Board index Photography Technical Questions RAW uploads

Technical Questions

RAW uploads

Discuss technical aspects of photography
federicodinca

RAW uploads

Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:15 am

Hi, so i'm new to shooting in RAW .....and have tried to upload to Pbase but it does not work. Is this normal ? Do I need to convert to a smaller file size ?? And if so can you recommend which tools to use and how ?? many thanks in advance ...

mnoble

Re: RAW uploads

Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:53 pm

Best thing to do is to convert your work from RAW to JPG. Then upload the JPG files.

prinothcat

Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:03 pm

RAW format is just that, raw digital data (often in proprietary format) recorded from the sensor. It must be converted (translated if you like..) to a defined image format (.tiff, .jpg, etc) in order to be rendered viewable. Ever notice that if you open a RAW file on your computer you cannot save it as such after editing it? For practical purposes, .jpg is the preferred format for web display, usually in sRGB colorspace. People who shoot in RAW format are doing so to ensure that they are recording the maximum possible amount of image data to be used in the editing process later. Shooting RAW is useful when one is not committed to a final file format, or recognizes the potential need for large high resolution files for large format printing (but I digress..).

federicodinca

Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:19 pm

tks to you both ..clear now.

boliston

Post Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:09 pm

prinothcat wrote:RAW format is just that, raw digital data (often in proprietary format) recorded from the sensor. It must be converted (translated if you like..) to a defined image format (.tiff, .jpg, etc) in order to be rendered viewable. Ever notice that if you open a RAW file on your computer you cannot save it as such after editing it? For practical purposes, .jpg is the preferred format for web display, usually in sRGB colorspace. People who shoot in RAW format are doing so to ensure that they are recording the maximum possible amount of image data to be used in the editing process later. Shooting RAW is useful when one is not committed to a final file format, or recognizes the potential need for large high resolution files for large format printing (but I digress..).

If I edit a NEF in Capture NX2 i get the option to save it as a NEF after editing. It has the effect of increasing the size of the NEF from about 25MB to about 30MB normally.

prinothcat

Post Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:26 pm

boliston wrote:
prinothcat wrote:If I edit a NEF in Capture NX2 i get the option to save it as a NEF after editing. It has the effect of increasing the size of the NEF from about 25MB to about 30MB normally.

Which is possible because you're working with a proprietary file format and proprietary software. I'm fairly certain that this is not standard practice. Neither of my editors (iPhoto, Preview (yep it's a darn fine basic editor), GIMP) will save and edited .nef as an .nef.
Watch what happens when you save that edited .nef as an uncompressed .tiff.. they can go to nearly 80mb

septembermorn

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:41 am

My niece, who is an excellent photographer, shoots everything in raw, but it must be converted to .jpg to post. She says it is simple.

Board index Photography Technical Questions RAW uploads