Board index Photography Technical Questions Best apple desktop for editing

Technical Questions

Best apple desktop for editing

Discuss technical aspects of photography
kinginexile

Best apple desktop for editing

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:55 pm

I was wondering in case I go from PC to apple, what would be the best desktop from Apple to get (Home use, not super industrial). I see they range from aboiut 1199$ to 2199$, depending on operating system and screen. Would the 1199 fit the bill to edit big files from a 400D, and later 5D? Should I add an extra Ram to its 1GB basic utility?

Thanks

annayu

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:58 am

The best one is always the most expensive one :)
Apart from that, there are people who use iMacs for photoediting and are perfectly happy with them. If you use Photoshop you should consider at least 4 GB RAM.

marxz

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:49 pm

Thing to note is that now the iMacs support second monitors (sadly NOT the Apple 30" ) so either way you go (20" or 24") you can expand your desktop area at a later date. Large desktop area is one of the best productivity boosts you can get (surprisingly that's been backed up by Microsoft, surprising in that they don't sell video cards or monitors).

We've just got a couple of the new ones in (aluminum framed) at work and they are nice units. I still don't like the fixed foot - OK it tilts but it's fixed in the other axis but at least it can be mounted on a arm like I have for my studio displays.

Even the slowest iMac (or even the Mini Mac) handles CS3 well enough for part time professionals and serious amateurs (if you were actually a professional photo editor in a studio with a large/constant work flow you'd probably want to go to the MacPro range simply for competitive advantage).

Just make sure you don't try using CS2 as it runs like a dog under intel emulation... and that's one of the main reasons I'm sticking with my G5 at home until some time around the middle of next year as that's about when work will upgrade my CS license.
there is no .sig

inukshuk94

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:39 am

Faster is always attractive, but hey I've got a G4 Dual 1.42 Ghz, 2gb ram and it rocks. I've got CS Premium and Lightroom with no problems. I've just ordered a new graphics card the Radeon® 9600 Pro RoHS 256MB AGP and that's going to make a big difference as well. I'm in no rush to change. Plus with the Best HD's in it.

benjikan

Re: Best apple desktop for editing

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:39 am

kinginexile wrote:I was wondering in case I go from PC to apple, what would be the best desktop from Apple to get (Home use, not super industrial). I see they range from aboiut 1199$ to 2199$, depending on operating system and screen. Would the 1199 fit the bill to edit big files from a 400D, and later 5D? Should I add an extra Ram to its 1GB basic utility?

Thanks

I am using the MAC G5 twin 2.3 Ghz Tower with 8 Ghz of RAM and it is blazingly fast.

Ben :)

Board index Photography Technical Questions Best apple desktop for editing