Board index Photography Technical Questions Fuji S5Pro -- Colour Accuracy

Technical Questions

Fuji S5Pro -- Colour Accuracy

Discuss technical aspects of photography
enjayel

Fuji S5Pro -- Colour Accuracy

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:45 am

I've been trying to get my Fuji S5pro to 'accurately' reproduce colours in the red-purple range.. I've mostly been using the "F2" setting, which emulates Fujichrome slide film.

Pinks and bright magentas and purples tend to max out in 8-bit RGB, especially when shooting closeups of very intensely coloured flowers (e.g., petunias, cosmos, lupine, etc).

however, today I had an extreme case of colour misrepresentation - a deep magenta cosmos shows up as dark red.

http://www.pbase.com/enjayel/image/84670882

I've played around a bit with the tone and colour settings (-2 to +2 are the options), but it doesn't seem to make much difference..

oh.. and there aren't too many vendors that can read the S5pro's raw files either - Fuji changed the format with this release, so I have only the Fuji software for processing those :cry:

any ideas for camera settings to try would be appreciated..

cheers!!!

cmclaughlan

Post Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:47 am

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=23455702

Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) 4.1 has S5 Pro support (that link above is a quote from Thomas Knoll one of the Photoshop authors.

It's hard to say what is wrong without being able to see the original RAW.

How does it look when you use the standard conversion rather than the F2 setting ?

Colin

enjayel

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:31 pm

cmclaughlan wrote:It's hard to say what is wrong without being able to see the original RAW.
How does it look when you use the standard conversion rather than the F2 setting ?

Switching back to F1 mode and playing with the various parameters is my next step - especially with dynamic range and tone. I just need to find some time to do the proper experiments. If I find anything interesting, I'll post both raw/jpg.

I talked with another user at the camera store, who suggested part of the problem with oversaturation in the red/purple/blue range (esp. with the F2 setting) is due to how the sensor is made (over-representation of green)

However, he had no idea about the colour change - and unfortunately that day I didn't have time to check other settings.

Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) 4.1 has S5 Pro support (that link above is a quote from Thomas Knoll one of the Photoshop authors.

thanks for the tip - I'm fairly new to digital (photography) anyway - looks like a good site

nancy

Board index Photography Technical Questions Fuji S5Pro -- Colour Accuracy