Board index Equipment Printers Color differences between Photoshop and Epson Photo R320

Printers

Color differences between Photoshop and Epson Photo R320

charales

Color differences between Photoshop and Epson Photo R320

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:17 pm

Hi,

I wander if anyone else has noticed/suffered the anoying color differences between Photoshop and Epson Photo R320.
I mean that no matter what I print from Photoshop, I always get a darker result on the printer.
Does anyone know why could this happen?

Thanks!
http://www.pbase.com/charales

The beginning is the most difficult part of a job - Plato -

marxz

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:00 am

no matter what brand I tend to see prints from inkjets and dye subs being darker (you'll probably notice that the highlights tend to be OK but the shadows and mid tones are darker?)

never been able to completely knock that one out using just print dialogue/ colorsync/printer setting but having these right gives you a consistent baseline to work from.

I created a photoshop document with a set of grey and coloured boxes increasing in tone. Then created a curves adjustment layer then printed out (on 4x6's) slightly changing the curve's mid and shadow lift until I good a good match.
I now copy this curves adjustment layer in to all documents (leave invisible until you go to print) and if the 4x6 proof shows it needs tweaking (about 20% of the time) I'll adjust it.

all a bit empirical and hit and miss I know but after a few goes I can can get the tweak right first or second time before rolling off a larger format print.

also check the following

- In Photoshop use the "show out of gamut warning" - any area that shows here will be murky and generally darker than on screen.

- settings of your "print quality" and "paper type" I'm unfamiliar with Epson's settings but this will affect how (and how much) ink is laid down and can cause an image to be dark and murky
there is no .sig

Board index Equipment Printers Color differences between Photoshop and Epson Photo R320