Board index Photography Artistic Questions request to paint by Low Tho Seng ?

Artistic Questions

request to paint by Low Tho Seng ?

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
reflectionsbyruth

request to paint by Low Tho Seng ?

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:49 am

I just had someone by the name of Low Tho Seng ask me to send him some of my pictures so he can use them to teach his students how to paint.
He said in turn he would email me a picture of the painting.

Sounds kind of strange to me that someone would ask for the file when they can see it right on Pbase.

Anyone else here receive the same request?

I found references to him on the websites below. I never know what to say for requests like this?
Any ideas?

http://artzhouse.com/LowThoSeng.html

http://c-diletto.blogspot.com/

http://www.streetdirectory.com/classifieds/singapore/lesson_and_instruction/lesson_and_instruction_arts__drama_courses/learn_to_draw_and_paint_at_your_own_pace

dang

Re: request to paint by Low Tho Seng ?

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:03 am

Hi Ruth,
I've had several requests for (of all things) mantis shots form artists/illustrators to paint by. Each time they were pleased to download the files I had posted, and never requested larger file sizes. However, none of them had websites I could find, and with small files I had little concern it was for commercial use. Looking back, derivative illustrations could easily be in books now, though I'm not sure I'd deserve pay anyway (insect photos being a dime a dozen these days).

Maybe ask yourself:
1. What size files does he need?
2. Do you mind derivative works being made of your photographs?
3. Would it impact your future sales?

His site seem legitimate to me, and you might check if he's actually had works in museums. Seems if he can afford the cost of websites, he could afford to pay for shots, or send an actual painting done by him, instead of a photograph of one.... Sounds he values his work/time more than yours, though his work obviously depends on others.

Difficult decision when you're on the web.

dougj

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:49 am

I've had artists request the use of photos, mostly for personal use and I don't care too much about these. Two of them were intended for commercial use - one for a painting that was to be sold in a gallery and the other for a book that was to be sold for a profit. In both cases I advised the artists that I would license the photos for a fee, but not give them away or permit derivatives for free. Neither were happy, and the book person got a little nasty about it - her work was valuable but the work or someone else had no value.

I haven't been involved in your scenario Ruth, but If someone expects to earn something from my work, I expect to be compensated.

reflectionsbyruth

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:47 am

Thanks Dang and Doug.

as for derivative works being made of my photographs?, the last thing I want to see is derivatives of my work for sale on the internet.
Especially when I receive no compensation or recognition that I am the original artist.
I've had plenty of people wanting to use my work in some form or other to make a product that they can sell.
Some are legit and expect to pay me and others just wanted to use my photos to place on trays, plates or whatever and sell them giving not one penny to me. I work hard and spend time and money for even local travel to capture my scenes, so dont want them out there for others to sell.
I think if this man was a local art teacher and I met him in person, I would feel I had more control over what would happen with my work.
Being on the other side of the world, I feel like all that is lost.

dougj

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:12 am

I agree with everything you’ve said Ruth.

Perhaps I can add a little local flavor, as I’m an American living in Singapore. This is a relatively small country of about 4.5 million, recognized as having some of the highest levels of ethics, law enforcement & IP protection. Singapore ranked # 4 in Transparency International’s 2007 corruption index (a low number is good) out of 180 countries. In my experience the people here generally are very honest, and the government has an extremely low tolerance level to legal infractions of any type, by anyone. Citizens and residents have a lot to lose if they don’t adhere to the rules & regulations.

I don’t know the person that approached you, but a little checking indicates he seems to be a recognized local professional artist that teaches art - pretty much what you found out. I haven’t had any issues in my dealings with folks here; I just lay out the terms & conditions clearly as I’m sure you do. The overall compensation structure here is lower than the EU or the US, so prices for most non-imported items & services are commensurately lower.

I’m not trying to encourage business with this person, just help establish a comfort zone. Good luck whatever your decision is.

reflectionsbyruth

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:33 pm

Thanks Doug for taking the extra time to lend your views especially since you live in Signapore. Interesting to learn of different cultures business practices.
I will give it some more thought before I reply back to him :)

btw, I see PBase has a new feature that I can see you are now online :D

dang

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:10 pm

btw, I see PBase has a new feature that I can see you are now online

Ruth, I think it's been there for awhile but it can be disabled in your forum settings. There's also a link toward the bottom of forum pages (who's online), when clicked, tells you what area of Pbase the person is browsing. Nooutlet is busy adding new goodies, and pretty slick doing it, I might add. The forums running better than I recall in a long time.

dougj

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:31 pm

dang wrote:
btw, I see PBase has a new feature that I can see you are now online

... Nooutlet is busy adding new goodies, and pretty slick doing it, I might add. The forums running better than I recall in a long time.

He has been busy, this is the best the forums have ever been.

reflectionsbyruth

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:16 am

I've been busy so havent been in the forums much. In fact I havent been taking many pictures this Summer like I have4 in the past.

I just checked the "Whos online"

This is one I found???

Google [Bot] Reading topic in Show and Tell

dang

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:33 am

Hi Ruth,
It's controlled by your forum settings, and not within your profile (in case I wasn't clear). It's the "Settings" link under the blue Pbase Bar toward the top right of forum pages. Click, and the first page should have boxes to make your choice:
Hide my online status:
Changing this setting won’t become effective until your next visit to the board.

My understanding about the "bots" are they created an account for each one. Can't recall the specific reasons, but Nooutlet had mentioned it. He's also introduced some colorized options to our "friends & foes" settings to spruce things up a bit. He's also working on PicLens for galleries, and will be addressing problems with exif when possible.

dougj

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:57 am

Bots are basically bits of code that crawl across the internet looking for updates, new web pages, photos, etc. This is how Google and the other search engines receive updates. The ones from the search engine companies are usually considered harmless. As Tom commented, webmasters usually set up their sites so the search engine bots can browse the public areas and collect new or updated information. It's surprising how fast Google sometimes indexes new stuff, even from some forums.

reflectionsbyruth

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi Dang and Doug.
I knew about bots but didnt realize they would need accounts to search Pbase.
You are right, I can post something and sometimes less than 1 day I can find it via Google.
Its probably why lots of magazines, companies and perspective clients find me :D

And of course those who ask to use my photos for free lol.
I just got another request....

(I would like to use one of your images for a full color bronze plaque that I can mount on the front porch. Would it be possible to get your permission to use one of your photos?)

Should I charge her the small fee I charge for web usage? and ask that my signature stay on the picture?

I'll go check out my forum settings and see what I can change... thanks again :wink:

madlights

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:04 pm

I don't mean to sound hard nosed...and I have let people use my photos for paintings that weren't to be sold. But when I wanted ideas for paintings...I went out and bought a camera and a bunch of film...not only for ideas but if you are a painter and need slides for juried shows, a camera is indispensable (and learning how to take your own slides saves much money). It's how I got interested in Photography. Think any painter/illustrator etc. who works in a realist style(or even not) should learn how to take photos. Go around an art fair/show and take detailed pics of someones paintings and see the scowls on the artist's faces :wink: In fact I've seen artists step right in front of someone with a camera. And yet it's OK for them, as professional artists, to paint from someone else's photograph? Obviously not a two way street there. Also I truly believe a painting should come from someplace or something you've felt or seen yourself, so using someone else's photo/image, at least to me isn't the best thing... Yeah it's nice to be able to paint from nature without a photo (hopefully from the painters own camera) for some guidance , but requires a lot of mosquito repellent in the summer and very thick gloves in the winter :D ...if someone is selling something derivative of your work, you oughtta get paid. It is strange that he asked you to send him the files.I too am amazed at how fast Google indexes stuff...it really is incredible sometimes.

reflectionsbyruth

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:05 pm

I agree with your comment
In fact I've seen artists step right in front of someone with a camera. And yet it's OK for them, as professional artists, to paint from someone else's photograph?

I've stepped in front of a couple of them. Although one was a kid around 12-14 and I truely think he didn't realize he shouldnt be taking it since I was standing just a foot from him when he did it. He was quite stunned when I told him he shouldn't be taking pictures of my pictures.. :D

Next

Board index Photography Artistic Questions request to paint by Low Tho Seng ?