Board index Photography Artistic Questions Newbie needs tips on B+W portraits of mother and daughter

Artistic Questions

Newbie needs tips on B+W portraits of mother and daughter

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
rvaccha

Newbie needs tips on B+W portraits of mother and daughter

Post Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:42 pm

Hi,

I am a beginner in photography, and taking an to photography class at my University in Philadelphia.

I shoot using 35mm B+W film.

I have been approached by a mother and her daughter to take some portraits of them, and was looking for suggestions on settings and any tips that you may have, e.g. film, location, lighting.

The mother is in her late 20s, the daughter is 8.

I can either use the studio on campus, which has basic lighting, e.g. clamp lights, few backgrounds, or use outdoor light as the weather is nice for the next 1-2 days.

Any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks, RJ

ghsmith178613

Re: Newbie needs tips on B+W portraits of mother and daughte

Post Fri May 04, 2007 2:56 am

rvaccha wrote:Hi,

I am a beginner in photography, and taking an to photography class at my University in Philadelphia.

I shoot using 35mm B+W film.

I have been approached by a mother and her daughter to take some portraits of them, and was looking for suggestions on settings and any tips that you may have, e.g. film, location, lighting.

The mother is in her late 20s, the daughter is 8.

I can either use the studio on campus, which has basic lighting, e.g. clamp lights, few backgrounds, or use outdoor light as the weather is nice for the next 1-2 days.

Any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks, RJ

what did your professor tell you? really... anything about the first rule of photography? about "simplicity"?
you are the director and the producer.
put thought and planning in.
scout the location in advance.
take another student along as an assistant to hold a white card or other reflector.
keep it tight. this is about mother and daughter.
shallow depth of field (wide open aperture) don't make the background the subject.
if you get time after the outdoor session, take them in the studio.

good luck.
Forty years of photography.
Fifteen years of training young professional photographers.

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Newbie needs tips on B+W portraits of mother and daughter