Board index Photography Artistic Questions Exposure

Artistic Questions

Exposure

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
bruce46

Exposure

Post Tue May 29, 2007 3:26 am

This is a newbie question. It seemed that I'm having problem finding the correct exposure for every shot in any particular condition. I heard about the "Sunny 16 Rule" but problems occur when I'm under a tree or shadow that I have difficulty setting the correct exposure. I know there are tutorials about this but I would also like to hear your inputs. Thanks in advance.

ghsmith178613

Post Wed May 30, 2007 11:35 pm

the exposure rule is for the subject. it doesn't care if you are under a tree.:lol:

here is one google result. there are dozens of others.

consider taking a note pad and pencil along on your next adventure. draw four columns on the page. you could lable them -
light/scene condition - leave some room to describe the light on the subject.
aperture - what you believe the aperture setting should be and shot at
shutter - what you believe the shutter speed should be and shot at
result - too dark, too light, just right.

analize your results without doing any corrections. don't even think about judging this on the tiny little screen on the camera. the trick is to record the shadow details and highlight seperation.

good luck, this concept confounds a lot of people.
Forty years of photography.
Fifteen years of training young professional photographers.

bruce46

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:07 am

Thanks for your input. Those points are all well taken. In fact, I have written them down so I can study it further. The link by the way is very nice. By the way, I'm not using a digital camera. What I have is film, Canon EOS Rebel T2. Thanks once again.

steveprice

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:30 pm

Without knowing what metering method you are using it is difficult to advise but here are some rules of thumb you might try with film:

1) if the subject is predominantly dark, reduce exposure
2) if the subject is predominantly light, increase exposure
3) take a reading from a grey subject e.g. a paving stone, that is in the same light as your subject
4) if shooting b/w take a spot reading from the darkest shadow area where you still want some detail and then close down two or even three stops (see Ansel Adams' zone system)
5) if shooting transparencies expose for the highlight
6) buy an incident light meter (these read the light falling onto the subject rather than the light reflected from the subject and therefore avoid subject luminance), they are not expensive
7) get a digital camera and go by the lcd - since going digital 2 years ago I have amassed a portfolio of successful images I like which is bigger than the previous 33 years shooting film! And it cost a good deal less too.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Steve Price

bruce46

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:09 am

Items nos. 1 and 2 looks very interesting to me. I sure would take that into serious consideration as I gradually take all your advice in. As for going digital, I think I can't afford it for now. I just have to make do with my film camera even if that means the learning process would be slow. Thanks.

dang

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:48 pm

Steve wrote:
6) buy an incident light meter (these read the light falling onto the subject rather than the light reflected from the subject and therefore avoid subject luminance), they are not expensive

Great bit of advice!

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Exposure