Board index Photography Artistic Questions copy right problums

Artistic Questions

copy right problums

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
shaaz9

copy right problums

Post Mon May 21, 2007 1:14 am

i want to know about some copy right of the photographs i took last year

the problum is this that she didnt sign the model release form, now i want to make some paintings from my photographs. but i dont know that i have copy right on thoise pictures or not. although i was told by some friends that photographer has the original right of photos.

but i have some doubt that may be after making painting of that model it will be trouble for me.

what should i do.

sheila

Post Mon May 21, 2007 1:50 am

You are confusing copyright with the right to sell images of a person. The photographer retains copyright of anything he or she takes (unless the copyright is sold to another person but that is not the question here).

You only need a model release if the image is going to be sold commercially for advertising purposes (ie advertising a product). There are also exceptions to this. Do a Google of photographers rights and model releases for photographers. You will get a lot of info this way. You should check the copyright law in your country - do a Google - as the law changes from country to country.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

Board index Photography Artistic Questions copy right problums