Board index Equipment Printers i9900 or epson 2200?

Printers

i9900 or epson 2200?

p1ayn

i9900 or epson 2200?

Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:09 pm

I have been researching both printers and was wondering if anyone can advise me of personal preferences of likes an dislikes of their printer. As far as i can see, the main difference other than price is the speed. I do realize of their paper differences with the epson auto cutting and roll paper, but I guess Im more concerned on the quality and quirks that I may have missed. Thanks, any info would be appreciated.
:)
Copyright 2004 Jorge Alatorre

ukexpat

Re: i9900 or epson 2200?

Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:57 pm

p1ayn wrote:I have been researching both printers and was wondering if anyone can advise me of personal preferences of likes an dislikes of their printer. As far as i can see, the main difference other than price is the speed. I do realize of their paper differences with the epson auto cutting and roll paper, but I guess Im more concerned on the quality and quirks that I may have missed. Thanks, any info would be appreciated.
:)

I have the i9100 and it is first class so I would assume the i9900 is as good or better. As far as paper is concerned, I think Canon makes the paper that Epson sells under their brand name...

castledude

Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:16 pm

You have it about right .. I have the 9900 but friends of mine have the 2200 and we have done a lot of comparisons.

Both are great printers. Both produce amazing prints. You will not be disappointed with either one and if I had one I would not think about trading for the other.

----------------------

The speed of the Canon is amazing compared to the Epson.

A 13x19 (that's what you want it for) is 27min on the Epson and under 3 min on the Canon. Bad news is you will probably waste more ink/paper on the Canon since it is so easy to print another copy. If you print like I do, I tend to print 5-10 sheets in a batch. That would be (at the top end) the difference between 5 hours and 30 min of printing time.

The paper handling is great on the Epson. For me roll paper is not that interesting but it is a cool feature. I would like the ability to print bigger panoramas on the Canon.

Printout quality is great on both printers, The Canon wins for the average color picture and the Epson does better black and white. Most of the time it is up to the user to decide which is better (it's pretty darn close).

The ultrachrome inks (Epson) give longer lifes, but I tend to print on Kodak archival paper so it evens out. The Ultrachrome inks do look a little different under different lighting (nothing to scare you just be aware of it).

I like the Canon ink system better than the Epson system since it is easier to check out and make sure it is not cheating you out of ink. The EPSON system counts drops and shuts down when the cartridge is "Empty". Also Canon has used the same cartridges for a long time so I can expect that my next printer will still be able to use any cartridges I have left over from my previous machine.

Epson printers clean themself a lot more and for a lot longer than the Canon. This means the first print of the day is going to cost you a lot more time and ink for the Epson.

Time is a biggie with me and was the biggest decider, the cleaning time of every Epson I have is frustrating so it was probably decider #2.

p1ayn

printers

Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:30 pm

Hey guys thanks alot. Very informative and I have to agree that time is important as well as costs in all avenues. I9900 is cheaper and from the sounds of the cleaning and ink useage, the epson is more expensive there as well. Quality is pretty much equal from what I gather so looks I am favoring the canon. FYI I do have the I950 and am pretty satisfied with the prints although the saturation is less vibrant than what I had in the HP. I think its more of a driver setting than anything else but this was one reason I was also looking at the epson.
Now if i can only get a great deal on this i9900........ :lol:

p1ayn

Post Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:52 pm

WOW!!!
I recieved my i9900 two weeks ago and have three prints at 13X19!!
Incredible printer and man is it fast! Thanks for the info, I believe I made the right choice!

Board index Equipment Printers i9900 or epson 2200?