Board index Photography Artistic Questions I'm in a slump.......

Artistic Questions

I'm in a slump.......

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
genghis45

Re: I'm in a slump.......

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:50 pm

gpaai wrote:and as of lately have had no sense of creativity. This has made me all but loose an desire to even pick up my camera.

I have developed a real pi**y attitude towards the craft. For example, I have a pair of red tail hawks nesting less than a block away from my house, and all I can think is, "Gee, another bird picture!"

How do I redevelop the love and passion? Oh I know some will say just force yourself to go out and shoot, but I think there is something much deeper going on here.

Any thoughts?

Gary

Try street photography using a wide angle lens. Photographing strangers on the street with the confrontational aspects inherent with this type of close range shooting---guarantees that it will never get boring. It's always a challenge. It is stimlating.

moffetb

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:47 am

While lightroom does have some editing capabilities (color adjust, exposure, sharpening), I don't think that is it's major function. Rather, I use it as a cataloging and review system. I can look at multiple photographs together as if they were on a light table, and grade each one so that I can cull out the bad ones. (Which I have yet to do...) I use it as a filing system that happens to do some darkroom work. For the serious darkroom work I use photoshop.

Brian

sean_mcr

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:17 pm

moffetb wrote:While lightroom does have some editing capabilities (color adjust, exposure, sharpening), I don't think that is it's major function. Rather, I use it as a cataloging and review system. I can look at multiple photographs together as if they were on a light table, and grade each one so that I can cull out the bad ones. (Which I have yet to do...) I use it as a filing system that happens to do some darkroom work. For the serious darkroom work I use photoshop.

Brian

I thought much the same, Brian. That is until i got hold of http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/LR-V1.shtml
It's much more then it first appears

But PS LR or any other kind of softwear will not get to the route of your problem.
What uses having a great depth of field, if there is not an adequate depth of feeling? -

W. Eugene Smith

moffetb

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:29 pm

sean_mcr wrote:
moffetb wrote:But PS LR or any other kind of softwear will not get to the route of your problem.

I'm curious what you think is the root of my problem? :-)

sean_mcr

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:14 pm

moffetb wrote:
sean_mcr wrote:
moffetb wrote:But PS LR or any other kind of softwear will not get to the route of your problem.

I'm curious what you think is the root of my problem? :-)

Oh, I'm Sorry. That part was meant for our friend in the slump. :wink:

To him i'd say (and of course it's only my to pence)

It's your intention that defines your photography. No intent, no longevity, dissolution followed by apathy, and a sure sign of apathy is when you don't know what's wrong. Another thing with not knowing whats wrong is that it is normally a sign that that person has not come to know who they are as a photographer or have lost sight of the photographer they are or wanted to be.

Like love really, it will die a slow death without communication. Give yourself some time alone with photography and communicate, show your intent, she'll give you everything in return

Good look with it

Sean
What uses having a great depth of field, if there is not an adequate depth of feeling? -

W. Eugene Smith

coastalva

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:59 am

depression sux Gary . . .literally. It sux the life right out of you. And it is not something you can just "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" and get over it.
WHen you have lost interest in what used to be your passion, it might be time to seek some help.

fayewhite

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:15 am

Hi pete,

just now found this thread.... I read something in a book once about getting out of a slump and it has worked for me at times when I've felt uninspired. Pick a spot - in your yard for example, throw a ball and go to where it lands - stand in that spot and shoot at least 20 photos (the original author said to shoot an entire roll of film... ;) ). For myself, I try to remember the quote from Gary Winogrand: "Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed."

:)

Faye

Previous

Board index Photography Artistic Questions I'm in a slump.......