Board index Photography Artistic Questions Permission to use photo 2nd try

Artistic Questions

Permission to use photo 2nd try

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
jameser_mi

Permission to use photo 2nd try

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:09 am

First post gave an error.... anyways.

I was asked for permission use of a photo I took. While I'm happy that I took a photo that some one wants to use. I'm a complete n00b to this area.

I beleive that it will be used for a Mayoral campagin website, In nashville . I don't have all the details as of yet. All I know is "willing to grant permission, and @ what terms?"

Obviously I want to maintain the copyrights to that photo. Should I kust leave it to credit and limited use only? Or should I try to charge for use only of the photo.

http://www.pbase.com/jameser_mi/image/72764319

Thank you for your help.

blachly

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:41 am

I used to be a political consultant so that is where the following expertise is comign from.

You could give full rights to them to use it whenever and for whatever they want. But the best way for you would be to allow them to use it on a restricted basis. In otherwords, in order to use the photo they have to agree to use it for the onetime use and identify where and when it is being published.

If they use it again, then they will have to come back to you and ask permission again.

If they want to use it throughout the campaign (and you are agreeable to that), then the contract should allow them the use throughout the campaign.

You might want to see the piece before you ask for credits. As it is a poltical campaign, the piece might be an attack ad.

Hope this helps!

Mike Blachly

jameser_mi

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:31 pm

Blachy-

Thanks for your reply.

I won't agree on anything till I see the piece. I don't want my work on an attack ad. That has come to mind.

If you where in my position, would you consider just keeping the copyrights to that photo, and just have your work credited? Or should I see if I can try to draw some type of payment for the photo. If so how much of a payment should I look for?

Don't get me wrong. I should be happy(and I am) I was approached about this. But if this is to help someone on their campaign career. I think I should at least have the option for some form of payment...

Jameser

andrys

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:14 am

jameser_mi wrote:Blachy-

Don't get me wrong. I should be happy(and I am) I was approached about this. But if this is to help someone on their campaign career. I think I should at least have the option for some form of payment...

Jameser

"... at what terms" indicates they realize you'd want to be paid...

blachly

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:04 pm

I think a lot of those questions are totally up to you. As for copyright, I would retain the copyright and only give them limted usage. However, if the photo doesn't mean much to you and you don't really care, you could give them the copyright control. It just means that the photo isn't yours any more.

As for payment, again that is up to you. Probably the reason they approached you is because they were looking for something cheaper than Gettyimages which charges about $300 per photo for a royalty free image and a whole lot more for a managed rights image.

If it is a judicial campaign you shouldn't charge much because judges have a very difficult time raising money and they don't have much in the bank. If it is a congressman, you could get away with asking for more.

If it were me, and I didn't care about the campaign, I would retain the copyright but only in contract (they don't have to put the copyright in the marketing piece). I would ask for photo credit unless I disagreed with the ad. If this is something that could lead to other opportunities, I wouldn't charge. If you don't care if it is published, I would charge $100.

Hope this helps.

jameser_mi

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:28 pm

Great that clears it up. Thanks for your time :)

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Permission to use photo 2nd try