Board index Photography Artistic Questions Help! Gotta do a wedding...

Artistic Questions

Help! Gotta do a wedding...

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
ericvision

Help! Gotta do a wedding...

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:38 pm

Well, actually not a real wedding - is a renewal of vows but will basically be the same service. I've been volunteered to do the photography since the photographs from the real wedding (taken by the only local professional) were awful...

Problem is, as you'll see from my galleries, I never photograph people, and I don't have any way of practising similar scenes, so basically I'm bricking it!

Anyone know of any online resources for tips etc? ANYTHING that anyone can give me will be considered useful and rewarded in heaven :D

I have the following equipment available to me:
Canon 350D (Rebel XT)
Canon 50mm 1.8
Canon 100-400 L IS
Canon 17-40L
Sigma 105 2.8 Macro
Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash.
Cheapo tripod.
I may be able to borrow a 300D to save me changing lenses.

Also I'll be expected to be in some of the photos (Kilt and all!)

Stuff like how to make frilly dresses look nice without picking up skin blemishes and the like would be most handy.

Are there any lists of traditional family groups to photograph?

(I don't go to weddings at all much!)

jypsee

take your

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:30 pm

XT, borrow the 300D

take your 50, 17-40, and macro lens

make one of these
the link to how-to is here
http://super.nova.org/DPR/DIY01/

get the flash off the camera, use it with your XT and 17-40; set manual for 1/60s, f/4, ISO 400... practice on a human to see the results, but that should do it indoors pretty well.

put the 50 on the borrowed 300D and do low light with it wide open (or no wider than f/4) at no greater than ISO 200 if you can help it; it will look like a portrait length on that sensor FOV so you should be able to do the couple portrait with it. Keep the eyes in the same focal plane so they're in focus and back off as much as you can so your DOF is not so "iffy"
Have them stand against a door frame to keep them from "swaying" for the portrait if you don't use the tripod (I hardly ever do use one with people except for portraits close up).

do the wedding couple, the bride with attendants, the groom with attendants, the parents and bride/groom..... the whole wedding party, father-daughter, etc. Did you ask the couple what they want? Try to do some spontaneous photos and get the kids!! years from now the unrehearsed ones are the ones the couple will treasure; the formal stuff is for them to show people in the album and for the old folks :wink:

Finally, you'll get the blemishes off in post processing, so don't worry about it; make a test photo and look at your histogram for proper exposure (do you know what YOUR camera's histogram looks like when the scene is peoperly exposed??? they differ by scene and by camera and by your preference.... my 30D underexposes so I have a crappy looking histogram and need to eyeball the LCD to see if I will like it, OY!) Use fill flash to light the dresses is my best advice and keep the flash diffused/bounced and off the camera any way you can.

agroni

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:39 pm

Two months ago i did my first wedding photos. At the beginning i was quite scared that the photos in the end will turn to be not so good and everything might go to the trash can.

What i did is that i used a flash (a must!) and tilt it up. This gave me not direct lighting to the faces which i hate the flash from the front. The diffuse lighting from the ceiling gave a more dynamic effect and sculpted the faces with a more 3 dimensional light. But the equipment posted by Jypsee is quite cool and i think if you are able to build it, you are going to have amazing effects.
As for the theme of wedding i agree with jypsee that you should concentrate on spontaneous moments. Those are the most coolest and people will gladly look at them in the future. Take moments of kissing, cheering, drinking, singing and all the happy moments....the facial expression says is all which will make your result perfect!
Happy shooting :)

becky_stead

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:05 pm

This is a great topic. I too have the same problem. Im taking my moms friends wedding photos in the summer and have no idea where to start. My gear: Canon EOS350D
Standard 18-55 kit lense
Tamron 18-200
canon 430ex speedlight
Which lense would be best for the job? Should i invest in a prime? And what is the little flash invention above made out of it looks very cool!

Thanks

jdepould

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:15 pm

becky_stead wrote:This is a great topic. I too have the same problem. Im taking my moms friends wedding photos in the summer and have no idea where to start. My gear: Canon EOS350D
Standard 18-55 kit lense
Tamron 18-200
canon 430ex speedlight
Which lense would be best for the job? Should i invest in a prime? And what is the little flash invention above made out of it looks very cool!

Thanks

You could probably get by with the kit lens, but a 50mm prime should drastically improve quality.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

becky_stead

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:29 pm

Ok so ive found a canon 50mm prime on warehouse express.com £69
Canon EF50mm f1.8 ll
Any good? Theres some others, but they are too expensive
canon EF50mm f1.4 usm £223
canon EF50mm f1.2L usm £920!!
Not to be too dumb, but how come they are sooooo much more expensive?? I know the usm part adds to the price, but what else??
Thanks
Becky

jypsee

the 50 f/1.8

Post Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:42 am

is a very good value. The 50 f/1.4 has better color, IMO, but it's also more expensive. For the savings on the 50, you could buy a 20mm prime (I like the Canon f/2.8, but the Sigma f/1.8 is worth a look) or, my fave for a near "normal" focal length, the Canon EF 28 f/1.8.
The kit lens is really not a good choice without flash in low light.

Oh, and the 50 f/1.2 is a very bright/fast lens as if the 50 f/1.4 which makes the lens more expensive; in the case of the f/1.2 there is also the quality of the glass which makes the lens and the coatings on the glass.

Here's a representation of apertures (some, not all)
notice how much light comes through f/2 compared to f/4; that's why you want a wide aperture.... to have more light. f/1.4, 1/8 are bigger/wider than f/2....and so on

becky_stead

Post Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:01 am

Thanks for the info, but both the canon and the sigma 20mm are way out of my reach at £319 and £289 lol. So do you think the £69 Canon would be ok?
Thanks again

jypsee

I meant that

Post Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:14 am

you could buy the 50 f/1.8 PLUS a 20mm prime for the price of the 50 f/1.4. So, yes the 50 f/1.8 is OK...

becky_stead wrote:Thanks for the info, but both the canon and the sigma 20mm are way out of my reach at £319 and £289 lol. So do you think the £69 Canon would be ok?
Thanks again

becky_stead

Post Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:30 am

Thanks very much for your help. It really is appreciated. Im learning (slowly lol). I should have a little money next week and am getting a benbo tripod so if i have enough dough i will get one at the same time.
Thanks again
Becky

ericvision

Post Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:23 am

Jypsee!
Thanks fore your reply. I'm definitely going to try to make the diffuser thingy - it looks great!

Becky - the 50 1.8 is a great lens. I've used it for my only successful people-portraits which are few and far between. Its great for highlighting the subject and throwing the background out of focus. I dropped mine 2 days ago and I've been too scared to test it on the camera. I hope it isn't dead :oops:

When is the wedding you have to shoot? Any equipment hire shops round there?

clickaway

Post Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:12 pm

As its a renewal of vows, I assume the lady won't be in white, but if she is or something similar I would shoot in RAW mode so you can avoid the blown highlights, especially if he is in a dark suit.

I have never shot a wedding before, nor have shot in RAW, but I believe that would be the usual advice for 'white weddings'.

Ray

becky_stead

Post Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:53 pm

thecellartroll wrote:
Becky - the 50 1.8 is a great lens. I've used it for my only successful people-portraits which are few and far between. Its great for highlighting the subject and throwing the background out of focus. I dropped mine 2 days ago and I've been too scared to test it on the camera. I hope it isn't dead :oops:

When is the wedding you have to shoot? Any equipment hire shops round there?

Thanks im deffinately gonna get the lense if my cash comes through next week. As for hire shops no i cant think of any i think the only camera shops around my way is jessops and they are a bit lame.

k58456

Re: Help! Gotta do a wedding...

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:18 pm

I also have the Canon Rebel XT 350D and have shot several wedding with it.

I think your equipment is fine. Main consideration: When shooting each group, shoot at least 2 images. If someone blinks on one, they probably won't blink on the next. Be cognizent of blinkers though.

As far as taking out blemishes on the bride's face, well, that's the makeup artist's job; otherwise, you might have to rely on Photoshop for that. Try to stretch the frilly dress out so it creates a nice, fluffy shape around the bride and that'll be fine.

Be sure to capture each person (or couple) that walks down the aisle). Once up at the altar, vows & ring exchange, lighting of unity candle, drinking the wine and smashing the glass (in a Jewish service) are extremely important, as are signing of the Ketubah (the marriage license, the unromantic but legal part of the arrangement).

As far as groups:
Bride
Bride & groom
Bride & her family
Groom & his family
Bride & Bridesmaids
Groom & Groomsman
Immediate family
Entire Bridal Party
There are probably some other groups that I'm missing here.

There are certain types of shots that I find cheesy but that some couples like, such as:

Groom kneeling on one knee proposing to his bride
Groom picking up the bride, bride holding bouquet outstretched
Etc.

When you get to the reception, capture each individual (or couple) that walks in during introductions. First dance, bride/father, groom/mother dances, toast(s), cake cutting, tossing bouquet/garter, removing putting garter on leg, all these are important. Hoisting couple up on chairs during Horah group dance in Jewish weddings is an important shot. Shoot couples during slow dances.

That should give you a pretty good idea.

becky_stead

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:24 pm

Wow thanks very much thats all really helpful. Im going to print it out and have it with me on the day that way i wont forget anything when the old nerves kick in lol. Thanks again. Oh and i took everyones advice and ordered the 50mm and guess what....its out of stock lol so i have to wait for it. Hope it comes before June!

Next

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Help! Gotta do a wedding...