Board index Photography Technical Questions Camera tweaks affecting RAW images?

Technical Questions

Camera tweaks affecting RAW images?

Discuss technical aspects of photography
bertone61

Camera tweaks affecting RAW images?

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:06 am

Talked to somebody who meant the camera tweaks, in this case sharpness, do not affect RAW images, but they of course do affect JPEG's.

Mh... when I open RAW images with NikonView the exif-data says 'sharpening normal'..... well this is just what has been read out.... but is this sharpness applied to my RAW images? I am convinced it is, when I take a look at my images..... so the info I got from this guy must be wrong...

what do u think?

CU
Steve

dougj

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:49 am

I don't shoot Nikon, but I suspect the sharpening information in the EXIF reflects the camera settings, as they would apply to a JPG. RAW files are not affected by in-camera settings such as sharpening, white balance, etc.

dharden

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:09 pm

Some RAW conversion software applies a certain amount of adjustment by default, a bit like the camera would when it makes a JPEG.

It could just be that the software is reporting the camera settings to you, as Doug described. Just check that it isn't actually applying any adjustments unless you want it to.

If I open an image from one of my cameras for the first time (that i've used the camera) in photoshop RAW converter then it applies a load of default adjustments, including noise reduction and sharpening. I have saved a set of defaults that now apply NO adjustment whatsoever and use those instead.

HTH!

bertone61

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:01 pm

dougj wrote:I don't shoot Nikon, but I suspect the sharpening information in the EXIF reflects the camera settings, as they would apply to a JPG. RAW files are not affected by in-camera settings such as sharpening, white balance, etc.

It is exactly as you say.

Thank you guys!

Cheers
Steve

Board index Photography Technical Questions Camera tweaks affecting RAW images?