Board index Photography Artistic Questions copyright & plagiarism

Artistic Questions

copyright & plagiarism

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
sean_mcr

copyright & plagiarism

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:19 pm

I've taken the below from Mike Johnstons Blog http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/

It's really worth reading and aside from the actual question of copyright and plagiarism. There is another. What do we really learn by making exact copies of photographs that have impressed us? The most important aspect of this art lies in expression. That is where creation stems from;

Naturally any artist is inspired by those that came before them. Artists have picked up guitars, pens, brushes and cameras because they have been moved by the artist. But we can only progress by expressing our own thoughts and feelings on the world.

Anyway, an interesting read.

Borrowing Copyrights

by Carolyn E. Wright, Esq.

David Segal, a writer for the Style section of The Washington Post, recently posted an article/slide show on Slate that was linked here on T.O.P. asking whether photographers can be plagiarists. Legally, the answer is no.

According to the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, to "plagiarize" means:

“to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own use (another's production) without crediting the source;â€

jellophoto

Post Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:54 pm

Interesting post Sean,

I think we all consciously and sub-consciously influenced by the work of other photographers no matter how much some may deny it.

I too have photographed the famous tunnel view scene, nowhere near as good as Adams' image but not bad for a busy day during an August holiday surrounded by many others. Does this admission make me guilty as charged! I would suggest not. Adams has undoubtedly influenced my photography and yes I would like to go back and photograph Yosemite in winter or spring/autumn. Does this mean that I cannot progress. I would suggest that this trip made me think about my own landscapes, especially composition and lighting

Also I think that the ideas caught in the mind at such times can then be applied in a different setting mixed with other ideas and influences at a later date. This is how an undividual style develops.

From my observations music writers similarly tend to absorb the influences of what they listen to especially when young and whilst it comes out in their work it does not stop it being original because the influences are many and often varied.

Regards John

sean_mcr

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:46 am

Hi John

With out doubt we should be inspired by art and the world around us. We can use that inspiartion to express our own thoughts and feelings on the world rather then a reproduction.

I agree with mike Johnston's comment below

"I also think photographers like clichés because, at an early stage of our development, it's a way of demonstrating competence and accomplishment"

It's in some ways like covering a great track, it shows us we can play or sing. But it's only when an artist starts writing their own music and lyrics that true expression and progression begins.

Keep shooting

Sean

photoattorney

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:09 am

Glad you enjoyed my article. It is an important subject for artists/photographers.

fyi - you need permission to copy in full an article just as you would to copy a photo. Both are copyrighted works! I give you permission for this reprint on this forum for this one time.

Protect your work! Register your photos with the U.S. Copyright Office!

Best,
Carolyn

dougj

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:26 pm

Carolyn, thanks for the informative article and allowing it to be posted here. Photography rights and copyright are issues that periodically arise, I hope you can periodically post suggestions and guidance.

photoattorney

Post Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:53 am

Will do!

Best,
Carolyn

Board index Photography Artistic Questions copyright & plagiarism