Board index Equipment Printers Canon 6000 and 9000 Series--Question

Printers

Canon 6000 and 9000 Series--Question

pstewart

Canon 6000 and 9000 Series--Question

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:17 am

I am planning to purchase a new inkjet printer for photos and have decided on the Canon 9100. Does anyone here use this or the 9000 or 6000, 6100?

1. If so, what photo paper/s have you found to work well, besides the expensive Canon Photo Pro Paper?

2. Has anyone used Konica or Epson papers successfully with this printer?

3. Has anyone tried Epson Photo Paper with it? I have a lot of that since I currently have an Epson printer...just wonder if it will be useful.

4. Does anyone know where to buy larger quanitities of a good paper ...such as a pack of 100 8.5 x 11 sheets rather than the small 15-sheet packs?

ukexpat

Re: Canon 6000 and 9000 Series--Question

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:20 pm

pstewart wrote:I am planning to purchase a new inkjet printer for photos and have decided on the Canon 9100. Does anyone here use this or the 9000 or 6000, 6100?

1. If so, what photo paper/s have you found to work well, besides the expensive Canon Photo Pro Paper?

2. Has anyone used Konica or Epson papers successfully with this printer?

3. Has anyone tried Epson Photo Paper with it? I have a lot of that since I currently have an Epson printer...just wonder if it will be useful.

4. Does anyone know where to buy larger quanitities of a good paper ...such as a pack of 100 8.5 x 11 sheets rather than the small 15-sheet packs?

Phyllis

I have used the Canon i9100 since last June and it is a fine printer. I have used Canon and Kodak paper with it and the Kodak works fine, but I would give the quality nod to the Canon paper. As for Epson paper, I heard somewhere that Canon actually supplies Epson with the paper that Epson sells under the Epson brand.

Just as an example, I printed out this image:

on 19"x13" paper and it looks great, in fact my wife secretly had it framed for me and it now hangs in my office!

One other thing that I have found to be beneficial is to use third party software (in my case Colorvision's PrintFIX) to create a separate colour profile for each type of paper that I use. I don't use these profiles for "everyday" prints, but it does make a difference for best quality work. BTW do you use a calibrated monitor? I have found a calibrated monitor to be essential for maintaining quality from digital image to print. I use Colorvisions OptiCAL and Spyder for my monitor.

Finally, I regularly visit your PBase galleries -- you do great work!![/img]

castledude

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:19 pm

The one advantage that Epson has had bragging rights over is the longivity of the prints. Kodak now has a universal paper (Ultima line) that gives you 100+ year print life from any printer. It comes in 15 and 40 page packs. I've picked it up at times on a buy 2 get 1 free sale and really like this paper. It's really heavy grade (71lb) and great for portfolio type work. I prefer the Satin over Glossy but that is a personal preference.

It's available at most places (Staples, Office Depot, Office Max etc). The only bad thing is the 4x6 version is actually 4x6.5 which can be a pain when trying to do edge/edge printing.

Make sure it has a Colorfast logo on the front of the paper.

A lot of Canon people really like Red River paper (http://www.redrivercatalog.com) and it comes in big packs. They also provide less expensive large format paper.

Unless you need it now I would not get the 9100, a 9900 from Canon is coming soon and is supposed to be even more impressive with an added red, green tank. I would expect that the 9100 will drop in price very soon as this replacement is released (due in May). I use an 860 which falls in quality between the 9000 and the 9100 (not wide format) but produces really good prints.

Since there are so many versions and revisions of paper I would advise taking a sheet of your epson paper and going into a local store and running the demo on it. You can then be the ultimate judge.

pstewart

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:48 pm

Thanks, Nigel and Castledude...lots of good suggestions, and so quick! :)

I am also concerned about the waterproof qualities of the paper. Do these other papers dry fast and resist smearing?

ukexpat

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:28 pm

pstewart wrote:I am also concerned about the waterproof qualities of the paper. Do these other papers dry fast and resist smearing?

Yes, in my experience.

castledude

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:43 pm

In the case of the Kodak paper it stabilizes pretty quickly. In a moderately humid environment (I live at the beach in CA). It is instantly non smearing but tacky for about 1 hr. After the hour it can be mounted. I have heard others recommend 24 hr drying just to be sure. During the tacky phase you can pass them around and look at them but putting them in direct contact with glass, plastic etc. will cause them to stick and look funny.

Contact with water is not recommended for the photo paper but printing on magnets or porous paper is pretty waterproof.

jperilloux

Re: Canon 6000 and 9000 Series--Question

Post Thu May 06, 2004 10:23 am

pstewart wrote:4. Does anyone know where to buy larger quanitities of a good paper ...such as a pack of 100 8.5 x 11 sheets rather than the small 15-sheet packs?

Try http://www.redriverpaper.com/index.html

I've found their 62lb ultrapro satin to be excellent.

http://perilloux.org

Board index Equipment Printers Canon 6000 and 9000 Series--Question