Board index Photography Artistic Questions Photo shoots, Portraiture

Artistic Questions

Photo shoots, Portraiture

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
michaelachan

Photo shoots, Portraiture

Post Fri May 04, 2007 4:53 pm

How are you when it comes to doing a photo shoot?

Down the line, I am hoping to become a fashion photographer, but im quite shy when it comes to meeting new people i don't feel comfortable about telling somebody how to pose or 'be'.

Are you shy? Do you find it easy to do a photoshoot?

gilp

Post Sat May 05, 2007 6:07 pm

If I can offer a bit of advice.... I work full time in the cosmetics/haircare photo biz and I can tell you...if you are a shy person... you better be super talented and land a great agent...or change fields.

fashion, editorial and esthetic photography is 90% about networking. I know so many photgraphers that are far more talented than I am and yet they go no where...either because they are shy to self promote, or because they do not want to demean themsevles to that level.... I had both issues....and I would have become another welfare camera owner if not of having singned on with a good agent.... it's extremely expensive...but worth every dollar.

Best of luck

sean_mcr

Post Sun May 06, 2007 10:42 am

Gilp has pretty much said it all about the business side.

Knowing what you're talking about and having the expertise to express it will compensate for your shyness. Many artists are shy, Robert Frank one of the giants of photography gave few interviews, he was extremely shy and quite hot headed. Hand him a camera and he could reach right in and pull your soul out, but he'd not look you in the eye during a conversation

Love of your subject is important. If you have no care about what you're doing beyond finance you're hearts not going to be in it.

One of the finest fashion photographers of the last 30 years was the Late Bob Clark. Very shy & very troubled. He took his life last year

http://www.bobcarlosclarke.com/portfolio.htm

A great loss to photography, he really shown that fashion photography can be more then just selling a product which is a problem i've often had with fashion photography

Study the the subject you love. Learn about its history, delve right in an emerse yourself. I think you're confidence will grow as your knowledge grows, when you know what makes a good photograph you wont have much trouble directing. They'll place their faith in somebody that knows what they are talking about

This will be of some use to you
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/colum ... 5-18.shtml

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/colum ... 8-04.shtml

michaelachan

Post Sun May 06, 2007 3:17 pm

Thank you very much for your responses

as I have a great love for photography, and of that for fashion and arts, I know that it's what I want to do. It's a shame that status's are more often ascribed rather than achieved in this day and age, but I guess I'll just have to try my hardest.

For the reason I am writing this, is because Im still young and I can still change my ways. I have no difficulty talking to people I know, as I tend to not shut up haha But it's the point on gaining confidence. At the moment I am waiting for my 50mm 1.4 to come through the post and I have about 8-9 models which I haven't really met face to face ready to collaborate in a shoot with me. But Im anxious because I've only ever modelled friends and I don't know whether I should be telling them how to pose, or how I am supposed to build a foundation of communication before we begin.. :/

sean_mcr

Post Sun May 06, 2007 3:51 pm

star_fusion88 wrote:I have about 8-9 models which I haven't really met face to face ready to collaborate in a shoot with me. But Im anxious because I've only ever modelled friends and I don't know whether I should be telling them how to pose, or how I am supposed to build a foundation of communication before we begin.. :/

This part of the article i gave link to should help

"MJ: So an inexperienced photographer will do better with an experienced model, and an inexperienced model will do better with an experienced photographer.

"BB: Let's put attitudes and egos aside for a moment and take a good look at the common practice among net-oriented photographers and models called TFP or test shoots. A model may want to review some shots with a new hairstyle, new approach to make-up, or a new look (or style) altogether. Photographs taken to this end would be considered tests. More often we hear of photographers seeking models for testing. In the case of a photographer, he may have new equipment, a new type of film stock, or want to try out some concepts or ideas. The resulting photographs would be test shots. If a photographer and model can hit each other at the right time, each can benefit by accomplishing their tests with the help of the other. This form of barter is sound business — each party gets something they need without having to pay more than they need to. So far, so good!"

It would be good for you to get some experienced models, you offer them free shots for their portfolio, they offer you their experience in posing ect.

Hopefully you'll both gain

monokrom

Post Mon May 07, 2007 11:10 am

You allways have to be very well prepared when you meet your models. Make sure what kind of pictures you want to make before you start (there is allways room for improvising if you feel comfortable in the situation).

You might want to bring a few prints of some special poses you want them to do, and maybe show them to your model, saying "try a litlle more like this". Take your time, be relaxed and in control of the situation and make the model feel comfortable and respected, then you will get along just fine. After a few time you'll get used to the situation of meeting new people.

Good luck!

benjikan

Re: Photo shoots, Portraiture

Post Wed May 30, 2007 10:53 pm

star_fusion88 wrote:How are you when it comes to doing a photo shoot?

Down the line, I am hoping to become a fashion photographer, but im quite shy when it comes to meeting new people i don't feel comfortable about telling somebody how to pose or 'be'.

Are you shy? Do you find it easy to do a photoshoot?

Hello;

I have been in this crazy "Biz" since 1980...If you do not mind reading this short article I wrote about the "Biz" it may give you some tid bits of insight and may save you some precious time...

Best Wishes
Benjamin Kanarek
http://www.180mag.ca/0704/kanarek/kanarek.html

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Photo shoots, Portraiture