Board index Photography Artistic Questions Here's one that I can't figure out..can you?

Artistic Questions

Here's one that I can't figure out..can you?

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
artisticmindz

Here's one that I can't figure out..can you?

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:06 am

I process raw images with Zoom Browser to 350 dpi - 8x10

But when I open them up in photoshop. And then hit Resize. It reads that my images are 81 dpi - and size is like 28 inches x 38.(not excact just
around that size)

What's up, What's happening, What's going down??

I save the file from photoshop. Open it back up in zoom browser.(I didn't change the size, just saved the file). And it's still 350 dpi 8x10

How big are my photo's and at what dpi?

gummyb

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:12 am

It doesn't matter. When you resize (DO NOT check resample) in PhotoShop you will notice that the dpi changes. If you change the dpi instead, you will notice that the size changes.

That's why I don't use any other 3rd party RAW software. If you open with PhotoShop and enter 300dpi in the Adobe RAW, you'll end up with 300 dpi when the file is opened.

artisticmindz

I just check something..

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:29 am

Still confused...

Digital Professional says the image is 2201 x 2201 pixels, and 6.289 x 6.289 inches

Photoshop says the image is 2201 x 2201 pixels, and 27.172 X 27.172 inches

That I don't understand.

Thanks for your help

sheila

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:35 am

I would not bring images in ZB in the first place. Why not just bring the RAW images into ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) and do the RAW conversion in PS, changing the default DPI to 300 (or whatever) and then save as Jpegs or Tiffs or PDS. In fact, I would not use ANY Canon sofware :)

Just my two Aussie cents!

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

artisticmindz

Hmmmn

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:40 am

That's like 5 dollars when converted.

Sooo why not use ZB. Is there a difference?

Thanks for the input my little Aussie

jellophoto

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:53 am

The answer is this.

Taking the info from your second post your image file size is 2201 x 2201 pixels. So long as you do not resample (ie throw away pixels or add them,which is another story, then your image file remains the size quoted above.

The two programmes are simply presenting the information in two different but mathematically related ways. At 350 dpi the image size should be 6.289" x 6.289". (2201 divide by 350 = 6.289")

At 81 dpi there are less pixels used per inch so the image is automatically bigger by simple propoprtion. (2201/81 = 27.172")
However the resolution of image presented will be lower. 81 is adequate for monitor but 350 is a print resolution.

However the above contradicts your first post as the image has gone from being rectangular to square, which suggests you have cropped the image to make it square. Some programmes throw away the extra pixels, ie resample, while some simply mask them for presentation purposes so that the original file is still there beneath the mask. The proportional relationships however should remain the same. If in any doubt always check the file pixel size in properties, as this is the actual size of the file, however it is presented.

Final point, try to do your editing in one programme and stick to it. This will stop you making any mistakes or getting confused as to what you have done.

Hope that helps

Regards John

talleyfamilyphotography

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:31 am

Easiest tip: ignore DPI numbers (as a general rule) in any image editing program. If your picture came out of the camera at 3072 x 2048 (typical 6MP figure) and, after editing, it is still 3072 x 2048, then you haven't lost anything.

You can dabble around with the DPI settings to some value you prefer so that you can see what size print would be made at that DPI value, but don't get hung up on the DPI value reported by various programs (or the EXIF information from the camera, for that matter).

Another way of looking at the issue is asking someone why one store gives you ten dimes in change for a dollar and another gives you four quarters. You still have a dollar, it is just represented differently.

jellophoto

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:20 pm

I mostly agree with Talley regarding dpi, or more accurately pixels per inch (ppi). For people working with web images or home printing leaving your resolution as it came out of the camera is the right way to go. Inkjet printers are more than happy to work with a 72 dpi image (windows ), (I think 81 is the Mac standard). I have blown mine up beyond A3 quite happily with stunning results. The key is simply the more pixels the bigger you can print without blockiness or jagged edges. Even my old Fuji at 2.4M pixels could manage A3, though sharp edges were jaggy close up, but from a few feet away quite acceptable. Modern cameras of 8 and 9M will no doubt blow up to A1, but I can't afford the kit, not yet anyway.

Commercial offset printing is very different and involves the manufacture of plates. For this reason printshops are very fussy about their image resolution, which is dictated by halftone screen frequency. This is complicated unless you are familiar with it, but generally for colour work this means that resolution works out at around 300dpi, but is dependant on the settings of the equipment and will vary slightly depending on who you go to. The printshop you use will tell you what they want.

Regards John

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Here's one that I can't figure out..can you?