the good work!

I see you joined in April 2005, so you have no experience of this site whatsoever. Those of us that have been a little bit longer, have seen huge problems here, and normally with no feedback whatsoever from Slugs. To his credit, he is now at least trying to keep us informed. Nobody expects 101% sever reliability, but neither do they expect to be continually having problems with accessing the site. To date you have only experienced a few weeks of it, I can assure you it gets a bit boring after a while!

tonyk

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:38 am

Because that is too costly. If the servers are in a data center, the data center should have a building side UPS.

Yet, if they blew the inside panel, could they have damaged some of pbase's servers?

Again, the provider did this, I would like to know what the provider is doing to restore service.

mmcculloch wrote:
dstearn wrote:Doesn't your ISP have a UPS systems installed?

Maybe they do, but the circuit they blew was on the wrong side of it.

But, having said that, I then wonder why each server doesn't have a UPS.

Then again, they probably do, but only with enough backup power for a few minutes, to allow a clean shutdown.

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:46 am

The circuit that blew was on the inside of the UPS, so it didn't help in this situation. We will be working with the ISP to eliminate this single point of failure and get the redundancy in the circuitry that we thought was there to begin with. Again, we are very sorry for the inconvenience. Glad to hear that things are back up to speed for everyone again.

Thanks,
Emily

camera0bug

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:49 am

Wow!
It's too fast now Emily...

Can you slow it down?

:lol:

andrys

Re: Back to normal

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:04 am

emily wrote:Hey Guys!

Sorry for the slowness that we've been experiencing. The power outage caused some networking problems that made things move really slowly. Slug worked on it, and everything should be back to normal now. Let us know if you experience any more problems.

Thanks,
Emily

Hey, you know we will! :-)

Thanks for coming onto the forum to let us know, Emily.

arjunrc

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:06 am

I am glad the issues are solved. It really is blazing, aint it :-)

The problem is that while there is downtime or slowtime, people post a
new message every few minutes in various forums including dpreview - which then become 'poaching' threads for d*lts to start advertising 'sign up reference codes' for their own favourite alternative sites.

While people have a right to report and complain, not a single on reports back on the several external (to pbase) threads that things are resolved.

Sorry, just venting a bit - might be having a bad day :-)

regds
arjun

camera0bug wrote:Wow!
It's too fast now Emily...

Can you slow it down?

:lol:

skitch

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:54 pm

The good old PBase is back again. :D
And fast.

Greetz.

Skitch