Board index Photography Artistic Questions Night sky photography

Artistic Questions

Night sky photography

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
astrobug

Night sky photography

Post Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:45 pm

I am new to the digital field. I have a Canon Sureshot S3 IS camera and am interested in taking pictures of the night sky, i.e. starfields. constellations, etc. Is this possible with this camera?[/list]

kerrym

Post Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:53 am

How long can you have the shutter open for?
Kerry Mitchell NZ
http://www.pbase.com/kerrym

simplephotography

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:23 pm

Not really I'm afraid. You will have more noise than stars, and the zoom length is not by far long enough. Taking photos of constellations requires you put money on the table for top lenses.

soenda

Re: Night sky photography

Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:43 am

astrobug wrote:I am new to the digital field. I have a Canon Sureshot S3 IS camera and am interested in taking pictures of the night sky, i.e. starfields. constellations, etc. Is this possible with this camera?[/list]

I don't think that you have to give up on stars and constellations completely, although I'm not familiar with your camera. My little Panasonic FZ7 enabled me to take this photo with a 15 second exposure. I should mention that it was taken with the bright, full moon over my shoulder at about 2 am. It's a shot of the eastern sky and despite the clouds, you can make out a tiny constellation on the upper right (Delphinus, the Dolphin perhaps?).

If you had a moonless, cloudless sky, a tripod, and the Canon offers you a time delayed shutter, you should be able to get some prominent constellations. I have options for 15, 30 and 60 second exposures, although the star shift does become evident as the exposure lengthens. Also, I'm in the light polluted Chicago metropolitan area. If you can get to an area without city-glow, your results could be even better.

Here's the shot. I have not done a lot to edit out the noise, since it was the stars themselves I was after.

qxxy

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:08 am

it's difficult to take the picture of the night sky, at least i think that.
time control is hardy to control.
hehe~~
more hard more improve!

bruce46

Post Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:59 am

astrobug wrote:I am new to the digital field. I have a Canon Sureshot S3 IS camera and am interested in taking pictures of the night sky, i.e. starfields. constellations, etc. Is this possible with this camera?[/list]

I believe the best thing to do is try it and see what the results will be.

That's the only alternative in order to know if it is possible aside from asking for some advice.

impalass

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:39 am

Long N.R. is a must for long exposure images......

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Night sky photography