Board index Photography Technical Questions Help needed with lense choices for Nikon D70....

Technical Questions

Help needed with lense choices for Nikon D70....

Discuss technical aspects of photography
sweetlilac

Help needed with lense choices for Nikon D70....

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:40 pm

Hey guys,

well i took the leap and upgraded my camera from a fuji S9500 to a Nikon D70.
I have a sigma dc 18 - 50mm 3.5 - 5.6 lense on it but i am finding it a bit restrictive in my shots.

My old camera the fuji had a focal range of 28 - 300mm. Plus a macro range of 1cm.

What im looking for is some advice from all u nikon owners on the best lenses to get for this camera.

I need primarily a decent lense for portrait shots as taking pics of my family and people is what i do most of.

I also need a kick ass macro lense as i love my close up work..

And i also need a telephoto lense .

And a wide angle lense too..

I dont have much money tho so maybe you can give me the best i can get and then the cheaper option.

I have also been told to get the nikon speedlight sb800 flash ?
Your thoughts on that would be welcome too.

Any of your suggestions would be absolutely fantastic.
I would appreciate advice from current nikon D70 users and other ppl who have had experience with this camera.

Thanks everyone.
If you dont wish to post on here then please pmail me or email me at sweetlilac@hotmail.co.uk

Bye !!!!!

a_zeitler

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:09 pm

Here is a list of lenses I use on my Nikon D200. I find them to be essential.

Portrait: Nikon 50mm f/1.8 (f/1.4 is better)
Portrait: Nikon 85mm f/1.8 (f/1.4 is better)
Small telephoto with Macro: Nikon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 (Has excellent macro function)
Wide Angle: Tokina 12-24 (Can't tell the difference from the Tokina and the Nikon 12-24)

Hope this helps.

bertone61

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:40 pm

tried 50mm/1,4 and 50mm/1,8 and found that the 1,4 is not better. The 1,8 produced visibly crisper images... No the 1,4 was not defective...

Sorry for beeing OT!

Cheers
Steve

llung

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:29 pm

The cheapest option, I would think, is to stay with the lens you have now, pick up a 50 1.8 (about 110 bucks) for portraits and a reasonably priced sigma or nikon 70-300 (about 150 bucks). Alternatively, you could get a Nikon 18-200 and the 50. If you want to get better quality gear, go wider or get a true macro lens then it will cost you considerably more.

sweetlilac

Post Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:11 pm

Hey everyone,

thanks to the ppl that bothered to reply to the post.
245 views but only 3 replies ?
i expected more from a bunch of photographers, i thought we were all supposed to be here to help each other out...

Anyway ive pretty much decided on the lense im gonna get now its the
Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens

However the prices dramatically vary, the average price in the uk is £550.00 but i have seen it for £329.00 in the us.

Anyone know of a decent site in the us that will ship this lense to the uk ???

llung

Post Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:41 pm

I think Adorama ships overseas - it certainly ships to Canada - and you might also try Ebay, which should have a bunch of new ones listed.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Help needed with lense choices for Nikon D70....