Board index Photography Artistic Questions First time - critique me!

Artistic Questions

First time - critique me!

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
madsox

First time - critique me!

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:23 pm

Hey, all - yet another "who the heck is that guy?" blowing his own horn here :wink:

Two public galleries up with just a few images so far, some from a recent vacation and a few miscellaneous pictures from around the garden, more to come as I get time.

For now, though, if you're so inclined, please stop by my corner here (in the signature) and take a look. Let me know what you think, all I ask it that you keep it polite and constructive! :)

Laters!
afm
Andrew Maddox, amateur since age 10ish
Still a film shooter, but now a digital printer
Nobody special, but take a look:
http://www.pbase.com/madsox

jdepould

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:12 pm

I think your equipment might be holding you back a bit.

Judging from the thumbnail I was expecting a stunning sunset photo, but the high ISO noise and flash from the P&S really killed it.

I thought the floral gallery was better, the lighting meant shooting at a lower ISO. I really think you'd produce some great images with an SLR though. I didn't see any of your film stuff though, perhaps there are already some great shots there?
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

madsox

equipment

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:42 pm

Yes, my digital equipment definitely put some limitations on me in all of that shooting. It was, after all, a P&S I was using (and one that's several years old, too).

My slides are all back now, and I'm working on scanning the better ones in and cleaning up those images as I get time. Hopefully those will be turn out a bit better, although the lighting was pretty tricky to deal with. It was brighter and higher contrast than I was ready for - next time, maybe something with more exposure latitude than Kodachrome.

And next time I'll have a decent DSLR also, so I can play with both media!

Thanks, more coming when I get a chance to upload...
Andrew Maddox, amateur since age 10ish
Still a film shooter, but now a digital printer
Nobody special, but take a look:
http://www.pbase.com/madsox

Board index Photography Artistic Questions First time - critique me!