Board index Photography Technical Questions Shooting w/o CF Card Canon 350D

Technical Questions

Shooting w/o CF Card Canon 350D

Discuss technical aspects of photography
exposed

Shooting w/o CF Card Canon 350D

Post Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:31 pm

I made the mistake of taking my camera for a walk with no CF memory card. I tried to take a shot and got the "NO CF CARD" message.

No problem I thought, change the setting "Allow shooting w/o CF Card" to ON; take a small number of shots to internal memory; insert a card when back home; all will be well I thought. But this was not to be.

Camera Canon 350D with version 1.0.3 firmware. Where does the image go? There is no image after shooting w/o CF card. What is the point of shooting w/o CF Card option on the menu?

Confused and disappointed

dang

Post Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:42 pm

Possible use might be if you were hooked to a computer, but otherwise I can't think of a good reason to allow it to shoot without a card. As you've found out, there's no internal memory. You can check your owners manual for reasons if you'd like, since it's been awhile since I've read mine. Or maybe someone else recalls the specifics.

gemmf

Post Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:10 pm

I think that option is there so that no fool will be able to keep on shooting without a CF card. It's there to remind you that no images will be saved as there's no CF card inserted. It has saved my arse a few times, I must admit. :D

jdepould

Post Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:06 am

In-store demos?
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

marxz

Post Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:40 am

it allows tethered shooting (hooking up to a computer and shooting straight to the computer's hard disk).

the EOS's don't have any internal image storage memory
there is no .sig

slufoot45

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:32 am

:( I did shoot off and on one day without a card in my canon rebel xt. When i realized what was wrong I quickly changed it to let me know when there was no card in the camera. I certainly learned the hard way! I understand what you're saying. It made no sence to me either at first that they would even have that option and it must be for hooking up to the computer hard drive. Apparently it was set that way when I purchased the camera. Now it won't snap unless I have the card inserted.

andrewdavisphotography

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:19 pm

I still leave a CF card in my camera even when I am shooting tethered-I like the security of having a backup copy on the camera in case anything happens. Also, if I trip over my cable and disconnect it, the image doesn't make it to the laptop, and just gets lost. Shooting without CF card is only useful for a demo mode, in my opinion.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Shooting w/o CF Card Canon 350D