Board index Photography Artistic Questions Canon or Nikon?

Artistic Questions

Canon or Nikon?

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
sbowers

Just my $0.02 worth

Post Wed May 23, 2007 3:42 pm

Personally, my list of cameras has been (thankfully) a short one. The expense of each "upgrade" has been a hard pill to swallow, but I think my decision and thought process was well researched.

My first camera was the Olympus OM-10. A very nice manual SLR which had a bit of automation built-in. Mine was purchased second-hand from a shop in Misawa, Japan and (regretably) had a pretty nasty metering problem wherein no matter the shutter speed, the camera would act as though set to a shutter speed of several seconds.

This lasted until my pizza job (I was in high school) allowed me to get one of the newly released Canon Rebel kits. I shot photos throughout northern Japan, and later (when I was in the military) Germany, Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain. When that camera started showing its age (prism damage, etc) I had to upgrade again.

While researching options, I looked at the offerings from Nikon. I wanted to get a digital SLR but the costs of what I wanted were too far out of reach. I didn't want to get a "consumer" grade DSLR - I wanted rugged and weather resistant. I had learned that the environment was -hard- on a camera. The D200 was the rock I was after - its big brother, the D2X, was much too costly. Unfortunately, the price of the D200 was, itself, out of range. That brought in the N80. Film based, yes, but rugged (to a point) and it banned what I called the "amateur modes" (you know, the little icons of shooting modes...) It was the "pro" camera I could afford.

When my situation changed and I could get the D200, I made my leap into digital and bought my "baby". It has all the features that I was looking for including the rugged construction and the "can't-live-without" vertical grip w/ shutter release.

I do all flavors of photography (not necessarily good) - landscapes, portraits, street, candids, photojournalism, etc. Because of this I stocked a range of Nikkors from a 24mm f/2.8, a 50mm f/1.8, and a 70-300 f/4.0-5.6. My choice between Canon and Nikon was a practical one - I had Nikon glass and could ill-afford the transition to Canon.

My Canon Rebel allowed me to take great photos. Similarly, the N80 helped me produce some fine slides. The D200 has been a learning environment for me. I know nothing at all about the digital darkroom. But I remember two things that brought me to this point:

1) Shooting roll after roll of Sensia and not having any keepers is a waste of money. Digital removes this true thorn in my creativity. My D200's monitor can tell me if my shot sucked or not.
2) Processing my own "film" and printing my "good ones" saves me money. I need only send big prints out since my Canon (true enough) printer can output 8x10.

Now, having all said that, let's talk about calibration...

Cheers,
Sean

mahowel

Post Thu May 24, 2007 3:34 am

Canon or what? Everyone knows that you shoot with a Canon.... :lol:

benjikan

Pentax, Canon, Nikon, 'Blad, Bronica, Fuji etc

Post Wed May 30, 2007 11:03 pm

mahowel wrote:Canon or what? Everyone knows that you shoot with a Canon.... :lol:

I have shot with them all and more..Right now it so happens to be a brand that I started with in Architectural School. It was the K1000...and today it is the same less two zero's... :)

arrian_b

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:45 pm

canon for digital
nikon for film

cmit

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:04 am

Yawwwwn!! Wake me up when it's all over - looks like I'm in for a long sleep...

Also, what is artistic about ths subject?

gilp

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:35 am

cmit wrote:Yawwwwn!! Wake me up when it's all over - looks like I'm in for a long sleep...

it's an art in the sense that the topic is sooo stupid and boraing that you have to be an artist to keep it alive and write long winded statements that really mean very little aside from basically either repeating what was alread said at nauseam or just trying to find a descreet way to say your stuff is better...either way, I believe that it's just way to much reading with no real point...and speaking of points....

benjikan

Yes..

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:22 pm

cmit wrote:Yawwwwn!! Wake me up when it's all over - looks like I'm in for a long sleep...

I hope you're in for a very long sleep as well. Being that you haven't contributed to this site with your images nor with your insight. Perhaps a Prozac, Bottle of Beer and The TV would keep you interested... :evil:

benjikan

Mr. Latex

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:28 pm

gilp wrote:

it's an art in the sense that the topic is sooo stupid and boraing that you have to be an artist to keep it alive and write long winded statements that really mean very little aside from basically either repeating what was alread said at nauseam or just trying to find a descreet way to say your stuff is better...either way, I believe that it's just way to much reading with no real point...and speaking of points....

You know something Mr.Latex..That "IS" the Straw that Broke the Camels Back"...Let me see..Bet your wanting "Elle Quebec", "Flare", "Chatelaine" and "Fashion" magazines in Canada. That about covers most of what the guys there aspire for..Well, "It ain't gonna happen" believe me, "You just really pissed me off...!!! You have crossed the line buddy.

Trust Me..

You Have.

cmit

Re: Yes..

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:41 pm

benjikan wrote:

I hope you're in for a very long sleep as well. Being that you haven't contributed to this site with your images nor with your insight. Perhaps a Prozac, Bottle of Beer and The TV would keep you interested... :evil:

Dear Ben,

Don't do drugs, prefer wine, and TV really sends me to sleep....

By the way, I agree with you that it's the photographer not the camera - I just find these endless discussions so boring. If you own a Canon you think that it is the best, same for Nikon, Pentax etc etc. I own a Pentax K10D which is clearly vastly superior to everything in the known Universe, and then some...

See you over at PentaxForums

benjikan

Re: Yes..

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:37 pm

cmit wrote:
benjikan wrote:

Dear Ben,

Don't do drugs, prefer wine, and TV really sends me to sleep....

By the way, I agree with you that it's the photographer not the camera - I just find these endless discussions so boring. If you own a Canon you think that it is the best, same for Nikon, Pentax etc etc. I own a Pentax K10D which is clearly vastly superior to everything in the known Universe, and then some...

See you over at PentaxForums

Well that "does" take a load off... :lol:

Previous

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Canon or Nikon?