Board index Photography Artistic Questions Processing Raw Images

Artistic Questions

Processing Raw Images

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
artisticmindz

Processing Raw Images

Post Thu May 24, 2007 10:18 am

I have a Canon 30D. I process large quantities of photo's at a time, so photoshop isn't an option. So I use Zoom Browser, and/or Digital Professional. Zoom browser seems to give me better results.

But the RAW image look so much better than the processes images.

I was wondering if there is any other program that I could use to process large amount of photo's, and that would give me better results.

Any feedback would be apprieciated.

Thanks,
Anthony

djwixx

Post Thu May 24, 2007 12:32 pm

Thumbsplus has a batch process that allows you to set numerous options, then process any number of pictures using those options. You'll need the digicam plugin for RAW. See http://www.cerious.com

I would question whether you are getting the best from RAW by simply converting it to another format using standard options. To me it seems you are adding several steps that you don't need or are not making the most of RAW. Have you tried the custom settings on the camera so the JPG result is closer to what you want?

neovolatile

RAW Shooter Essentials

Post Thu May 24, 2007 11:24 pm

It is free and the 6.0 converts Canon 30D RAW to JPG, Tiff and whatever else you want. It allows you to "develop" the shot, to copy the settings and paste them onto a bunch of other pics and then batch develop them. I like it. Been using it since I started with the Canon 300D, then 350XT, and now the 30D.

http://www.download.com/RawShooter-Esse ... 18796.html

Give it a try. If it does not do it for you, go back to the disk in your box.

Regards,
Ellsworth Weaver
Ars Neovolatile

artisticmindz

Thanks Guys

Post Fri May 25, 2007 7:24 am

I'll try the free one first.

-My Momma did'nt raise no fool- 8)

If it's not what I am looking for, I'll look in to buying the other.

-Pops always said "Ain't noth'in in this world Free boy!"- :shock:

We'll see which one was right.

Thanks again.

Aloha

Ps. I downloaded the free one. When I figure it out, I'll let you know how it works.

ghsmith178613

Re: Processing Raw Images

Post Fri May 25, 2007 10:13 am

artisticmindz wrote:I have a Canon 30D. I process large quantities of photo's at a time, so photoshop isn't an option.

i wonder which version of photoshop you are using? i mean, if you have cs2/3.. the photoshop raw processor will march through piles of images. i've adjusted 15-20 in raw in one selection. several of my associates swear by it. one of them processes weddings (400+ frames) in an hour. so i wonder why photoshop "isn't an option."
artisticmindz wrote:So I use Zoom Browser, and/or Digital Professional. Zoom browser seems to give me better results.

those apps that came with your camera are really good for entry level. digital photo pro will convert to jpg under the batch process button on the right hand side of the bar. it will also convert to other, non destructive formats. the canon utility will allow you to do many things. you will have to learn how to use it.
artisticmindz wrote:But the RAW image look so much better than the processes images.

yes, the raw images will look better. they are 16 bits per channel. if you can afford to throw away half of your image info from the get-go, then convert them to jpeg. if you can't handle them any other way, convert them to tiff. at least you can have the 16 bit image info to work with.
artisticmindz wrote:I was wondering if there is any other program that I could use to process large amount of photo's, and that would give me better results.

Any feedback would be apprieciated.

Thanks,
Anthony

and yes, there are many programs that will convert to jpeg and batch process. there should be. a couple of trips through google will get you a bunch of choices. regardless of what you decide to do, you will have to learn how to use it.
Forty years of photography.
Fifteen years of training young professional photographers.

madlights

Post Sat May 26, 2007 12:10 am

Hi Anthony
I don't know about Photoshop 7 but anything from CS on up with do batch raw as ghsmith says. I looked for a tutorial I have on how to set up automatic actions for processing and couldn't find the link...but there are some excellent instructionals if you do a search. I was using Canon's DPP until I saw the instructional on how to use CS to do the same. Canons works pretty nicely, but if you have Photoshop it does give you more flexibility in editing..The tutorial I saw actually taught how to output automatically in multiple file types all at the same time...Tiff and net ready JPG's it was slick. I prefer to work on one at a time....but for people who need high outputs of multiple file types it was really cool. If and when I find the link I'll post it. If you are using DPP are you applying the recipes that you can set up? You can even set it up to do filtered B+W by first sliding the saturation slider in the RAW section all the way down and then going to the next section and monkeying with the sliders. It is more versatile than first I thought...also the latest version has a noise reduction section if you haven't updated it yet from Canons site.

artisticmindz

Available updates

Post Sat May 26, 2007 7:17 am

These are the available updates from canon.

My zoombrowser does'nt have any numbers like"3.0"

So how do I know which to update with?

Select a driver or software from the list below.

Drivers
PTP TWAIN Driver 1.2.0 for Windows 98 SE/Windows 2000

PTP WIA Driver 1.2.0 for Windows Me

Software
EOS Utility 2.0a Updater for Windows
2007-05

Digital Photo Professional 3.0.1 Updater for Windows
2007-05

Digital Photo Professional 3.0.1 Updater for Mac OS X
2007-05

Canon RAW Codec 1.0 for Windows Vista
2007-03

ZoomBrowser EX 5.8b Updater for Windows
2007-03

ImageBrowser 5.8b Updater for Mac OS X
2007-03

EOS Utility 2.0 Updater for Mac OS X
2007-03

PhotoStitch 3.1.19 Updater for Windows
2007-02

EOS Utility 1.1.1 Updater for Mac OS X
2006-11

ZoomBrowser EX 5.7.0 Updater for Windows
2006-09

ImageBrowser 5.7.2 Updater for Mac OS X
2006-09

Digital Photo Professional 2.2.0 Updater for Mac OS X
2006-09

WFT-E1A Utility 2.0 for Windows XP / Windows 2000 
2006-08

WFT-E1A Utility 2.0 for Mac OS X 
2006-08

jfsthlmn

Post Sun May 27, 2007 5:25 pm

Two words-----Capture One

artisticmindz

More like

Post Mon May 28, 2007 6:17 am

Two words -Capture One

and 5 C notes............$500.00 for Capture One Pro.

I don't mind paying for a Good RAW program. Just not at the moment.
And I'd have to shop around.

Does anyone know the top of the line program for processing RAW images?

djwixx

Post Tue May 29, 2007 8:06 am

Photoshop.......................................

ernst

Post Tue May 29, 2007 7:09 pm

As others have mentioned already, Photoshop with Adobe Camera Raw does the job. Just make sure you update ACR to the latest version (3.7 for CS2). You can open multiple images from Bridge without opening Photoshop (Ctrl-R in Windows, Apple-R for Mac)...

ahunt

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:50 pm

I've recently discovered the joys of Adobe Lightroom. Not the cheapest, but fantastic, especially if you're processing a load of pictures at a time. I used to shoot RAW + JPEG and only process RAW when the JPEG wasn't good enough. Now there's no need - RAW processing is such a cinch.

I'd recommend Martin Evening's book on Lightroom too.

cmit

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:43 am

You might like to try Bibble Lite ($69.95) or Pro ($129.95) - not as pretty as Lightroom but much cheaper, more functionality and very fast batch conversion/processing of Raw images.

I personally use Bibble Lite. I also have CS2 but Bibble is much easier for Raw conversion.

http://www.bibblelabs.com/

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Processing Raw Images