Board index Photography Technical Questions Action Shots Indoors

Technical Questions

Action Shots Indoors

Discuss technical aspects of photography
beachbeanb

Action Shots Indoors

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:42 am

Hi everybody - I have been using my Canon Rebel XTi for action shots outdoors ( surfing, skateboarding etc) but my son is on the yearbook staff and he has been trying to shoot basketball games indoors and the pictures are awful. They are blurry and unusable. I have been through the manual but can't find the answer. If any one of you have a suggestion - please let me know. As you can tell - we are REALLY novices but anxious to learn! Thanks in advance!

Beachbeanb

jdepould

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:04 pm

Fast shutter speed, wide aperture and high ISO. It's pretty tough if you don't have good glass.

I wrote this tutorial over at digital photography school that touches on the subject a little bit.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

andrewdavisphotography

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:31 pm

Get a flash and a diffuser to freeze the motion, then drag the shutter to bring in ambient light.
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/09/li ... bient.html

sean_mcr

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:51 pm

You're going to go to places where flash is simply not allowed and where you can't get in to a position where flash is a viable option. As jdepould pointed out, you need fast lenses if you're going to shoot that subject successfully. Flash alone is not enough

You can't apply that set up on strobist to a fast paced basketball game with no fixed subject
What uses having a great depth of field, if there is not an adequate depth of feeling? -

W. Eugene Smith

photoguy9

I use the canon 135mm f/2 with my 40d.

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:17 am

sean_mcr wrote:You're going to go to places where flash is simply not allowed and where you can't get in to a position where flash is a viable option. As jdepould pointed out, you need fast lenses if you're going to shoot that subject successfully. Flash alone is not enough

You can't apply that set up on strobist to a fast paced basketball game with no fixed subject

sean_mcr

Re: I use the canon 135mm f/2 with my 40d.

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:33 pm

photoguy9 wrote:
sean_mcr wrote:You're going to go to places where flash is simply not allowed and where you can't get in to a position where flash is a viable option. As jdepould pointed out, you need fast lenses if you're going to shoot that subject successfully. Flash alone is not enough

Ideal, i have one myself
What uses having a great depth of field, if there is not an adequate depth of feeling? -

W. Eugene Smith

Board index Photography Technical Questions Action Shots Indoors