Board index Equipment Printers Epson Stylus Photo 2200 vs ???

Printers

Epson Stylus Photo 2200 vs ???

ukexpat

Re: Canon i9100

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:17 pm

wsolum wrote:ukexpat -- just wanted to let you know you were already on my list of favorite artists. I really like that shot from Hong Kong of the two towers.

Thanks very much. That's one of my favourites too -- I was lucky with the atmospheric conditions that night. I printed that one out on Canon glossy paper in letter size and it looks really good. I hope I get a trip back to HK soon now that I have my 10D and 16-35L zoom!!

ludwigbeck

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:45 pm

ugot2bkdng wrote:
What's a good tool for creating artistic interpretations of photos that doesn't take a fine-art degree?

That would depend on a lot of things. Like what other things would you want to do with the program, how much money are you willing to spend, do you want just "canned" filters or do you want to use your tablet to add your own brush strokes? I use Photoshop with a lot of actions and layers and Paintshop Pro. Painter was beyond my skill set. :D Some of my stuff here http://www.pbase.com/ugot2bkdng/innographx_challenges .

Perhaps a way to decide what suits you best is to participate in a forum that has a lot of participation. I like http://www.innographx.com/forum/ myself.

I like a Photoshop plug in called Buzz.pix see some samples in my gallery
http://www.pbase.com/ludwigbeck/galleries

eddiep

Re: Epson Stylus Photo 2200 vs ???

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:01 pm

Is anyone using an Epson 2200?...

I am and it is a FANTASTIC printer. I print mostly (almost exclusively) on matte paper using the matte black ink. The blacks are the deepest I've seen of any ink jet. You will go through the ink though.

If you do a lot of printing, you should maybe consider shelling out the extra $1000 and go for the Epson 4000. I'm considering it. The money you save on ink will be worth the the extra money in a short period of time. Again, depending on how much you print.

You can buy 220ml cartridges for the 4000 for about $75, while the smaller cartridges for the 2200 (about 10-12ml) cost $10.

wsolum

Ink cost

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:43 pm

That's something to consider. The 2200 carts are $1.20 per ml while the 4000 carts are 0.34!

buddymac

Post Thu May 13, 2004 6:02 am

I use my 2200 for art reproductions for the most part. Print on Hannamule 460gsm Photorag matte paper. The 2200 does a beautiful job. The artists I work for love the prints I make for them and are always comparing them to the quality of gicleé prints. Most of my glossy work is on Epsons Premium Glossy and it seems to work fine for me. I am considering the 4000 but it is in such short supply there is plentyof time to think about it.

The least expensive place I have found to by the ink for my printer was a Buy.com. 9.28 per cart.

fitpix

Love the 2200

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:07 am

Love it love it love it

lotsadogs

2200 paper question

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:46 pm

Has anyone experimented with using different types of papers in the 2200? I just got one (refurbished or used selling on e-bay for around $400). I print on fabric using my HP Deskjet 5650 (make photo quilt blocks). I thought I'd experiment with the 2200, but before I do, I'd like to know if anyone else has done this.

Also, are the dyes water based, and if so, might there be a way to "set" the ink?

Many thanks!!

Lorrie

wsolum

Different papers

Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:50 pm

I've printed on Epson's Matte Heavyweight, Archival Matte, Semi-gloss and Premium Luster. I just purchased a roll of Water-resistant Canvas yesterday but haven't printed on it yet.

Epsons UCM inks (used by the 2200 and 4000) are pigment based rather than dye based and a consequence of that is it requires special coatings on the media you print to (I believe they are ceramic coatings). They are water resistant with the proper papers but on paper intended for dye ink, the UCM ink doesn't get absorbed and sits on top where it can be washed off. I have had this experience printing to OfficeMax's 8 1/2 x 11" sheets of canvas paper which is why I bought the Epson Water-resistant.

There are coatings you can apply but I don't know about fabric. That really sounds interesting. Is this the paper I see on the shelves at OfficeMax?

lotsadogs

Printing on fabric with Epson 2200

Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:02 pm

Well, I've done a little experimenting; The Epson 2200 prints perfectly on the fabric sheets (June Taylor; available at quilting and sewing stores). I used the same directions as for an inkjet printer (iron, rinse in cold water, pat dry with a paper towel). The inkjet had a certain amount of bleeding (hence the patting dry). The 2200 had NONE. I have yet to try to re-wash the print (the paper instructions say do not use detergent; use only a small amount of fabric softner to wash).

The limitations to the paper are that it is a little stiff (kind of like a really lightweight canvas - very fine weave) and it only comes in 81/2X11. I have purchased some similar white fabric and am going to experiment with that. You can iron it onto freezer paper (shiny side to the fabric) as a carrier for the printer, or else use contact paper (which tends to curl due to coming on a roll).

blackjack47

Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:02 am

I use an Epson 2200 and am very pleased with the results.

renae_nick

Epson 2200

Post Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:53 pm

I also use the Epson 2200 and have been extremely pleased. I have printed on a wide variety of papers and always had superb results.

Previous

Board index Equipment Printers Epson Stylus Photo 2200 vs ???