Board index Photography Artistic Questions Canon or Nikon?

Artistic Questions

Canon or Nikon?

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
benjikan

Canon or Nikon?

Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:27 am

Canon or Nikon. Which Camera is More "Pro?"

This was a Poll from another Forum. It was a Poll given by someone who in my opinion has been profoundly and inexorably brainwashed and as a result I felt compelled to leave the following message:

My Heading: Neither...All Of and Anything that Can...

This is a false premise...Most of the present day DSLR's can be used professionally. Whether it is Sony, Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Sigma, Leica or Samsung. Ten million pixels is more than enough o be published in all types of magazines as well as most poster formats. I have been published using the Canon 350D, just to prove to myself that it doesn't really matter. I once used a Canon G5 circa 2002-3 5megapixel camera with hot-shoe and RAW capability and was also published with it.

I am fed up with pixel peeping incompetents that spend most of their time scrutinizing the screen on the computer rather than enjoying the act of expression. If what you find joy in is the technical aspects of the anatomy of a camera, perhaps that may be the subject of your post. I can guarantee that if I gave you a 'Blad with a 39 mega pixel back it wouldn't improve on your capacity to express what you are expressing presently and until you understand the need to have "X-Zillion" Pixels, I suggest you spend more time perfecting your art. By doing so you may then ask yourself. Is the tool I am using limiting my capacity to express that which I need to express by being technically substandard? Is it therefore impeding my capacity to express myself? Give me a Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony, Leica, Olympus, Sigma or what ever and I will take images that will work because I know the support it will be utilized in.

It is the photographer and not the camera that captures the image. It is through those eyes that we can see a part of the "ID" and what is important to the artist. It is the capturing of that moment that makes the individual unique. The decision as to when one captures the moment is crucial to his/her expression and not with which camera it was taken with.

Benjamin Kanarek

rileypm

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:59 am

Just a point of curiosity, why didn't you post this tread in the same forum that seems to have gotten you all upset? If you did post it in the other forum, then why were you compelled to post it again in the Artistic Questions forum? Once again, it is only curiosity on my part.

benjikan

Similar Question Asked Elsewhere...

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:08 am

rileypm wrote:Just a point of curiosity, why didn't you post this tread in the same forum that seems to have gotten you all upset? If you did post it in the other forum, then why were you compelled to post it again in the Artistic Questions forum? Once again, it is only curiosity on my part.

Here is what I have to say in response to this query. Re-print:

My reason in posting here was done to highlight the importance of understanding the difference between the tool and the person using it. It isn't the paintbrush brand that makes the artist. Someone stated earlier that they "Know that". It seems that a majority of people do not. I can't tell you how often I have heard the term" This camera takes nice pictures." That is a major oxymoron. This issue is so endemic, that I have seen poor sales people get verbally attacked by customers complaining that "He/She" sold them a lemon. This happened recently at FNAC in Paris, and the Lemon was a camera that I could have taken in to a studio and been published with without a problem.
I shared this post with you, because I cannot stress enough the importance of understanding this notion.

It seems that we are stuck in a viscous circle of consumption and we are not being given the time to use our tools. In that it is being announced shortly after purchasing your tool that the next best thing is around the corner and unless you have it, you'll be a has been with outmoded and outdated material not worthy of keeping, let alone printing from.

Benjamin Kanarek

gilp

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:35 pm

what's a nikon?

peterb

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:08 pm

Canon has the most extensive
collection of high quality lenses to choose from
for those who care about such things. I guess any
camera that can mount those lenses would be an
excellent choice.

Of course I own neither Canon nor Nikon nor any DSLR
of any kind since the cost of admission is too high and
lack of portability would preclude my involvement in DSLR
cameras of any kind.

I agree that it is the photographer takes the picture...the camera
is simply the tool. Of course a better tool in the hands of a
craftsman can generally produce superior results than with an
inferior tool.

I do find it amusing when I get the "your camera sure takes
nice pictures" comment...as if it were the camera that saw the
compostion and picked the shot angle to maximize the quality
of the light or the elements within the frame.

I've gotten two pictures published...one taken with a Sony Mavica FD-97
published in a history magazine. That would be an ancient 2MP superzoom
camera from just after the turn of the last century.

Another, taken with a Sony DSC-F717, was one of 7 colorplates in a
travel guide.
I'm in negotiations to sell another image from the 717 for use in a textbook.

Would these images have been of better quality if taken with a "superior"
camera? Almost probably yes.

Would I have gotten the shots
with a bulky DSLR system? Almost certainly not.

madlights

Post Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:30 am

peterb wrote:Would these images have been of better quality if taken with a "superior"
camera? Almost probably yes.

Would I have gotten the shots
with a bulky DSLR system? Almost certainly not.

That's really a very good point. I almost sold my family into bondage in order to buy a DSLR system... Then I got so tired of carrying it around...so I got a digicam with a good lens (and the DSLR body is worth now about 1/4 of what I paid). If you aren't doing studio work it IS important to have your camera with to get the shot :) . I saw a guy taking shots downtown, he had a DSLR, he was standing in the street with a hood over his head and a big wooden tripod, a bag that must have wheighed 50 pounds at his feet. The sun was out...I imagine he was shooting at a pretty good shutter speed, and plenty of f-stop to get a good DOF. I'm not criticizing his technique, but he's going to get really tired of doing that. I think that it's really funny at exhibits and shows, when people start saying to photographers "what kind of camera do you use, it sure takes nice pictures" Sometimes I think the photographer would like to say "yeah I just set my camera on that automatic tripod, and it walks around and takes pictures by itself" and I do agree, once the equipment reaches a certain level, I don't think it matters much what you shoot with. Some just seems more dependable, has better support, or wider choices when it comes to lenses and accessories. There are some companies that offer very little in lower end, or even mid range (price) lenses. I certainly agree that it is the photographer...not the camera. Would most of us like to have the best stuff? probably...but there are work arounds for most limitations anyway.

bruce46

Post Sun May 13, 2007 3:46 am

I am new to photography and my equipment is a Canon film camera, EOS Rebel T2. I cannot say much as to the saying that it's the one who takes the shot that matters most than the equipment because I am still struggling with my shots. But so far, I like what I'd seen.

sean_mcr

Post Sun May 13, 2007 11:14 am

I hear what you say and i do agree with much of what you say. But Photography is an art as well as a craft. I think a problem that many new photographers face is thinking that you can buy your way in to creativity. As you know that comes from the heart. Lens work have a podcast entitled "vision of the heart" i think that sums up what photography means to me.
But...

Like a sculptor may choose the right chisel or a painter chooses a certain brush that best allows them to express their vision. A photographer may choose the right tool to allow them to fully express their's . Bresson shot almost exclusively with a 50mm summicron for 40 years. Leica custom coated the lens for him.

Diane Arbus turned her back on 35mm format cameras and went to 2 1/4-inch twin-lens reflex square format camera.

What we have there is two masters, two icons, that chose the tools that best allowed them to express their vision.

Trust me i know just what you're talking about

But there's many factors that lead to a great image and tools do play a part. As long as they're in the right hands of course

this article is about this very topic

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essay ... tors.shtml

Thanks for the debate, and as i said, i do know what you're getting at.

Take care, keep shooting

sean

gilp

Post Tue May 15, 2007 8:54 pm

substract all the NIKON vs CANON topics from the web and we could all use a 33.3 modem!

this has to be the most tired subject ever.

madlights

Post Tue May 15, 2007 10:01 pm

gilp wrote:substract all the NIKON vs CANON topics from the web and we could all use a 33.3 modem!

this has to be the most tired subject ever.

Yeah I think you could even add a few cameras and get it down to a 2400 baud. It's what fits a persons shooting style. ..what they're shooting...what it's for...I mean I've seen people shooting JUST family shots (and measuring sticks) with a 1ds series. I've seen real artists with 3 mp and Holgas on the web... It's all relevant like Einstein said....Even my opinion is or maybe irrelevant...LOL..but man I agree.

sheila

Post Wed May 16, 2007 12:31 am

Whenever someone comments on my work by saying "Gee, you must have a really good camera" I smile sweetly and say "And Michael Angelo had a really good set of paintbrushes!"

I think my signature quote from Erwitt says it all.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

blindpoet

blah vs blah blah

Post Thu May 17, 2007 9:55 am

I have just read so much good stuff in this discussion. Its really worth opening cans of worms.............you can never have enough perspectives and there is so much wisdom here.

Thinking is good

I feel released to be creative with what I have got, becoz I am the greatest living component in the process.

Thankyou for sharing your thoughts one and all

benjikan

Curiosity???Hmmm...

Post Thu May 17, 2007 12:39 pm

rileypm wrote:Just a point of curiosity, why didn't you post this tread in the same forum that seems to have gotten you all upset? If you did post it in the other forum, then why were you compelled to post it again in the Artistic Questions forum? Once again, it is only curiosity on my part.

Let's be honest...Curiosity? I don't think so. I would call that being coerced.

Ben

rileypm

Post Fri May 18, 2007 12:46 am

Ya sure, you are being coerced alright. I put a gun in your back didn't I?
Just answer the question or go away.

Next

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Canon or Nikon?