Board index Photography Artistic Questions Linux OS and photo editing

Artistic Questions

Linux OS and photo editing

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
tiffanyjeanne

Linux OS and photo editing

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:51 am

My poor windows vista computer is about to crash is not fixable, according to the microsoft dude who also informed me that the warranty is actually more dead than the computer. So, I am trying out Linux to try to squeeze a little more life out of this poor thing before I have to break down and buy a new one. The version of Linux I am getting uses G.I.M.P. for photo editing, and I decided to try it out while I still had vista (honestly, I couldn't wait to play with new stuff...LOL :lol: )
So, I played a 4 of my photos, and created a new gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/tiffanyjeanne/compare_the_edits
Please check it out and let me know what you think...and be honest...I do get carried away sometimes. :lol:

Thanks,
Tiffany

pinemikey

Re: Linux OS and photo editing

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:15 pm

I've used Gimp before and I definitely feel it is as good or better than most of the photo editting software out there. The Leaves and the Log Bench came out just fine.

tiffanyjeanne

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:30 am

Well, I am officially on Linux and have used GIMP for a new gallery of photos that had not been edited prior to using this. (Well, there are a few that were edited on Photoshop, and even those came out better with GIMP, in my opinion...LOL!

thelund

Post Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:53 am

tiffanyjeanne wrote:My poor windows vista computer is about to crash is not fixable, according to the microsoft dude who also informed me that the warranty is actually more dead than the computer. So, I am trying out Linux to try to squeeze a little more life out of this poor thing before I have to break down and buy a new one. The version of Linux I am getting uses G.I.M.P. for photo editing, and I decided to try it out while I still had vista (honestly, I couldn't wait to play with new stuff...LOL :lol: )
So, I played a 4 of my photos, and created a new gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/tiffanyjeanne/compare_the_edits
Please check it out and let me know what you think...and be honest...I do get carried away sometimes. :lol:

Thanks,
Tiffany

Are you sure that your "problems" wouldn't be fixed by simply reinstalling Vista? Or installing XP instead for that matter!?

But on the other hand, if my only use for my computer was surfing and picture editing I would probably run Linux too!

But I do run a lot of games and software that doesn't run on Linux...

tiffanyjeanne

Post Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:15 am

Unfortunately, I couldn't. I had no restore disk when I got my laptop...factory fluke, but a from they way it was explained to me, there was a lot of this brand that were packed up and sent to stores with the disks missing. I contacted the laptop ppl and they said to call microsoft to have one sent if I needed it. I did and they wanted to charge me around 169.00 to have the disk (that should have been included) sent to me. Well, I told them where to ship their disk :lol:
Then had my brother-in-law send me a copy of the version of linux he has been using. I don't miss microsoft yet.

ericvision

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:55 am

You can use somebody else's windows vista disc to install vista if you have a license sticker on the bottom of your computer... The ones from Dell machines usually work on any mooter :)

You can get WIndoze 7 for free if you look around, and its better than Vista. The new release candidate lasts until March 2010.

You can use Ubuntu 8.10 Linux. It rocks, installs on pretty much anything, you can get GIMP which is great for general manipulation, there are a few free RAW processors available or you can get Bibble Pro for Linux which is the same as in windows and also excellent.

Try pressing f9 lots when you start your computer. It may have a recovery partition which works the same as a windows disc. Long shot but worth a try!

abdul_qadeer

Post Sat May 02, 2009 3:56 pm

HI,
I am searching a good photo editor.
Can someone put a link here? :D

mnl

Post Sat May 02, 2009 9:59 pm

tiffanyjeanne wrote:...and be honest...I do get carried away sometimes. :lol:

Here's a really general comment, and it's hard to apply it to any one photographer or even any one set of photos. That "general" impression is that much of what I see on Pbase and elsewhere is over-edited. That could be the case with some of your photos and others in this thread.

The incredible capacities of full version late issue PhotoShop (and some others) is that they are capable of subtle editing. In other words, a less-than-brilliant flower still looks good even if one hasn't cranked up the saturation, heavily tweaked the curves, etc. So the advice I'd give about Gimp (which I haven't used) is whether you feel you have total control and the program allows you to have a light touch with the editor.
All M8. Mostly 28 2.5 Elmarit http://www.pbase.com/mnl/photo_diary

madlights

Post Thu May 14, 2009 10:06 pm

I took an Adobe survey a few months ago...they asked which operating system the respondent was using. I don't remember the particulars but if I remember correctly Linux was one of the choices in the questionnaire. It's not much to go on, but at least Adobe is starting to recognize that there are more operating systems out there than Windows and Mac. Maybe someday they'll take it into account. I've heard they are pretty good at letting the customer switch operating systems on upgrades...who knows maybe by Photoshop CS10 they'll have a version for Linux (I will then consider changing my OS completely) :D
I totally agree with mnl about editing. My first 4 years with digital was spent learning to edit, I've spent the last 4 trying to learn not to, or at least when not to. There are some cases where editing in regards to contrast or sharpness seems it can be done by the computer better than in many cameras. I also agree that "subtle" is usually the key word...

surindersinghstudio

Post Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:16 pm

Surinder Singh (+91-9971008151)
Advertising, Fashion & Travel Photographer
New Delhi, India.
http://www.SinghStyleStudio.com

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Linux OS and photo editing