Board index Photography Artistic Questions The official "Let's Share Post Editing Secrets" Thread.

Artistic Questions

The official "Let's Share Post Editing Secrets" Thread.

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
gpaai

The official "Let's Share Post Editing Secrets" Thread.

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:24 pm

Recently I posted an image that looked aged and since have received messages asking what plug-in, action, etc., I used. My answer....... NONE!

I started thinking, instead of sending replies to those requesting information, I thought it would be cool to start a thread that Pbasers wanting to share editing secrets, tips, etc., could do so. Let's show 'em how it's done!

Ok, for my image:

1. After making a duplicate layer of the original image, I desaturated the new layer just so there was a hint of color.
2. Take a paper bag from your local grocery store, clean off a dirty counter top with it, crinkle it up getng a lot of wrinkles in it, flatten it once again, scan it, then open the file in photoshop and using the styles pallette change it to sepia.
3. Drag the paper bag scan file to the file you are treating and make it the top layer. Add a hint of monochrome noise to it.
4. Now just use the opacity feature on the paper bag scan layer, allowing the underlying image layer to show through to taste. *Note: If you want the paper bag to really dominate the empty/negative areas of the image, yet allow the featured area of the image to show through, use a soft edge eraser set low and slowly erase the paper bag layer until the areas you want to see more start showing through.

I love photoshopography.......

bclaypole

Re: The official "Let's Share Post Editing Secrets" Thread.

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:30 pm

Thanks for the tip - worked real well.
I tried (but without as much success) the same idea recently using a tiny crop of textured rock I had in once of my pictures - streched it over the original and faded it to taste.
Resulting in,

Cropped rock came from,

gpaai

Post Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:16 pm

I'm really hoping that others have secrets to share.

gfakes

Post Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:56 am

gpaai wrote:I'm really hoping that others have secrets to share.

I like what you did here. Very creative.

gpaai

Post Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:07 pm

gfakes wrote:
gpaai wrote:I'm really hoping that others have secrets to share.

I like what you did here. Very creative.

Thanks! I was hoping that more Pbasers would share techniques.

halesr

Post Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:48 pm

I think this is a great idea. I have added instruction steps to some of my images when I received a lot of questions. I love your editing and the use of the paper bag.

I have one alternative suggestion.

Add a layer mask to the bag layer. Then paint on the mask. White reveals; black hides. This allows you to change your mind and re-edit that layer as much as you want to erase where the bag is showing. You can even use shades of gray to only partially hide the bag in various areas.

I hope this is sort of clear.

I plan to try your technique.

Rene

Board index Photography Artistic Questions The official "Let's Share Post Editing Secrets" Thread.